Thread: A build story

View My Garage

A build story

A bunch of friends decided to build a drag racer one day. They set to work in right earnest.

I shared a few pictures in http://myfiatworld.com/forum/f18/flames-smoked-492-new-post.html and eagle-eyed Mnemonic latched on to the tyre size and asked what it was.

Here are a few crucial clues: See the circled bits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2160.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	1672

Name:	100_2164.jpg 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	1673

Name:	100_2167.jpg 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	1674

Name:	100_2202-1.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	1675
    That is an original Brabus wheel on the rear

Name:	100_2205.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	1676
    Yes, that is a RS to the right.

Can you guess what this build is all about. Remember this was stage - I or the 2010 version. The story will follow later once you have had your fill of guessing.

Cheers,
    I do not honk. I downshift instead.

View My Garage

Re: A build story

Awesome- now that it is established it was indeed a drag racer, the guess work starts:

Circle 1:

Is this some aero device directing airflow into the rear fender area. The only anamoly is that it is only on the LHS, I wonder why?

Circle 2:

Those look like some custom made diffuser on the under-body to increase airflow. Can be a ballast too for weight distribution, but the positioning in the rear puzzles me.

Circle 3&4:

a) Is this some adjustable suspension setup which was custom made for the Peugeot?

b) Those larger rear tyres, are they supposed to give the tram rail effect?

Am glued in....

cheers,
    Last edited by mnemonic; 29-09-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: highlighting
    If everything is in control, you aren't going fast enough.

View My Garage

Trying to figure out the circle 1 stuff, its there both the sides. Is it something to adjust the weight or something placed to cover up something?.
    Last edited by MK..\M/; 29-09-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    "Knowledge is micro vision where as Wisdom is macro"
    - MK..\M/

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MK..\M/ View Post
    Trying to figure out the circle 1 stuff, its there both the sides. Is it something to adjust the weight or something placed to cover up something?.
    Ram is right on this one. It is there only on the LHS. (See pic 4 where the RHS 'C' pillar is clearly visible.

Quote Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
    Awesome- now that it is established it was indeed a drag racer, the guess work starts:

Circle 1:

Is this some aero device directing airflow into the rear fender area. The only anamoly is that it is only on the LHS, I wonder why?

Circle 2:

Those look like some custom made diffuser on the under-body to increase airflow. Can be a ballast too for weight distribution, but the positioning in the rear puzzles me.

Circle 3&4:

a) Is this some adjustable suspension setup which was custom made for the Peugeot?

b) Those larger rear tyres, are they supposed to give the tram rail effect?

Am glued in....

cheers,
    Picture 1 - Circle 1 = Yes it is a device for air flow. Look again - does it look like a deflector or does it look like a scoop?

Picture 2 has 3 parts circled. You are talking about only one (that is in the centre). Check all three.

Picture 3 should be a dead giveaway!! Look right in the centre of the circles drawn by me.

Picture 4 gives some subtle clues including an answer to the query on tyre size. See the wheel arch flares in relation to the tyres. See what is underneath and stop thinking suspension!

Now let us wait for Pragal, Rishi, Sanjeev, Vijay and others to weigh in with their opinions.

Cheers,

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ravveendrra B View Post
    Ram is right on this one. It is there only on the LHS. (See pic 4 where the RHS 'C' pillar is clearly visible.

Picture 1 - Circle 1 = Yes it is a device for air flow. Look again - does it look like a deflector or does it look like a scoop?

Picture 2 has 3 parts circled. You are talking about only one (that is in the centre). Check all three.

Picture 3 should be a dead giveaway!! Look right in the centre of the circles drawn by me.

Now let us wait for Pragal, Rishi, Sanjeev, Vijay and others to weigh in with their opinions.

Cheers,
    Damn- you guys moved the engine to the rear and made it a RWD. That explains the scoop, the additional bracing and the larger rear tyres to handle the power.

Phenomenal!

cheers,
    Last edited by mnemonic; 29-09-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typo

View My Garage

Damn- you guys moved the engine to the rear and made it a RWD. That explains the scoop, the additional bracing and the larger rear tyres to handle the power.

Phenomenal!

cheers,
    You are correct . I thought the empty space in front seen in the circle highlighting the area between the front wheel and wheel arch would be a dead giveaway. You got to the correct answer but by a different route.

Yes, it is India's first successful Mid-engine, RWD build. That is only part of the story. So look again at the circled bits for clues. You missed a biggie!

View My Garage

My bad,I counted the pics in reverse order. Damn good job of putting the engine in the middle.
    Last edited by MK..\M/; 29-09-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    "Knowledge is micro vision where as Wisdom is macro"
    - MK..\M/

View My Garage

Phenomenal!

cheers,
    Wow Ram! Great work there. Only after Ravveendra B mentioned it, one realizes that the third picture is actually a dead give away with regards to the positioning of the engine.

You are correct . I thought the empty space in front seen in the circle highlighting the area between the front wheel and wheel arch would be a dead giveaway. You got to the correct answer but by a different route.

Yes, it is India's first successful Mid-engine, RWD build. That is only part of the story. So look again at the circled bits for clues. You missed a biggie!
    I am just guessing here. The encircled area in fourth picture does not reveal much, but I have a hunch that it faintly reveals the underside of a nitrous oxide kit installed vertically. Is that the biggie we are talking here?

Marshal
    View My Garage

Hi,
    1. the First Pic is Showing the Air Scoop For Air Inlet of the Engine Which goes to the Air Filter Box it is Mounted Up Like A Snoorkel Cause due to the Aerodynamic Shape the Air Flow to the Rear Top Fender is Good.

2. the 1'st circle in the Second Pic is Of the Alloy Wheel of the 2.4 Honda Accord in India the 2'nd Circle is the Air Divertion's made by Wooden Plank for the Engine/Radiator Cooling Fans which will also help to cool the Intake Manifold 3rd Circle is the the Exhaust.

3. in the Third Pic the Left Circle is the Gap or lift Caused as the Front Engine is Removed. the right Circle is the Main Mounting Plate which is the part of the Monocoque Body which is Bolted to the Chassis cum Body on which the LowerArms and Suspention Components Are Mounted as the Car Is Made Rear Engine Rear Wheel Drive with Rear Indipendent Suspention as the whole Engine Cum Gearbox of Front Wheel Drive System is Mounted in the Rear to make it Rear wheel Drive

4. in the fourth pic it is the same part of Mounting Plate which i have said in the Above (Main Mounting Plate which is the part of the Monocoque Body which is Bolted to the Chassis cum Body on which the LowerArms and Suspention Components Are Mounted rest same AS ABOVE.)

well Ravee this is my thinking and point of view tell me if i am right or wrong TY.

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roms View Post
    Wow Ram! Great work there. Only after Ravveendra B mentioned it, one realizes that the third picture is actually a dead give away with regards to the positioning of the engine.

I am just guessing here. The encircled area in fourth picture does not reveal much, but I have a hunch that it faintly reveals the underside of a nitrous oxide kit installed vertically. Is that the biggie we are talking here?
    Bingo! Romil.

Quote Originally Posted by pragalb_f1 View Post
    Hi,
    1. the First Pic is Showing the Air Scoop For Air Inlet of the Engine Which goes to the Air Filter Box it is Mounted Up Like A Snoorkel Cause due to the Aerodynamic Shape the Air Flow to the Rear Top Fender is Good.

2. the 1'st circle in the Second Pic is Of the Alloy Wheel of the 2.4 Honda Accord in India the 2'nd Circle is the Air Divertion's made by Wooden Plank for the Engine/Radiator Cooling Fans which will also help to cool the Intake Manifold 3rd Circle is the the Exhaust.

3. in the Third Pic the Left Circle is the Gap or lift Caused as the Front Engine is Removed. the right Circle is the Main Mounting Plate which is the part of the Monocoque Body which is Bolted to the Chassis cum Body on which the LowerArms and Suspention Components Are Mounted as the Car Is Made Rear Engine Rear Wheel Drive with Rear Indipendent Suspention as the whole Engine Cum Gearbox of Front Wheel Drive System is Mounted in the Rear to make it Rear wheel Drive

4. in the fourth pic it is the same part of Mounting Plate which i have said in the Above (Main Mounting Plate which is the part of the Monocoque Body which is Bolted to the Chassis cum Body on which the LowerArms and Suspention Components Are Mounted rest same AS ABOVE.)

well Ravee this is my thinking and point of view tell me if i am right or wrong TY.
    A master at work!!

Absolutely brilliant = the alloy wheel of the Accord 2.4!

Yes - the engine mounting - brilliant again. You sure you do not want to get into the tuning / "custom build" business. You sure do know your stuff.

Only thing you were wrong about is the "wooden plank" for diverting air - what you see is the sheets used to cover the rear part of the sub-frame from an Accord, fixed there to reduce drag.

Absolutely brilliant.

BTW: At this stage the car did not have a nitrous kit. That came later and was in only for one season.

Cheers,

View My Garage

Ram,Romil and Pragal Great work
    FIAT USERS-Confidence is what you have when you don't really understand the situation.
    SANJEEV HARIKANT
    PALIO 1.2NV SPORTS(NOT YET SOLD)
    PALIO 1.3SDX MULTIJET(NOT YET SOLD)-DRIVING A JET ON INDIAN ROADS
    SIENA 1.2ELPS(NOT YET SOLD)
    FIAT 1100(NOT YET SOLD)
    VESPA 125(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA FZ16(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA R15 VER1(NOT YET SOLD)

View My Garage

Awesome Pragal. It was like a mastermind acing a competitive exam. Kudos to you.

Ravvee- quick one,is there any specific reason for the lone accord alloy? Am sure it didn't have anything to do with weight distribution.

cheers,

View My Garage

Awesome Pragal. It was like a mastermind acing a competitive exam. Kudos to you.

Ravvee- quick one,is there any specific reason for the lone accord alloy? Am sure it didn't have anything to do with weight distribution.

cheers,
    We tried the Brabus but they were too tall and were scraping the wheel well at launch, so we switched back to the OE Accord alloys on the rear. The photo showing the Brabus on the RHS was taken before the switch.

Cheers,

View My Garage

Well, I am just drooling & letting it all sink in.

It will take time but I will get there. It's almost like French that I studied in school & can make out only bits & pieces of it now when I see a sentence but I am lovin' it

Loved this guessing game Ravvee.....hats off!!

Pragal - Accord 2.4 alloy? Were you born in a garage? As Ravvee said, you should get into this business of mods man.

View My Garage

We want more....now the prelude is over, when is the show beginning.

Cheers,