Thread: Faint Jerking and vibration on idle / FIAT Petra 1.6

View My Garage

Faint Jerking and vibration on idle / FIAT Petra 1.6

This is an old issue, I mean, It started about an year back after I changed the timing belt. Or rather, that was the time I noticed it first.

When stopped with the gear in neutral, I can feel a random, light variation in the RPM and the car jerks very very lightly. The driver feels it and the co passenger usually wont, as the driver is the one who is more connected to the car.

The RPM needle does not twitch, or jerk, it stays stable at the idle RPM.

This can be felt only in idle.

Since I thought this had cropped up after the timing belt change, I told my mechanic, he said he will adjust / tighten the belt after running for a few thousand kms, which he has done, but the issue is still there.

There are no other abnormalities on the running of the car. Unless of course, the mileage (8-10) km pl in city is a issue on a 1.6...
    Thanks and Regards,

Deepak K.V.

Maruti 800
    FIAT Palio Stile 1.1 SLE
    FIAT Petra 1.6 EL
    TATA Safari DiCOR 3.0 LX

View My Garage

Re: Faint Jerking and vibration on idle / FIAT Petra 1.6

Could be some sensor issues. Does it happen only during cold start?

Also did you got the car scanned?

Sent from my Mi 5 using Tapatalk
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

No, Its there always, when stopped in neutral and idling.
    Thanks and Regards,

Deepak K.V.

Maruti 800
    FIAT Palio Stile 1.1 SLE
    FIAT Petra 1.6 EL
    TATA Safari DiCOR 3.0 LX

View My Garage

Okay check spark plugs and injectors. Remove, clean and reinsert and then check.

Sent from my Mi 5 using Tapatalk
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

My car also does that..the slight vibrations at idle, started after I changed the timing belt a few years back. Open your bonnet and check if the engine slightly rocks at idling as this is what causes the body to vibrate. I feel this is connected to the engine timing somehow but not sure. This slight rocking motion at idle was also prevalent on my S10. Alternatively, it could also be the weak engine mounts causing this. So maybe you could get that checked as well. I will take this up with my mechanic during the next service. Basically, its never affected the engine performance on my S10 or Palio 1.6, so have never bothered dwelving deeper (or maybe got used to the deteriorated performance, if at all). In fact, I remember a service advisor telling me long back that this rocking motion is there on all Palio 1.6 cars.

My Rapid's 1.6 motor had very heavy vibration at idle due to bad engine mounts, so much so that the doors used to vibrate when open. Got new ones and now you can't tell if the engine is switched on.

So I think its the timing adjustment or the engine mounts on the Palio causing this. Please update if you get a resolution.
    Last edited by roms; 09-04-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kvdeep View Post
    This is an old issue, I mean, It started about an year back after I changed the timing belt. Or rather, that was the time I noticed it first.

When stopped with the gear in neutral, I can feel a random, light variation in the RPM and the car jerks very very lightly. The driver feels it and the co passenger usually wont, as the driver is the one who is more connected to the car.

The RPM needle does not twitch, or jerk, it stays stable at the idle RPM.

This can be felt only in idle.

Since I thought this had cropped up after the timing belt change, I told my mechanic, he said he will adjust / tighten the belt after running for a few thousand kms, which he has done, but the issue is still there.

There are no other abnormalities on the running of the car. Unless of course, the mileage (8-10) km pl in city is a issue on a 1.6...
    Could it be an ECU issue?
    May be some detailed troubleshooting is needed..

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    DKM
    ---------------
    2010 - Fiat Palio 1.3 MJD Bossa Nova White
    1994 - Royal Enfield STD 350 Army Green

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roms View Post
    My car also does that..the slight vibrations at idle, started after I changed the timing belt a few years back. Open your bonnet and check if the engine slightly rocks at idling as this is what causes the body to vibrate. I feel this is connected to the engine timing somehow but not sure. This slight rocking motion at idle was also prevalent on my S10. Alternatively, it could also be the weak engine mounts causing this. So maybe you could get that checked as well. I will take this up with my mechanic during the next service. Basically, its never affected the engine performance on my S10 or Palio 1.6, so have never bothered dwelving deeper (or maybe got used to the deteriorated performance, if at all). In fact, I remember a service advisor telling me long back that this rocking motion is there on all Palio 1.6 cars.

My Rapid's 1.6 motor had very heavy vibration at idle due to bad engine mounts, so much so that the doors used to vibrate when open. Got new ones and now you can't tell if the engine is switched on.

So I think its the timing adjustment or the engine mounts on the Palio causing this. Please update if you get a resolution.
    Exactly my experience,and thoughts, Romil,

1. It started after timing belt replacement.
    2. No effect on performance.

Since there are no other ill effects and the mechanic was not able to diagnose, I am ignoring it, for the time being. But service is due anyway and will keep you guys posted.
    Thanks and Regards,

Deepak K.V.

Maruti 800
    FIAT Palio Stile 1.1 SLE
    FIAT Petra 1.6 EL
    TATA Safari DiCOR 3.0 LX

D.L.
    View My Garage

This is most likely due to the Injectors being clogged/not firing properly. Im guessing that this happens to most of us as we tend to rarely use our 1.6 engine cars frequently, and due to this fuel accumulated in the injectors dries up. Any Injector cleaning liquid should be able to resolve this.

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by micki9559 View Post
    This is most likely due to the Injectors being clogged/not firing properly. Im guessing that this happens to most of us as we tend to rarely use our 1.6 engine cars frequently, and due to this fuel accumulated in the injectors dries up. Any Injector cleaning liquid should be able to resolve this.
    Thanks Micki, Injector cleaning liquid - As in something that can be added to fuel?
    Thanks and Regards,

Deepak K.V.

Maruti 800
    FIAT Palio Stile 1.1 SLE
    FIAT Petra 1.6 EL
    TATA Safari DiCOR 3.0 LX