Thread: Upgraded tyres to Kenda Komet SPT1 - Palio Stile 1.6

View My Garage

Upgraded tyres to Kenda Komet SPT1 - Palio Stile 1.6

Its been a year since i changed my tyres from Yokohama C Drives to the Taiwanese brand - Kenda. Oh yes the Kenda that are also seen on Bicycle

I had a great experience with the Yokohama C Drives for 5 years that i used. It never failed upon me in unexpected situations. I was keen for moving on to its newer version but unfortunately Yokohama didn't brought the updated C drives in India. They got a balanced variant called as Earth One instead. Secondly as car has aged, I thought its time to upgrade but the tyres needed to be changed asap as i was facing harsh, noisy rides plus the wheel alignment wasn't working due to the old age of the C drives. Hence after a lot of thoughts and feedbacks from Roms, I changed to Kenda Komet SPT1 - KR10. Roms had also changed his Palio tyres to Kenda but it was a Kenda Komet Plus model. He was happy with it. Since I thought I might sell the car going ahead hence this would be a good deal.

The dealer didn't had it that time so went for the SPT1 model. I was already on the 185/65/R14 profile with the Yokos hence continued the same. The main factor to go for Kenda was it was still a known brand, cheap to own and decent feedbacks on other forums.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180512_160652.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	12969

Name:	IMG_20180512_160701.jpg 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	12970

Kenda v/s Yokohama C Drives (5yrs old)

Name:	IMG_20180512_170916.jpg 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	12971

After wearing the shoes

Name:	IMG_20180512_172353.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	12972

Name:	IMG_20180513_140547.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	12973

The ride quality in 1 year so far has been good, still soft and quiet. No harshness experience. People say (those who haven't owned) in long term they will deteriorate but lets see.

Kenda Website: https://www.kendatire.com/en-us/
    Last edited by Rudrah; 06-05-2019 at 06:08 PM.
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

Re: Upgraded tyres to Kenda Komet SPT1 - Palio Stile 1.6

One issue occured on the day I bought the tyre. During the wheel alignment, the guy observed that the Front left side toe was tight and unable to open to adjust. It was jammed completely. Due to that my steering wheel position was bit in left direction. I was told to get the car to a mechanic and heat treatment so that it will be free to adjust.

As lazy as you can call me i lived with it for a year :( Now due to another issue with alternator bearing replacement, i had to redo the wheel alignment. So this time also the guy faced the same issue. Got it to the welder and gave the heat treatment and fixed the issue.

Now the steering wheel is back to its center position and wheel aligned correctly.
    Last edited by Rudrah; 06-05-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!

View My Garage

It was indeed disconcerting to drive the car with the ill-caliberated steering wheel, don't know how you went on with it for a year! I guess I don't have as much patience as you do

Good to know that the front left tie rod end issue is fixed. Next time you come to Santacruz, show it Trevor once to check if alignment is indeed ok. Infact, I would suggest you do this once you pick up the car from Biju in this week itself.

Good to know that the 'economy' tyres are holding up well with soft ride quality. The monsoons will be a test for them though.
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee - Sold
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roms View Post
    It was indeed disconcerting to drive the car with the ill-caliberated steering wheel, don't know how you went on with it for a year! I guess I don't have as much patience as you do

Good to know that the front left tie rod end issue is fixed. Next time you come to Santacruz, show it Trevor once to check if alignment is indeed ok. Infact, I would suggest you do this once you pick up the car from Biju in this week itself.

Good to know that the 'economy' tyres are holding up well with soft ride quality. The monsoons will be a test for them though.
    thanks, by now you know me how i'm tolerant and filled with patience

True, I have to be observant how good they hold on to the monsoons. The Yokohama C Drives was super cool in these times.