Thread: GPS, Maps and Navigating the Indian maze called Roads

Marshal
    View My Garage

GPS, Maps and Navigating the Indian maze called Roads

Gone are the days when the cabbie had to solely depend on the passenger's directions and attempt reaching the destination...

In the USA, its considered below the dignity of a man to ask for directions.... its a lady thing, no matter how long you go in circles...

Technology has sprung up the Uber and Ola cabbies who always have an eye on their mobile screen while driving. They are assisted with the traffic conditions and keep changing routes based on the app and sometimes gut(less) intuitions...

How successful each one is in reaching the destination fast is anyone's guess!

Many a times, things end up in a mess and we need to recenter and start all over again or retrace the route or the friendly neighborhood chaiwala or autorickshaw driver comes to our rescue. Add to this, a network failure or error and you are stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Personally, I rarely use maps for navigation while driving as my destination is jungles most of the time and I'm blessed with no network...

Y'day saw a couple on a bullet, the lady animatedly showing something to her partner riding and heated exchanges happening... Caught up with them at the next signal, more exchanges and suddenly he veered off to a wrong turn and they continued on... Hope they got lucky both from traffic and the cops

The occasional times when I've used google uncle to guide me, have encountered almost no roads or pretty narrow and pothole filled stretches as google has this penchant to select the shortest possible route...

I'm sure all of us here have some funny incident or experience to narrate...

Lets share our spills and thrills of using navigation tools and perhaps some recommendations for duds like me on the subject...

Warmth,
    Murali

View My Garage

Re: GPS, Maps and Navigating the Indian maze called Roads.....

very interesting - i have had multiple instances where google misguided me..
    So i now make a point that for major travel distance i use google to reach the destination town/city entrance and then i just stop by at a tea shop and re-confirm the final destination route.

Once i was told by google that my destination is on the left "you have arrived" and i was beside a canal and the apartment i was searching for was on the other side..

Likewise many instances.. i am sure others would also have experienced such cases.. :-)
    Cheers,
    DKM
    ---------------
    2010 - Fiat Palio 1.3 MJD Bossa Nova White
    1994 - Royal Enfield STD 350 Army Green

View My Garage

Please excuse me for a slightly off topic post.

Quote Originally Posted by dkm View Post
    i have had multiple instances where google misguided me..
    Correcting the wrong info on Google Maps is easy.

POIs :

Open the listing on Maps -> Suggest Edit -> Update the details (move location marker to the right location, fix the typo in name, add working hours etc) -> DONE

Roads :

Select 'Send Feedback' option from the left menu -> Edit Map -> Tap and hold to select the road (you can select segments/entire road) - > Update the details (closed road, incorrect one way or two way etc) -> DONE

Let's make Google Maps better and save that friend from getting misguided.

(have my share of experience to pen down here. May be later, when I'm free)

Sent from my OP3 using Tapatalk

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
    Please excuse me for a slightly off topic post.

Correcting the wrong info on Google Maps is easy.

POIs :

Open the listing on Maps -> Suggest Edit -> Update the details (move location marker to the right location, fix the typo in name, add working hours etc) -> DONE

Roads :

Select 'Send Feedback' option from the left menu -> Edit Map -> Tap and hold to select the road (you can select segments/entire road) - > Update the details (closed road, incorrect one way or two way etc) -> DONE

Let's make Google Maps better and save that friend from getting misguided.

(have my share of experience to pen down here. May be later, when I'm free)

Sent from my OP3 using Tapatalk
    I tried many times - my house address especially from past one year. Just doesn't work.
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)
    4) Punto 1.3 Active (54000 kms Sold)
    5) Renault Kwid 1.0 EASY-R (New Arrival)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

I can vouch for similar instances. Once when I went to Vijayawada, there were some caves nearby which I had planned to visit. And I kept going here and there and every where only to find dead ends :-) and ending up possibly behind the cave than in the front! Then good old way of asking someone helped :-)
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)
    4) Punto 1.3 Active (54000 kms Sold)
    5) Renault Kwid 1.0 EASY-R (New Arrival)