Thread: Eating places in Bangalore

View My Garage

Cool Eating places in Bangalore

This thread will talk about all the best eating places in Bangalore. One can point the good and bad points about the food joint and rate it!

I shall start from myself..

I recently visited Bangalore and during my visit, I got to visit a traditional Vegetarian restaurant - Kamat Swad. This is at Koramangala

They serve food in Banana leaf and some 3 types of vegetables, jowar rotis with butter cubes in it, corn salad, bhajjis, 2 types of chutneys, puran poli with ghee, spicy butter milk and ends with a nice icecream fruit salad!

02062013402.jpg

To reach there:
    6th Block, Koramangala Bengaluru , Karnataka- 560095

Even though I'm a pure non-vegetarian, I loved this veg food.

One should visit it if you are in Bangalore!
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

Marshal
    View My Garage

Re: Eating places in Bangalore

food street.jpg
    Food Street, VV Puram

This is one street in Bangalore where life begins late evening and one can sample from steaming idlis, masala dosa to pav bhaji, chinese, chaat and more unusual preparations till late into the night. Light on the pocket, fresh and delicious. VB Bakery at one corner is a landmark bakery of old Bangalore. One of their unusual specials is bun stuffed with butter and spicy peanuts (called congress nuts locally). Dhumrot, a sweet made of white pumkin is another of their specials available only on Sundays. A must visit street in Bangalore.

Address:
    Food Street, Sajjan Rao Circle, V V Puram, Bangalore.

Marshal
    View My Garage

Masala Dosa and Uddina vada are delicacies unique to Bangalore like vada pav and pav bhaji is to Mumbai!! Although Masala Dosa is available in all of South India, the Bangalore variety has its uniqueness and fan following. Each area in Bangalore has its own set of 'Must Visit' places and the fan following is quite amazing. We could end up with a major argument with an old timer if any attempt is made at contradicting them........ Some must visit and old world eateries in Bangalore that serve these items include:

1. MTR--Opposite Lal Bagh mainentrance, Lalbagh road. Sinfully rich, it has an unique texture which has not been replicated anywhere else. The small cup of ghee that comes with the dosa to spread on top is another 'fattening' factor. The standard joke is that the morning walkers who go to Lalbagh for burning calories end up adding more calories by feasting on this dosa and the equation is skewed more in favor of the fat than the exercise!!

2. Not too far away from MTR and in Gandhi Bazaar is another old world hotel called Vidyarthi Bhavan. The dosa served here is crisp, melts in the mouth with a dark brown outer layer and soft inside. Each server carries upto a dozen dosas on one hand and the art of literally splasing the chutney on to the plates is something to be witnessed. The place is so crowded that the moment dosa arrives on your table, the next set of 4 people start staring at you until you finish so that they can occupy the table!!

3. Brahmin's Coffee Kendra: True to the name they serve some excellent filter kapi and perhaps the best idli and vada in town. The melt in the mouth idlis are to be dunked in a unique chutney that has a mild taste of mint. There is an exclusive counter where a person keeps pouring the chutney into the plate.

4. Malleswaram are has its set of Dosa and Idli joints ranging from a hole in the wall type to some peppy and happening places. Not to miss places include: Sri Sagar, Janatha Hotel and Janardhan Hotel (Kumara Park) for Masala Dosa. Veena stores is most popular for idli and vada which has to be had standing on the pavement.

5. New Krishna Bhavan opposite to Mantri Mall serves some amazing and different South Indian cuisine wich can tickle the taste buds. Some of the exotic stuff include Green Masala Idlis, Stuffed idli, Akki and Ragi roti, Jowar dosa, Appam, Sevai and Mangalore buns..... to be washed down with some excellent coffee.

6. Komala Refreshments--Cox Town. Another south Indian hotel that serves some authentic fare. Their specials include rava dosa and coffee.

The list can go on and the more I write the more controversial it can get. Not to forget the chain of restaurants by Adigas, Shanti Sagar, etc which also has its share of fans. New eateries are cropping up serving fares like Ragi mudde (ragi balls to be dunked in either veg or non veg sambar/ gravy), Davengere Butter Dosa, Akki and ragi Roti, etc. Worth mentioning places include Halli Mane (village home) and Halli Thindi (village snacks).

This is an attempt to showcase some typically Bangalore food and eateries and no claims are made related to authenticity, etc. B'lore team is most welcome to add more eateries and I hope we can compile a list for most cities.

Warmth and Bon Apetit

View My Garage

I missed adding few more places I visited in my last Bangalore visit:

1. The Egg Factory

IMG_20140727_182913.jpg

2. Millet Cafe

The cafe believes in serving fresh, simple and local food - so the menu is very native to Karnataka - hot ragi rotti, tangy and tasty green tomato chutney, wholesome soya grain and capsicum curry that tasted really good, raitha, brown rice, soppin palya (greens subzi) mildly spiced sprouted curry, doddpathre buttermilk curry, paayasa made of brown rice, channa dal and jaggery and methi and aralu (puffed rice) malted buttermilk. Note that the menu changes every day.

The Cafe is run by a lady and she informed us that no food colouring, artificial flavours or soda is used. The cafe also sells a variety of food products such as malts, flax seeds powder, ragi dosa mix and ragi thambittu (a traditional sweet preparation with ragi flour, jaggery and whole spices) amongst others.

Service was quick and the staff was very courteous. However, for healthy eaters, the portions could seem frugal.

IMG_20140727_183217.jpg

IMG_20140727_185145.jpg

Prasad who gave me company for the veg food that he loves the most
    IMG_20140727_185303.jpg

IMG_20140727_185450.jpg

IMG_20140727_185847.jpg

3. Hotel Adigas

IMG_20140727_211525.jpg

IMG_20140727_211545.jpg
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Well most of the places have been covered here already!

ALso try out Kamat Bugle Rock - though there are many other Kamat's who proide Jowar Roti meals, this place in Gandhibazaar is the best I have so far tried.

A few 100 meters towards Bull Temple from here you have " Halli Tindi" where you get special rural items like Halubai, Ragi Dosa, and many more which I have lost track. This place is a must try place as well.

And near Nettakallappa circle if you visit Srinivasa Cool Corner try the Bhel Puri there.

Sri Sagar (Cafe Tiffin Room) in Malleshwaram in my hard opinion serves the best ever Butter Masala Dosa.

Then go towards Bidadi to enjoy some good breakfast in Kamat Lokaruchi :-)

Then if you want some affordable but different food try Ragoo's in KR Road. You get some fresh made Pizza and western tasting main course.

And finally near National College Jayanagar there used to be a place called Painted Platters - they serve some unique Mousse & Pastries.

Then in Adyar Anand Bhavan try the Dahi Puri - in the Malleshwaram outlet.

Oooh! how much I miss dear old Bengaluru for eat outs!
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)
    4) Punto 1.3 Active (54000 kms Sold)
    5) Renault Kwid 1.0 EASY-R (New Arrival)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Nice one Rudrah! I especially liked the Egg Factory. Really serves something different! Eh?

And near Old Airport Road Domlur bus station there used to one Srinidhi Sagar (just a little ahead of Shanti Sagar). He used to prepare the best Sambar for Idly - something which was good to be just drunk like soup. Not sure if it is still there.

Then also try the Kottureshwara Davanagere Benne Dose near Nettakallappa circle. He also serves Girmit, Mirchi, and Paddu.

@Mods - sorry for a repeated post. Just got carried away by some sweet memories of Bangalore.
    Last edited by Vijethcm; 04-01-2015 at 05:52 PM. Reason: To add Apologies for a repeated post
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)
    4) Punto 1.3 Active (54000 kms Sold)
    5) Renault Kwid 1.0 EASY-R (New Arrival)

View My Garage

LOL Vijeth. I can understand when you see so many varieties flowing down as you read that you are bound to slip some or the other thing

BTW I'm not from Bangalore at all. Its just my 3rd or 4th visit but its such a beautiful place and hot one for eat outs. The awesome weather seems to add its own flavor to the foods there.

Being a Mumbaikar and a Navi Mumbaikar, I'm yet to explore many special eat outs at my own home town Hope someone starts another thread about it soon
    Last edited by Rudrah; 05-01-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Hi Rudrah. It is a serious compliment to have from a Mumbaikar that Bangalore is a great place for eat outs! Enjoy your future visits with even more eating outs!

D.L.
    View My Garage

Wow, it looks Yummyyy.....