Thread: Car maintenance in the times of mandatory lock-down!

View My Garage

Car maintenance in the times of mandatory lock-down!

Given that our cars are more like family members to us auto enthusiasts, how do we make sure that they remain healthy during this 21 day lock-down that they too will be facing? Lets have some important pointers and suggestions going so it can benefit all. My two cents:

1] Usually we are advised to disconnect the battery terminals if the car will remain stationery for multiple weeks or so. But in the present scenario, it would be better to start the car once every few days and run the engine for atleast 10 minutes if not more. It will take time to reach operating temperature, but it would be good to get the engine oil, fuel, coolant, etc running through the system. Will keep the fuel pump primed as well;

2] Getting the engine up to operating temperature once a while may also keep rodents at bay. Else, a stationery car’s engine bay is an invitation for rodents to make home. As an added precaution, I make small tobacco filled pouches with a couple of holes in them (about 6-8 pouches should be good) and tie the pouches on cables all around the engine bay;

3] If possible, drive around for a bit within your car park. If that’s not possible, move your car around so that the tyres rotate. You don’t want the tyres to ‘square off’ or ‘flat spot’ on that one bottom patch of tyre which has taken the weight of your car for days at end. Also, keep the tyres inflated to optimum levels. A cycle pump along with a reliable air pressure gauge can be used in case you don’t own an electric pump;

4] Keep your fuel tank filled up as much as possible. This will help in minimising evaporation of the fuel and also avoid moisture condensation, thus ultimately preventing rust formation in the fuel tank;

5] Roll down your windows for a while for air to circulate within the cabin;

6] Do not engage the handbrake as leaving it engaged for a long time can result in the brakes jamming. If there is a probability of rolling off, consider using bricks / piece of wood and keep the car parked in 1st gear;

7] Park your car in a covered parking, if possible. Wash your car regularly, preferably with your own two sanitized hands!

Just a few things that I thought of penning down since I plan to follow the above. Please add / correct any of the pointers mentioned above.

Cheers!

Name:  Man-covering-classic-car_Getty-e1548889438291.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  151.4 KB
    Last edited by roms; 25-03-2020 at 06:19 PM. Reason: car maintenance, car praked, lock down
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee - Sold
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

View My Garage

Re: Car maintenance in the times of mandatory lock-down!

While i won't be doing point no. 1, i will definitely take the car to the (allowed by authorities) run to the market for groceries / veggies.
    Members doing the same are advised to take the precautions of wearing mask and gloves.
    Regarding tobacco pouches - it will be difficult to source tobacco at this time.

Take care.
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

View My Garage

Thanks for sharing this, Roms

Been following almost all points mentioned however regarding the 6th point I wanted to know -

Whats the harm in engaging the gear instead of handbrake for weeks or months? I understand with the handbrake, in long term it causes the rear wheels to jam.
    Last edited by Rudrah; 08-04-2020 at 10:50 PM.
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rudrah View Post
    Thanks for sharing this, Roms

Been following almost all points mentioned however regarding the 6th point I wanted to know -

Whats the harm in engaging the gear instead of handbrake for weeks or months? I understand with the handbrake, in long term it causes the rear wheels to jam.
    As such, there should be no issues with keeping the car parked (for about a month or two at most) with 1st gear engaged. Similarly, for automatic cars with Torque Converters, the park position or 'P' on the gear lever will mechanically lock the wheels without the involvement of brakes.
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee - Sold
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0