Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine overheating, fan malfunctioning. Help 1.6

View My Garage

engine overheating, fan malfunctioning. Help 1.6

hi, a month ago, my 1.6 palio 85k done, fan motor got jamm, and fuse were blown off. replaced with new motor. worked fine for a week. now again its overheating, seems the motor is not working again. is there any problem with the temperature switch? or anywhere else? plz suggest

View My Garage

Re: engine overheating, fan malfunctioning. Help 1.6

Hi Rishi,

I had a similar problem with my Palio 1.6 about 2.5 years ago. I had posted the diagnosis (with major contribution from Doc. Sunil) on the forum then. Here is a copy of the same:

Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 - Overheating problems - RESOLVED
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:12 AM
    "Siddharth Shetty" <shettysid@yahoo.com>
    To:
    PalioUsersIndia@yahoogroups.com
    Hi all,

I bring you some good news & some bad news.

The good news is that it looks to be that my Stile 1.6 overheating problem has been resolved. The bad news is that I am not exactly sure what resolved the problem.

After the initial set of diagnostics(see my earlier email), the mechanic who fixed the problem evetually made 3 changes:

1) He replaced the temperature valve
    2) Flushed the radiator
    3) Cleaned the leads of the thermistor

He made all these 3 changes in about 3 hours of time while I wa at office & I was testing the car for the last two days. There has been a noticeable difference in my car's behaviour now in context of the temp needle. In the last two days of testing, at the most the needle goes upto half-way mark but the moment I get low traffic ahead of me & race upto the 4th gear or if I turn on the A/C the needle comes down & sits comfortably at the 25%/30% mark. This is what I was used to seeing earlier with my car until I started seeing the needle go up in the last 8 months.

I shared my disappointment with the mechanic that we are not able to pin-point the exact problem due to all the changes made at once(I am an IT support guy so have an objective/analytical approach to troubleshooting to understand what exactly caused a problem, hence you can understand my frustation here). At this stage, the mechanic said that he had a feeling that the problem could have mostly been fixed by replacing the temp valve rather than the radiator flush itelf.He said that "yes the radiator had some muck inside it & it was cleaned by him but that shouldn't be the main reason for resolving the problem". He also said that the leads of the thermistor were clean when he checked it but he cleaned them anyways since I had instructed him to do so.

Total cost - Temp valve replacement - 2200, labour - 600, total - 2800. He said that the radiator flush & the cleaning of the thermistor leads were complimentary since he did not use any chemicals for the former but used regular water.

I am much more at peace of mind now & feel as if my red hot lady has got her groove back, the problem is I just do know how she managed it:(

My apologies for others who were awaiting my response on this matter. You will be disappointed seeing my response.

Regards,
    Siddharth

Pune, Stile 1.6 Sport, F. Red, off to Goa this weekend

--- On Tue, 3/9/10, Siddharth Shetty <shettysid@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [PalioUsersIndia] Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 - Overheating problems
    To: PalioUsersIndia@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 9:25 AM
    Hi Vivek,

I am having exactly the same problem at this point of time.
    My Stile 1.6 is 2.1 years old & has 21k on the odo.

I am sharing with you the good advice that I had received from Doc. Sunil.My car is at the garage currently & I had anyways planned to share the final outcome of my car's over heating problem but I can share with you the following things for now:

1)First of all check for any coolant leakage. This can be best observed when you checked the floor where you keep your car parked. If there is no greenish spillover on the floor & if the area around the coolant container(under the bonnet) show no signs of spillage, then obviously coolant is not an issue.

2)If your temp needle comes down after you turn on the AC, the problem is with the temperature sensor or thermistor. You can try cleaning the the contacts of the wire connector to the temp sensor which is situated below the position of the electronic voltage distributor. The cleaning can be done with ordinary spirit and a clean cloth.

3)If your temp needle does not come down even after the AC is turned on, then the problem could be a clogged radiator. A radiator flush would solve the problem.

4)If even this does not help, the problem could be a leaking head gasket & replacing this gasket is the solution.

In my case, there is no coolant leakage & the temp needle does not come down even after AC is turned on. Therefore, points 1 & 2 are ruled out for me. Before we went to step no. 3, the mechanic suggested that I try replacing the ECU of my 1.6 with the ECU of another 1.6. He said that one of the PUG members(Pratik Pawar) who had a Petra 1.6 had a similar problem & it was resolved after the ECU was replaced. However, our attempt yesterday with a different ECU also did not resolve the problem, the indications remained the same.

Hence, today we are going to flush the radiator & I think this will resolve the problem.
    My 1.6 has been a darling over the last 2 years & this is the first major problem that I had with her. But I am thankful to Doc. for sharing his insights with me. I am that much more sure about where the problem could be when dealing with mechanics on this matter. I hope this is helpful to you too.

Will share the findings of the radiator flush in the forum later.

Regards,
    Siddharth

Pune, Stile 1.6 Sport, F. Red, 21200 kms & counting

View My Garage

There was another interesting input shared by a member on the same issue:

Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 10:34 PM

hi siddharth,

Had a similar problem with my palio 1.2 elx.My mechanic in Dahanu where I live¬ diagnosed it right.The fins on my radiator had been pressed probably under high pressure washing.So no air could pass through and the radiator was ineffective. he had each and every fin straightened out¬ and the problem was solved.Now the temperature gauge hovers around the quarter mark.Earlier it used to race upto the red level and my blood pressure used to follow suit. Needless to say my blood pressure levels are also doing better.

Sanjay ¬

View My Garage

I am no expert but here are a few option . Main reason for the engine heating up,

1. Low coolant level.

2. Electric Cooling Fan Failure :If the fan does not come up when the engine has reached its optimal temperature ,there could be two reasons,

a)Bad Electric Fan:Sometimes your fan motor will just burn out and your fan won't come on at all. To test this, find your radiator fan switch and disconnect the wiring harness. Get a jumper wire and insert it into both contacts, your fan should come on. Another way to test the fan is to turn on the air conditioning. Most, but not all, cars activate the cooling fan at either a medium or high speed when you turn on the AC.

b))Bad Radiator Fan Switch: There is a switch that tells your cooling fan to come on when your coolant reaches a certain temperature. The easiest way to test this switch is to disconnect the wiring harness and then run a jumper wire across the harness contacts. If the fan comes on, you need to replace the switch.

3.Thermostat Not Opening : The most common symptom of a failed thermostat is overheating at highway speeds.

4.Clogged Radiator.

Marshal
    View My Garage

Right thread at the right time. I am facing this problem for almost a year. First speed kicks around just below half mark and second speed fan kicks around 75% of the temperature meter.Few months back I have replaced the thermostat and the issue didnt resolve. I went ahead and cleaned the radiator by stripping the radiator not once but twice. Even then the meter runs at 75%. I have another issue when I switch on the A/C the second speed starts for 30 secs then stops for 15 secs again it starts. I thought the pressure A/C pressure sensor switch is the culprit and replaced with other one. The issue still persist,later it found out the A/C is low on gas and refilled twice in 2 months. The pressure switch looses the pressure hence the fan is stopping once sufficient pressure is reached second speed comes in. But the meter is showing 75% temperature that worries me. I think I need to replace the temperature switch which shown wrong values to the temperature console.

Regards,
    Vijay

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Palio View Post
    Right thread at the right time. I am facing this problem for almost a year. First speed kicks around just below half mark and second speed fan kicks around 75% of the temperature meter.Few months back I have replaced the thermostat and the issue didnt resolve. I went ahead and cleaned the radiator by stripping the radiator not once but twice. Even then the meter runs at 75%. I have another issue when I switch on the A/C the second speed starts for 30 secs then stops for 15 secs again it starts. I thought the pressure A/C pressure sensor switch is the culprit and replaced with other one. The issue still persist,later it found out the A/C is low on gas and refilled twice in 2 months. The pressure switch looses the pressure hence the fan is stopping once sufficient pressure is reached second speed comes in. But the meter is showing 75% temperature that worries me. I think I need to replace the temperature switch which shown wrong values to the temperature console.

Regards,
    Vijay
    May be your temp meter is showing wrong reading but better check it on examiner/scanner at what temp actually first and second speed fan operates.
    FIAT USERS-Confidence is what you have when you don't really understand the situation.
    SANJEEV HARIKANT
    PALIO 1.2NV SPORTS(NOT YET SOLD)
    PALIO 1.3SDX MULTIJET(NOT YET SOLD)-DRIVING A JET ON INDIAN ROADS
    SIENA 1.2ELPS(NOT YET SOLD)
    FIAT 1100(NOT YET SOLD)
    VESPA 125(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA FZ16(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA R15 VER1(NOT YET SOLD)

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rishi Lunawat View Post
    hi, a month ago, my 1.6 palio 85k done, fan motor got jamm, and fuse were blown off. replaced with new motor. worked fine for a week. now again its overheating, seems the motor is not working again. is there any problem with the temperature switch? or anywhere else? plz suggest
    As GTO suggested, you check whether fan is working by switching on the AC.If fan fuse is blown again then motor is culprit.
    FIAT USERS-Confidence is what you have when you don't really understand the situation.
    SANJEEV HARIKANT
    PALIO 1.2NV SPORTS(NOT YET SOLD)
    PALIO 1.3SDX MULTIJET(NOT YET SOLD)-DRIVING A JET ON INDIAN ROADS
    SIENA 1.2ELPS(NOT YET SOLD)
    FIAT 1100(NOT YET SOLD)
    VESPA 125(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA FZ16(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA R15 VER1(NOT YET SOLD)

Marshal
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MULTIJET View Post
    May be your temp meter is showing wrong reading but better check it on examiner/scanner at what temp actually first and second speed fan operates.
    AFAIK 2nd speed comes at 95C. But when the engine runs idle I couldnt able to make it run on the 2nd speed. Its only when on dense traffic needle raises to 75% that too after riding 8Km or so.

D.L.
    View My Garage

Kindly advise about the case related my siena 1.2, in which radiator fan starts with ignition on and continues remain till the ignition switch off.

Thanks

Marshal
    View My Garage

Looks like a stuck fan relay. Get it checked.

D.L.
    View My Garage

Hi,,

In my case fiat siena 1.2, radiator fan continuously runs once ignition switch on, though engine is cold.
    i have been told to replace AC pressure swtich which is silver with green colour socket.

I guess this will stop the fan even if engin is cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Hi Rishi,

I had a similar problem with my Palio 1.6 about 2.5 years ago. I had posted the diagnosis (with major contribution from Doc. Sunil) on the forum then. Here is a copy of the same:

Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 - Overheating problems - RESOLVED
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:12 AM
    "Siddharth Shetty" <shettysid@yahoo.com>
    To:
    PalioUsersIndia@yahoogroups.com
    Hi all,

I bring you some good news & some bad news.

The good news is that it looks to be that my Stile 1.6 overheating problem has been resolved. The bad news is that I am not exactly sure what resolved the problem.

After the initial set of diagnostics(see my earlier email), the mechanic who fixed the problem evetually made 3 changes:

1) He replaced the temperature valve
    2) Flushed the radiator
    3) Cleaned the leads of the thermistor

He made all these 3 changes in about 3 hours of time while I wa at office & I was testing the car for the last two days. There has been a noticeable difference in my car's behaviour now in context of the temp needle. In the last two days of testing, at the most the needle goes upto half-way mark but the moment I get low traffic ahead of me & race upto the 4th gear or if I turn on the A/C the needle comes down & sits comfortably at the 25%/30% mark. This is what I was used to seeing earlier with my car until I started seeing the needle go up in the last 8 months.

I shared my disappointment with the mechanic that we are not able to pin-point the exact problem due to all the changes made at once(I am an IT support guy so have an objective/analytical approach to troubleshooting to understand what exactly caused a problem, hence you can understand my frustation here). At this stage, the mechanic said that he had a feeling that the problem could have mostly been fixed by replacing the temp valve rather than the radiator flush itelf.He said that "yes the radiator had some muck inside it & it was cleaned by him but that shouldn't be the main reason for resolving the problem". He also said that the leads of the thermistor were clean when he checked it but he cleaned them anyways since I had instructed him to do so.

Total cost - Temp valve replacement - 2200, labour - 600, total - 2800. He said that the radiator flush & the cleaning of the thermistor leads were complimentary since he did not use any chemicals for the former but used regular water.

I am much more at peace of mind now & feel as if my red hot lady has got her groove back, the problem is I just do know how she managed it:(

My apologies for others who were awaiting my response on this matter. You will be disappointed seeing my response.

Regards,
    Siddharth

Pune, Stile 1.6 Sport, F. Red, off to Goa this weekend

--- On Tue, 3/9/10, Siddharth Shetty <shettysid@yahoo.com> wrote:

Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 9:25 AM
    Hi Vivek,

I am having exactly the same problem at this point of time.
    My Stile 1.6 is 2.1 years old & has 21k on the odo.

I am sharing with you the good advice that I had received from Doc. Sunil.My car is at the garage currently & I had anyways planned to share the final outcome of my car's over heating problem but I can share with you the following things for now:

1)First of all check for any coolant leakage. This can be best observed when you checked the floor where you keep your car parked. If there is no greenish spillover on the floor & if the area around the coolant container(under the bonnet) show no signs of spillage, then obviously coolant is not an issue.

2)If your temp needle comes down after you turn on the AC, the problem is with the temperature sensor or thermistor. You can try cleaning the the contacts of the wire connector to the temp sensor which is situated below the position of the electronic voltage distributor. The cleaning can be done with ordinary spirit and a clean cloth.

3)If your temp needle does not come down even after the AC is turned on, then the problem could be a clogged radiator. A radiator flush would solve the problem.

4)If even this does not help, the problem could be a leaking head gasket & replacing this gasket is the solution.

In my case, there is no coolant leakage & the temp needle does not come down even after AC is turned on. Therefore, points 1 & 2 are ruled out for me. Before we went to step no. 3, the mechanic suggested that I try replacing the ECU of my 1.6 with the ECU of another 1.6. He said that one of the PUG members(Pratik Pawar) who had a Petra 1.6 had a similar problem & it was resolved after the ECU was replaced. However, our attempt yesterday with a different ECU also did not resolve the problem, the indications remained the same.

Hence, today we are going to flush the radiator & I think this will resolve the problem.
    My 1.6 has been a darling over the last 2 years & this is the first major problem that I had with her. But I am thankful to Doc. for sharing his insights with me. I am that much more sure about where the problem could be when dealing with mechanics on this matter. I hope this is helpful to you too.

Will share the findings of the radiator flush in the forum later.

Regards,
    Siddharth

Pune, Stile 1.6 Sport, F. Red, 21200 kms & counting

Marshal
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by alankar View Post
    Hi,,

In my case fiat siena 1.2, radiator fan continuously runs once ignition switch on, though engine is cold.
    i have been told to replace AC pressure swtich which is silver with green colour socket.

I guess this will stop the fan even if engin is cold.
    Its not the case. The pressure switch is a 5 pin relay. I will list out the pinout function roughly not in order.
    1. +12V (the moment when you turn on A/C switch)
    2. -12v
    3. +12v Compressor line to ecu. (Palio compressor is controlled by ecu)
    4. pressure switch control, Fan line in
    5. Pressure control , fan line out.

The moment you turn on the ac switch +12V, -12V gets energized this makes the ecu and A/C compressor will be engaged. This causes raise in pressure , once the pressure passes preset spring tension of the pressure swith pin 4 and 5 gets in contact. This causes the ecu to start the second speed. If the pressure drops the switch gets disengaged and the ecu has predefinition timer so the fan continues to run for 15 more secs. This is how the palio ecu controls the A/C.
    Coming to your problem, underneath the batter box there are 3 relays. 1 for A/C engagement clutch and other relay is for the fan. If the relay got struck the moment you turn on the key the fan keeps of running or if the temperature probe is faulty then there is a chance that the ecu send +12v to the relay to start the fan. But its certainly not with the A/C pressure switch.

D.L.
    View My Garage

Thanks for the reply.

just to add into the same already change one temperature sensor mounted on engine amounting Rs.1100/- it is in red colour though my earlier one of black colour.
    Am highlighting A/C pressure switch because if that connections removes then fan stops in ignition mode.This started recently when i change fuel pump motor.

As per your reply, how to check temperature probe?

Can u share ur contact no to clarify in detail.

Thanks.

Marshal
    View My Garage

Pressure switch is not a costly item. There is a possibility the spring inside the switch is struck, You can give a shot. Take it out from your friends car and swap it whether the issue is really gone. I would still suggest to check the relays under the battery

D.L.
    View My Garage

Now a days, i am also facing the same kind of problem in my palio stile 1.6. Suddenly one day i find the coolant box empty and heat needle going around 75%. Stopped the car and checked the coolant is not there. By the way coolant was changed slightly more than a year back. For the time being filled with water, but next day to and fro from office( approx 25 kms ) , coolant box is again empty. Yesterday went to Vecto FASS to get it checked and the service advisor after checking is telling me that there is a leakage from thermostat valve and some dummy cap below the engine or inside that costs few hundreds but the labour asked by them is huge 10k to replace this part and i was like give my car back. Anyone else faced same kind of problem. And from few months i was feeling the same heating problem, needle was always slightly above half mark in bumper to bumper traffic without AC on. With AC on there was no problem.
    First actions i am expecting to do is flushing the radiator and get the thermostat valve checked or changed or remove the fins inside it as suggested by PB.

but do anyone knows about slight leakage from coolant dummy's ( plug as shown in pic )as suggested by fass.
    I am attaching the pic of the part and link of 99rpm and part number.

Suggestion given by fass is : Thermostat valve and coolant dummy's need to be replaced.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7298.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	12756

99rpm link: https://www.99rpm.com/fiat/cylinder-...tra-stile.html
    part no: 14329101

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Prateek