Thread: Clearing the clogged a/c drain - If the block is near the bottom / FIAT Petra 1.6

View My Garage

Clearing the clogged a/c drain - If the block is near the bottom / FIAT Petra 1.6

While going through the old yahoo mails, I found this post I had made on PUG some four years back.

The trouble was water accumulating on the floor of the Petra during the dry season. After 15 minutes of driving, the floor mats would get damp, and after some time, there will be a pool of water on the passenger side.

Multijet / Sanjeev Suggested this could be a blocked a/c drain, as water was not dripping under the bonnet while parked with the a/c on. To inspect, passenger side seat has to be moved all the way back and after kneeling at the passenger side door, look towards the raised portion below the middle of the dashboard. A small black vertical pipe of half inch diameter can be seen going down and joining a bush on the floor, near about where the right foot of the co-driver would be.

Pull the vertical pipe out from the bush on the floor without disturbing the connections above -Be careful, as, if the floor outlet is blocked, water may ooze out.

Now slowly prise out the black rubber bush from the floor and wash it thoroughly with some strong detergent. Use a small stick or something to clean any lingering dirt from the hole in the middle of the bush. The shape of the bottom of the bush would be conical, it can be cut / shortened a bit if needed, to ensure free passage of condensation drops from the a/c.

I also cut off an inch long piece of a garden hose and inserted on the bottom end of the rubber bush / drain, to help it retain the circular shape and to keep the downward drain hole open.

This will take care of the block near the lower portion of the drain system. There can be block on the top of the pipe (Near the tray) also, but that would need a better and more difficult inspection.

But in my case, when the a/c is on, water drips freely on the floor under the bonnet and I think this has taken care of the problem for now.

Posting a few pics too...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PETRA AC DRAIN 1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	12752

Name:	PETRA AC DRAIN 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	12753

Name:	PETRA AC DRAIN 3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	12754
    Thanks and Regards,

Deepak K.V.

Maruti 800
    FIAT Palio Stile 1.1 SLE
    FIAT Petra 1.6 EL
    TATA Safari DiCOR 3.0 LX

View My Garage

Re: Clearing the clogged a/c drain - If the block is near the bottom / FIAT Petra 1.6

Very useful information. Thanks for sharing.
    If the car is parked under the tree, the chances of leaves getting accumulated on AC tray is more. Even that could lead to water clogging. For that you will have to remove the tray and clean it. To avoid leaves entering the AC system, try to cover the wiper grill(the black part with vertical grooves) with plastic or cloth whenever car is parked.
    FIAT USERS-Confidence is what you have when you don't really understand the situation.
    SANJEEV HARIKANT
    PALIO 1.2NV SPORTS(NOT YET SOLD)
    PALIO 1.3SDX MULTIJET(NOT YET SOLD)-DRIVING A JET ON INDIAN ROADS
    SIENA 1.2ELPS(NOT YET SOLD)
    FIAT 1100(NOT YET SOLD)
    VESPA 125(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA FZ16(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA R15 VER1(NOT YET SOLD)

View My Garage

Re: Clearing the clogged a/c drain - If the block is near the bottom / FIAT Petra 1.6

Quote Originally Posted by MULTIJET View Post
    Very useful information. Thanks for sharing.
    If the car is parked under the tree, the chances of leaves getting accumulated on AC tray is more. Even that could lead to water clogging. For that you will have to remove the tray and clean it. To avoid leaves entering the AC system, try to cover the wiper grill(the black part with vertical grooves) with plastic or cloth whenever car is parked.
    How can the tray be removed and cleaned?

Also, is there a way to get this done by blowing compressed air from one end of the dash to other? Someone once told me this can be done...Is this correct?
    Thanks and Regards,

Deepak K.V.

Maruti 800
    FIAT Palio Stile 1.1 SLE
    FIAT Petra 1.6 EL
    TATA Safari DiCOR 3.0 LX