Thread: Probable resolution for engine rpm increasing!

View My Garage

Probable resolution for engine rpm increasing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-07-10 at 2.07.38 PM.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	12980

I have had an issue with engine rpm increasing to 1000 rpm intermittently since the past couple of weeks (with or without a/c or other electrical loads). The issue would go away once the car was restarted but would refsurface after a while. This is what the voltage multimeter reads when the rpm rises. It should always read above 13 volts with all electronics and electrical loads. Checked with VCDS (VWAG diagnostics tool) and nothing showed up. Battery is two months old so that was ruled out. That makes alternator the culprit or the grounding wires. It turned out that the grounding wire attached to alternator was loose, removed and cleaned it up and the problem has seemingly not come back since yesterday. Had read the same as a probable solution on online forums as well. Keeping my fingers crossed, else will need a new alternator����

Sharing the above so that other members can first check the grounding wires before opting to buy a new battery / alternator, can help save ����. Will update if the resolution changes and I indeed have to change the alternator (I hope not)

Although this is an issue related to my Skoda Rapid MPI auto, this scenario could arise in any given car and thus, is a relatable problem for every car owner.
    Last edited by roms; 10-07-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee - Sold
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

View My Garage

Re: Probable resolution for engine rpm increasing!

Forgot to post what the multimeter shows when there is no increase in engine speed due to the above issue.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee - Sold
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0