Thread: Fiat Linea - Car pulling to the left

D.L.
    View My Garage

Fiat Linea - Car pulling to the left

My Linea is pulling to the left while driving. Got the alignment checked multiple times at MRF T&S but to no avail. I heard they adjust only the toe in and toe out. So, i went to Saifee Tyres, Santa Cruz who are pretty renowned for WB, WA. Their master alignment person Mr Alfred confirmed camber was out and he adjusted it doing some jugaad.. He placed a small piece of metal in the gap after removing the strut and then put another bolt of shorter size in it's place. I knew it was a temporary solution.

Earlier the vehicle was pulling to the left. To counter that he made the above jugaad on the front RHS tyre. Now the vehicle pulls to the right. Ideally, i had to diagnose why the vehicle was pulling to the left and get it fixed.

Long story short, the issue is not yet resolved. The vehicle still doesn't go in a straight line. The body wobbles, the steering wobbles, ride is very uncomposed. Even the minutest of undulations on the road are clearly felt inside the cabin. The cabin began to squeak and i hear sounds that i haven't heard before. Extremely frustrated with this experience. The car is now at 21000 kms on the odo. Until 19000 kms of ownership it was a pleasure to drive the car. It just glides over potholes and uneven surfaces.

Driving the Linea has become such a harrowing experience that i don't even feel like taking the car out. Went to Vroom Pointe and Landmark Fiat both ASC of Fiat in Mumbai and were not helpful.

I have been able to pinpoint the issue which is here attached.

Appreciate any help in this regard.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Competition Licence
    View My Garage

Re: Fiat Linea. Car pulling to the left.

I think you should revert the temporary Jugaad ASAP, it is very risky to drive like that I believe

D.L.
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bharatchowdary View Post
    My Linea is pulling to the left while driving. Got the alignment checked multiple times at MRF T&S but to no avail. I heard they adjust only the toe in and toe out. So, i went to Saifee Tyres, Santa Cruz who are pretty renowned for WB, WA. Their master alignment person Mr Alfred confirmed camber was out and he adjusted it doing some jugaad.. He placed a small piece of metal in the gap after removing the strut and then put another bolt of shorter size in it's place. I knew it was a temporary solution.

Earlier the vehicle was pulling to the left. To counter that he made the above jugaad on the front RHS tyre. Now the vehicle pulls to the right. Ideally, i had to diagnose why the vehicle was pulling to the left and get it fixed.

Long story short, the issue is not yet resolved. The vehicle still doesn't go in a straight line. The body wobbles, the steering wobbles, ride is very uncomposed. Even the minutest of undulations on the road are clearly felt inside the cabin. The cabin began to squeak and i hear sounds that i haven't heard before. Extremely frustrated with this experience. The car is now at 21000 kms on the odo. Until 19000 kms of ownership it was a pleasure to drive the car. It just glides over potholes and uneven surfaces.

Driving the Linea has become such a harrowing experience that i don't even feel like taking the car out. Went to Vroom Pointe and Landmark Fiat both ASC of Fiat in Mumbai and were not helpful.

I have been able to pinpoint the issue which is here attached.

Appreciate any help in this regard.
    Hello Bharat this is Pragalbha Bhandari from Pune my Linea and Punto Evo also Had Left Pulling SkyMoto Fiat Dealer in Pune Soled the issue of left pulling on my car. So I suggest u go to the Authorized dealer and tell them to resolve the Left pulling issue. U have to run behind them a bit or if u need contact Donald Pinto from the factory to solve your issue cause I also had told the dealer to contact Mr Pinto.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

D.L.
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pragalb_f1 View Post
    Hello Bharat this is Pragalbha Bhandari from Pune my Linea and Punto Evo also Had Left Pulling SkyMoto Fiat Dealer in Pune Soled the issue of left pulling on my car. So I suggest u go to the Authorized dealer and tell them to resolve the Left pulling issue. U have to run behind them a bit or if u need contact Donald Pinto from the factory to solve your issue cause I also had told the dealer to contact Mr Pinto.
    Thank you very much Pragalbha. Which year were your Linea and Punto manufactured? I was told by SA in Landmark that only a small batch of vehicles had that issue.

D.L.
    View My Garage

Thank you very much Pragalbha. Which year were your Linea and Punto manufactured? I was told by SA in Landmark that only a small batch of vehicles had that issue.
    Mine is a Punto Evo 90 hp Diesel and new look Linea T-jet both are 2014 manufactured

D.L.
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pragalb_f1 View Post
    Mine is a Punto Evo 90 hp Diesel and new look Linea T-jet both are 2014 manufactured

I have lost trust on FIAT ASS. Do you have a contact number or something of Donald Pinto so i can reach him?
    Thank you
    Bharat

View My Garage

I have lost trust on FIAT ASS. Do you have a contact number or something of Donald Pinto so i can reach him?
    Thank you
    Bharat
    It's true the FASS in Mumbai are useless. I experienced in Vroome Point. They're just doing the job coz they've to. No skilled force they've. I'm not sure about Landmark as never been there, quite far from my place.

Best is to consult as suggested by Pragal.

However just as a side note, can you tell us more about your Tyres - make and tyre profile, how kms run, how old?
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

D.L.
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rudrah View Post
    It's true the FASS in Mumbai are useless. I experienced in Vroome Point. They're just doing the job coz they've to. No skilled force they've. I'm not sure about Landmark as never been there, quite far from my place.

Best is to consult as suggested by Pragal.

However just as a side note, can you tell us more about your Tyres - make and tyre profile, how kms run, how old?
    From my experience i felt Landmark neither had the competency nor the will to help. Vroom Pointe guys were actually considerate, willing to listen, try things and assure you that it will be taken care of. Vroom Pointe is 27 kms from where i stay. I'll try doing what Pragal suggested.

My tyres are stock Apollo 175 70 R14 21000 kms. 2 years old since the car was manufactured in Feb 2016. Though i took delivery and started using only in Nov 2016.

View My Garage

My tyres are stock Apollo 175 70 R14 21000 kms. 2 years old since the car was manufactured in Feb 2016. Though i took delivery and started using only in Nov 2016.
    Okay, just curious to know as sometimes tyres too play a role in bad alignment/balance of the car. Hopefully they're in good condition.
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Re: Fiat Linea - Car pulling to the left

Hi Bharat

As Pragal has mentioned - go the the FASS - in this case possibly to Pune?

A few things to note (from my personal experience):

1. Always get the alignment done only at FASS - Fiats are very fussy about this part.

2. Is yours a classic version? 175/70 is not a standard tyre size for a Linea to the extent I recollect. These tyres are thinner than what the car requires (at-least 195 section tyres are warranted for this car). This means that your tyres could be wearing out faster. Do check for uneven tyre wear, and get them rotated (X type or circular). And when it is time to upgrade, go for 195 section tyres.

3. As mentioned in the document - sometimes camber of the road can give you a feel that the car is pulling to one side. Try to drive and test on an absolutely flat road. Also, check if you can feel the car move to one side under braking (try at about 60kmph to 0kmph when approaching a speed breaker) - if the steering wobbles and car pulls under braking, then you indeed have an issue.

At the cost of repeating myself - local alignment centres are useless, get the alignment done once every 5000 to 7000 kms (especially if you often ride over bumps) at an FASS. And yeah - do check the tyre pressures in all the tyres.

Hope this helps.
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)
    4) Punto 1.3 Active (54000 kms Sold)
    5) Renault Kwid 1.0 EASY-R (New Arrival)

D.L.
    View My Garage

Neither Vroom Pointe, nor Landmark nor MRF guys told me the tyres were bad. No uneven wear and tear at all.

Yes, mine is the Classic version. I felt 175 70 R14 is thinner. But, the fact that they came from FIAT made me believe that it might have come out after extensive road tests and confirming that 175 70 R14 is actually sufficient. Also, i loved to drive till almost 19000 kms which made me feel there must be no issue with the thinner tyres.

Step 2 in the document that i shared in the first post talks about adjusting the sub frame. Is that required? In case i get that done wouldn't that mean fiddling with the chassis?

Step 1 is fairly simple i think i can get it done. Step 3 is required only if there is any issue on the rear axle or uneven wear and tear on the rear tyres. I am in dilemma about Step 2 because it tells to push the subframe bar diagonally with pry bars to the left side. But, it doesn't tell by how much. I am worried if that would even worsen the problem or leave me with a misaligned chassis which will eventually affect the driving dynamics which FIAT cars are known for.

A non accident vehicle requiring a chassis alignment makes me wonder how serious FIAT is about QC before the car comes out of factory.
    Last edited by bharatchowdary; 24-03-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Well... I can say that I had a similar issue on my Punto and the FASS in Hyderabad were very competent and reasonable to acknowledge the issue and correct it. Though I do not exactly know the steps, I am sure it is the same as the one shared by you. The SA mentioned about an update received from FIAT over such complaints.

And regarding the testing and QC by FIAT... I can safely say it was / is non-existent :-). My car developed had at-least a couple of issues in the first 1000 kms - the first one was with the front right suspension mount coming loose, and the second one was to do with faulty struts in the boot which caused a knocking sound whenever the car went over a bump.

But don't loose heart, these FIATs will serve you well for a life-time with a bit of timely care. Happy Driving!
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)
    4) Punto 1.3 Active (54000 kms Sold)
    5) Renault Kwid 1.0 EASY-R (New Arrival)