Thread: Remapping the Hornet (115 bhp T-Jet to 140 bhp T-Jet)

View My Garage

Remapping the Hornet (115 bhp T-Jet to 140 bhp T-Jet)

We humans are a greedy lot. I hear you guys shouting "Speak for yourself man", allright, allright, I shall speak for myself.

I am greedy and power hungry. Not in the sense that generally associate this phrase with, but in the sense any auto enthusiast would use it, i.e. for BHP.

To give a bit of context, my first personal buy was a Palio 1.6 sport, I wanted 100 bhp and the rest all didn't matter. I test drove, fell flat and bought a brand new 1.6 sport in 2006.6 years and 60000 kms on, I wanted a faster, bigger car and while my heart was fixated on the magical figure of 150 bhp ( actually 160 in the Laura TSI), the mind ruled and I got a 1.4 T-Jet which will hereon be mentioned as the Hornet. The Hornet is quite a capable, car it produces a modest 115 bhp and 207 NM of torque,goes like stink and can put a lot of big cars to shame in its power and handling.

While the Hornet has been brilliant and I fall in love everytime I see her and get behind the wheel, there is this nagging thought in my mind that I am missing a few bhp, 25 to be precise. This gets compounded whenever I see a TSi go past, well not overtaking me, but wherever, you get the drift right?? Now, don't ask me why is it 25 and not 35. While I don't have any crazy power to weight ratio answer, I believe that the 1.4 t-jet in my Linea with a turbo which can take upto 2.2 bar boost can deliver upto 140 bhp in Indian conditions, i.e. air and fuel taken into account.

So, after much ado, I have decided to embark on this journey of increasing the power of my Hornet. While puritans would suggest that I should do a stagewise mod, i.e. CAI first and remap later, I don't think I would want to tamper with the air intake of the Hornet. I will work on the simple logic of getting the power output which the 1.4 T-Jet in the Bravo and Punto extracts in the UK, barring the intercooler.

As I see it. I have three options:

1. Go to a tuner in India and get a custom chip done.

2. Go to a tuner and remap it using maps from the UK

3. ECU swap

As of today, I really don't know how am I going to go about it, but wanted to take MFW along in this journey of mine. Thoughts, suggestions and donations are welcome from fellow members to support this noble cause. At the end of the day you would help freeing up the Hornet from the ghastly shackles of its maker.

cheers,
    If everything is in control, you aren't going fast enough.

View My Garage

Re: Remapping the Hornet (115 bhp T-Jet to 140 bhp T-Jet)

POWER!!!!!!!!!! Excellent plan... you can easily get a power increase of 30 BHP and a torque increase of 60Nm with a remap for the Jet... I would suggest Option 2 with a target of 145Bhp... woo hoo!

Have you considered eliminating back pressure with a Free-flow exhaust first?...mileage and bhp increase at the same time. Then remap after that for even better results.
    Maximize peak horsepower

I'm going to be around until the Atomic Energy Commission finds a safe place to bury my liver

View My Garage

Mnemonic - I was shadowing all your pursuits with the Hornet from the buying phase to the time you were enthralled by your first long drive down South. And I am not going to stop now Keeping eyes wide open for this one.

BTW need to be in the States for the next couple of weeks for some work. Wondering if there are any places in downtown Chicago which can offer any leads on this front (though whatever I have seen from the American tuning scene leads me to believe that they are more into supercharging than turbocharging their set of wheels)
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    BTW need to be in the States for the next couple of weeks for some work. Wondering if there are any places in downtown Chicago which can offer any leads on this front (though whatever I have seen from the American tuning scene leads me to believe that they are more into supercharging than turbocharging their set of wheels)
    That's awesome. Am not sure of the US as the turbojet was never introduced in the market as far as I know.

Our best bet would be tuning shops in Italy or the UK.

Robi can give you pointers on the US scene though!

BTW, you are going to be in Chicago in winter, be prepared for the chills. They don't call it the windy city for nothing (political winds not withstanding)

cheers,

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
    That's awesome. Am not sure of the US as the turbojet was never introduced in the market as far as I know.

Robi can give you pointers on the US scene though! BTW, you are going to be in Chicago in winter, be prepared for the chills. They don't call it the windy city for nothing (political winds not withstanding) cheers,
    I had experienced the Chicago chill when I had been there in Jan this year. Dec is going to be worse so have the all the apparatus right this time after last winter's lesson.
    Coming back to the topic, had seen a friend's Mustang installed with a Procharger 'out of the box' kit. This was essentially a supercharger but since I had little time to spend with this friend so couldn't explore more on this. May be will probe further this time I meet him. In keeping with the American funda of 'instant nirvana', superchargers are their answers to motoring thrills. Seems they don't have the patience for a spooling turbo - to each his own

View My Garage

Wow! So the already perky engine of the Hornet is about to get some more boost.

So what sort of an engine map are you thinking of mnemonic? Assuming that you do get a chance to customize the engine mapping to some extent, what are you looking for - improving driveability and reducing turbo lag or improve the top end? As we experienced on our Goa trip, the T-Jet runs out of steam after 5.5K. Knowing you, I'm sure an improvement in that area is what you will be hoping for..right?
    Last edited by roms; 05-12-2012 at 06:17 PM.

View My Garage

Folks-

My quest for the remap of the Hornet without going through the bench remap route seems to have borne fruit.

Came across these guys in Germany who have a plug and play box which is pretty much along the line of the Petes box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	novijet.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	2557

Fiat Tuning & Styling - Fiat Sportiva - Novitec Powerjet 2 - Additional ECU For 1.4 TJet / Multiair Novitec Powerjet 2 - Additional ECU For 1.4 TJet / Multiair 31396

The power goes up to 138 bhp and with our fuel conditions, I expect to get about 135.

Sid- if you are game, then I can look at getting them from Germany for both our jets. What say?

cheers,
    Last edited by mnemonic; 08-02-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added pic

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
    Sid- if you are game, then I can look at getting them from Germany for both our jets. What say? cheers,
    Jeez Ram, you shouldn't be doing this to friends - asking if one is game for more power and all

Once I had the Jet, I was actually looking to play around with my Palio 1.6. FFE was first on my mind but have heard too many versions of how this job can end in a disaster and how it is almost impossible to get the right people to get this job done. So had held onto my brake horses until then. All the demands on the pipes and hoses gave me an impression that I was building a rocket to the moon

Now, this is getting interesting.

How much of a hole is it in the pocket & it sure has to be plug an play buddy.
    OK -Looked up the answer to the money part. At a base price of 35K INR + 19% taxes + shipping - this is getting into the playboy territory. This will take up more than the entire Leh trip man. A bit too much for me for now
    Last edited by Sid; 08-02-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added cost part

Marshal
    View My Garage

Any updates on remap. Can you tell me the ecu model number T-jet uses.

View My Garage

Great plan and I am glued to this thread.

I have got my Punto 90HP remapped from Wolf Moto and If I am not wrong Wolf Moto is also working on remap for Tjet.
    Punter

FIAT Palio Adventure 1.6
    FIAT Palio S10
    TVS Apache RTR160

Marshal
    View My Garage

I am planning to remap my gtx. I already got necessary tools and sw. Hope I can pull out something interesting

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Punter View Post
    Great plan and I am glued to this thread.

I have got my Punto 90HP remapped from Wolf Moto and If I am not wrong Wolf Moto is also working on remap for Tjet.
    Awesome. So hows the difference from the usual VGT 90HP to the remapped one? Would you mind sharing your experience/details in a new thread on your Punto remapping?
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

Marshal
    View My Garage

Yes. It needs separate thread and what was the 0-100 timing earlier and present. Some quantifiable timing apart from 0-100 will be 30-80 kmph in 3rd, 40-100 in 4th, 60-120 in 5th gear roll on figures.

View My Garage

Sure I would like to share my experience however I am not the technical guys and I didnt calculate 0-100 speed before or after remap but one thing I would like to mention here is driveability @ lower RPMs and in gear acceleration is just superb.

I drove stock Punto 90HP and there is hell lot of difference inbetween remapped 90HP and Stock 90HP.
    Punter

FIAT Palio Adventure 1.6
    FIAT Palio S10
    TVS Apache RTR160

Marshal
    View My Garage

Eagerly awaiting