Thread: Making of the FFE

View My Garage

My FFE in action

Hi,

Last night, I received a request to share the video/sound of the sound of my FFE. Here you go!

I am sharing the link to the youtube clip.

Cheers,
    I do not honk. I downshift instead.

View My Garage

Making of the FFE

The GTX has a lot of punch, I soon wanted more.

I checked the rules for drag racing. Anything in the internals was a no-no. A re-map was a possibility. But a remap would not be too useful unless some modifications were done to the engine.

Two areas that were open according to the rule book were intake and exhaust. I did not want to mess with the intake and go in for 'performance' filters etc. as the car was a daily driver and ran in fairly dusty conditions. I did not want all that dust to mess with the innards of the engine.

So exhaust it had to be. I kept an eye on my driving habits and consciously made notes of where I would like additional power. I soon Identified that I wanted more power in the higher end of the rev range. I drove the car in the low revs only in thick traffic and power at those speeds is useless. I already knew the difference between a 4:1 header system that was excellent for the track but not so useful for daily drives and a 4:2:1 or tri-Y system that spread the power band out a little. In theory the tri-Y system is supposed to give two peaks but that is not how it works because most engine bays do not give scope for exactly equal primaries or secondaries. Well I would have to live with that.

I then hunted for headers & secondaries for the Palio that would give additional power above 3000 rpm and again around 5500 rpm. There was nothing available in the market. Even the few guys who had FFEs for the Palio had ones that would work only in the low to mid ranges. This meant they would stifle the engine at the higher revs.

So it was the drawing board and calculator for me.

What I had was:

Palio (182.B6.000)

Port = 2” X 1” = 2 sq.in or 50.8 mm X 25.4 = 1290.32 sq.mm

1.5” Pipe dia = 38.1 mm r = 19.05

Area = π r2 = 3.14 X 362.90 = 1139.50 sq.mm.

I finally figured out that I needed the following:

Primary = 14.98” length in 1.5” dia. Length being measured from top of exhaust valve to fork in ‘Y’.

Secondary = 14” length in 2.0” dia. from fork in 1.5” dia ‘Y’ to fork of 2.0” ‘Y’.

Total length = 29” from top of exhaust valve to fork of 2.0” ‘Y’.

Collector box lengths = 5.876”

The material finalised was stainless steel because it kept the heat in, if the exhaust gases lose heat they lose velocity and more importantly SS would not corrode.

View My Garage

Re: Making of the FFE

Once the pipes were procured, we went to work. The first thing to do is make a plate that connects the headers to the engine block. A stainless steel plate was procured and sent to a CNC chap alongwith a gasket/packing and the old CI plage for reference. The CNC guy cuts the SS plate to the exact dimensions required. Once this fixing plate is ready, the pipes for the four primaries are bent using a hand mandrel. Since I wanted sequential headers i.e. where the cylinders are joined in the sequence alternate to the firing order the routing of the primaries was a little difficult. Since the 1.6 fires in the 1-3-4-2 sequence, the primaries of 1 & 4 had to be joined and the primaries from 2 & 3 had to be joined together. If I had done the traditional method 1&3 would be joined while 2&4 would be joined making life easier.

Once the pipes were bent they had to be welded to the plate - not an easy task as one had to get the angle right while ensuring the whole thing fitted in the engine compartment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ffe palio.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	578

Above & below:The primaries welded to the plate.

Name:	ffe palio wip.jpg 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	579

Name:	07022012285.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	580
    The secondaries coming down from the engine bay

Name:	07022012286.jpg 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	581
    The flex pipe is important to isolate engine vibration from the rest of the car

Name:	07022012287.jpg 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	582

A view of the tail pipe going back to the end.

Name:	07022012288.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	583
    The tail pipe swings to the left of the car to go past the fuel tank and rear suspension

Name:	07022012294.jpg 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	589

A bend in the pipe taking it up to cross the rear suspension.

Name:	07022012295.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	590
    The joint of the end-can getting set before welding

Name:	07022012292.jpg 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	587

We first tried using the OE end can with a straight through pipe and glass-wool packing

Name:	07022012290.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	585

Name:	07022012289.jpg 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	584
    Another view of the OE end can

Name:	07022012293.jpg 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	588

Above and below a view of the tail pipe as it goes through the end can

Name:	07022012291.jpg 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	586

We tried the modified end-can but found that though the flow was good it was giving a weird sound so we dropped it.

Name:	07022012297.jpg 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	592
    Waheed the master welder working on fixing the end-can. In the process of working on this FFE he did a 'haath-saaf' on welding SS.

Name:	07022012296.jpg 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	591
    A view of the end-can after fixing.

Name:	07022012298.jpg 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	593
    HKS was what we chose due to its low backpressure and great bassy sound at low revvs but a proper screamer above 4K

View My Garage

Re: Making of the FFE

Ravvee-

You made my day. This is the post that i was waiting for. I will zealously follow this thread and get enough motivation to get this done on my 1.6.

Keep it coming....

cheers,
    If everything is in control, you aren't going fast enough.

View My Garage

Re: My FFE in action

Pure and unadulterated music. Now I am oh so tempted to see the beauty in person and get behind the wheel.

Will plan a trip to Hyderabad very soon.

cheers,
    If everything is in control, you aren't going fast enough.

Marshal
    View My Garage

Raavee: Why there was too many right angle bends in the system. With the space available, pipes can be bended little straighter. Dropping the cat con would definitely breathe easier. Does this affect the engine mileage. If possible can you share the mileage u are getting in the city runs

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Palio View Post
    Raavee: Why there was too many right angle bends in the system. With the space available, pipes can be bended little straighter. Dropping the cat con would definitely breathe easier. Does this affect the engine mileage. If possible can you share the mileage u are getting in the city runs
    What space? There is hardly any space between the engine, the bulkhead, assorted pipes, etc. we also have to give place for the pipes to move due to engine rocking on the mountings. It is a pain bending stainless steel pipes on a mandrel. This was the best we could do given the tight routing.