Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Whitey arrives - the Kwid 1.0 AMT

First, the pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170812_112506396.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	12192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170812_112527038.jpg 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	12193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170812_112549245.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	12194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170812_112600734.jpg 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	12195

On 9th August 2017, the Kwid 1.0 AMT arrived into our family. It replaces the Punto 1.3 Active which I had to sell to overcome some of my health condition. After pondering between the Nano AMT and Alto K10 AMT, the Kwid it was finally. This is how the decision making went:

Nano AMT:
    My wife and I drove the Nano AMT about 2 months ago, when I had decided to sell the Punto. We both liked the car.

FOR:
    - We had a soft corner for the Nano since it was our first car as well.
    - The build quality in the GenX has improved from the first version which we had earlier.
    - It comes with all bare necessities (Infotainment with USB, AUX and Bluetooth streaming), Remote Lock, Central Locking, 2 Power Windows.
    - Easy to drive. The Sports Mode and Tiptronic gears made the car fun to drive. The gears hold up the revs in the Sports Mode for longer time. You can instruct the car to change gears by lifting off your foot when you want it to shift. And the shifting is not too jerky.

AGAINST:
    - Lack of Boot space.
    - Questions on longevity and a weak engine (purely my concerns)
    - Well. It is basically a city car.

Alto K10:

FOR:
    - Long term reliability. The car would survive years and fetch a resale value too.

AGAINST:
    - It's a Maruti! How can I buy one? It's Tinny! It's bouncy!
    - Honestly, I didn't even test drive one. Buying this car would be a mind over heart decision for both wife and me.
    - Thankfully, my wife's choice of color - Tango Orange, had a long waiting period and I walked out of the showroom to.....

KWID 1.0 AMT - The WildCard!
    This car was not even in the shortlist. Firstly, I didn't want to spend an additional sum of money on replacing a car and Kwid would run over and above 5 lacs OTR. Which would mean additional loan. And, I really didn't like one of it's negatives.... but as I walked into the Renault showroom from the Maruti, I saw this car on display. Checked it out and was impressed. A test drive sealed the deal.

FOR:

- The car was available in stock. All I had to do was book it and get the finance arranged.
    - Sales experience was better than with FIAT. Comparable to Tata. Not a penny discount offered, but with some efforts I got rubber mats instead of fabric ones. These mats look better and easier to maintain.
    - Overall qualitiy of the car is good. Cost cutting is not apparent to naked eye. Dashboard quality seems better than my Punto.
    - Space. Feels like a bigger car. A BIG boot. Comfortable seats. Ergonomic.
    - Light steering. Steering is not Hyundai Light. But you can turn it with one hand. And it becomes heavy at higher speeds. Not really accurate but it does its job. I felt comfortable during the first ride.
    - AC is good.
    - Infotainment. A touch screen! It is my son's point of attraction now (he calls it Road Message). I can play music via Bluetooth, USB, Aux, Radio, and make calls. What else I need? Screen is responsive.
    - Visibility from driver's seat. The bonnet is visible.
    - Overall features. MID, 2 front power windows, keyless entry and central locking.
    - The rotary knob for drive selector (This is a gimmick!)

Against:
    - ORVM's are not internally adjustable (this was the main reason why Kwid wasn't even in my shortlist initially).
    - The AMT gearing. More on that later.
    - No underbody cover (plan to get this in the first service)

Neutral:
    - Exposed bits of strut mounts, exposed wire in boot, a dangling wiper water pipe under the hood, a very light hatch,

The verdict was finally easy. I booked the car on 2nd August. The finance arrangement from the showroom did not click as they were charging unnecessary fees. I went for HDFC where I have a salary account. Got the finance at 8.5% with Rs.3500 as processing fee, and insurance from HDFC ERGO at 13000 (supposedly bumper to bumper). I saved about 10K by option out of Renault Insurance as well as arranging for finance on my own. Finance was approved on 5th August, 7th August I paid the final amount including Rs.2100 for side cladding. Was charged 3500 for accessories, got the rubber mats including boot mat and mud flaps. 9th August I had the car!

Initial impressions:

- Firstly, wife, son, and I, all are happy. Overall the car never makes you feel that you made a compromise by going one segment below (rather 1.5 - Punto is B2, Kwid is A segment).
    - The ride quality is very good. SOmetimes it feels better than the Punto 1.3 (I had a 2012 version which comes with higher GC and stiffer suspension), especially when going over bumps. No doubt the 155/80 tyres help. An upgrade to 165/80 or 175/80 can make it even better.
    - Handling. It is neutral. The car is quite chuckable, though not in the leagues of a Maruti 800 or Figo or Punto. Feels closer to a Tata Bolt overall I think per my experience.
    - Doorpads are thin, some visible screws if you go looking for it. But these are not dealbreakers.
    - Seats are comfortable with sufficient bolstering. I would have liked them a touch harder though. Yet they are ergonomic and provide sufficient lumbar support. Thigh support is par for the segment.
    - Engine Power is good. Car cruises easily on straight roads. I took it for a drive on Hosur Road (flyover) and it felt good.
    - Overall driving effort has reduced drastically for me. A real boon considering that in the past week, a 9 kilometer drive to my office is taking an hour especially post the August 14th rains.
    - Fuel Efficiency is acceptable. When I took delivery of the car, the avg. as per MID was about 3.x kilometer and it bumped up to 10.7 kms. The first tankful to tankful method yielded an average of 12.3 kmpl. Considering that I have been driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic with AC on all the times, and as already mentioned a 9 km drive is taking an hour, this is great fuel efficiency. It will surely get better over course of time.
    - AC is good. Noisy from level 2 onwards but air throw is sufficient. Haven't seen a drastic difference of the AC on the engine. Possibly need better driving conditions to judge the same.
    - My son likes the infotainment for the maps it offers. I am happy that I can play music through various sources.
    - Keyless entry. Another attraction for my 4 year old.

Dislikes
    - Thankful that ORVM design has changed from the first version. Yet really can't understand why internal adjustment is not offered!
    - The AMT calibration. The gear shifts are jerky. You can feel the head nod everytime the car shifts a gear. I am driving with a moderate to light foot. A heavier foot sometimes seems better but the shifts are too inconsistent at times. Yeah, I can live with this. I am sure some getting used to is required. The Nano was better though in terms of gear shifts.
    - Lack of creep mode / tiptronic. The Kwid can be tricky to handle over inclines as the gears shift through inconsistently. If you do not use a handbrake the car will roll back / front on inclines. A creep mode and a manual mode would have helped. Again, I can live with this in daily use. Will have to see how the car behaves on hilly roads.

Neutral
    - No auto lock.
    - Sound quality is strictly average. I don't want to upgrade either as I don't like a single screw or panel being opened.
    - Other factors mentioned above like exposed struts, etc.

To sum it up, if there is really a deal breaker to choose in this car, it would be the jerky gear-shift. But the moment you feel that you can work around with the gear shifts, there are many more positives in this car which makes it a very good buy.

Alternatives

Tiago AMT. The XTA was only recently launched. Yet at 4.79 lacs ex showroom, it will be easily about 60k to 70k costlier on road. I don't know what features it skimps on the XZA which will be close to 6.5 lacs OTR in Bengaluru. But if budget is not a constraint, Tiago XZA is the car to go for when it comes to affordable automatics. The Tiago is a good buy in its manual version as well but it's a different story altogether.

I will attach some more pics of the interiors and the boot on a later date.

Thanks for reading and if at all anyone of you is considering a second car or an automatic, do give the Kwid a test drive.

And thank you for all the well wishers!

Vijeth
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)
    4) Punto 1.3 Active (54000 kms Sold)
    5) Renault Kwid 1.0 EASY-R (New Arrival)

View My Garage

Re: Whitey arrives - the Kwid 1.0 AMT

Awesome thread, Vijeth. Penned every side of the car based on your buying experience. What was the final OTR for you?

I've not yet seen the interiors of kwid but from outside i was not able to judge the interior space between front and rear. It looked cramped to me. Mostly if front passengers are tall and slide the seats back, the rear leg room might be bad (my guess).

The kwid must be running on soft suspension that helps in City mode a lot compared to Fiat's stiffer suspensions but on highways the stiffer suspensions work in charm. How's the high speed feel in highways? How does it behave when you need to crawl from underground parking spot or to overtake on the highway?

On the AMT gearing, the Autocar india was at its praise when it tested on a steep road. Check this out at 3.15m :

For the audio fitment, you should take it to a audiophile who just deals into car audio systems and he will take care of the installation without damaging the car interiors.

The car looks very nice and sturdy. Good choice in the end compared to its competitors.

Happy miles on your Kwid. Looking forward for more updates. This community is not just tagged for Fiats, we're thankfully open to all branded cars (ignore the web name for now )

Cheers~
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

BTW please post some interior pics as well
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!

View My Garage

Heartiest Congratulations Vijeth For me, its this one line which says its all with regards to this big change -

Firstly, wife, son, and I, all are happy. Overall the car never makes you feel that you made a compromise by going one segment below
    I love the derriere of the Kwid, it somehow reminds me of a Mercedes GLA. Never driven one though, so can't comment on that. One of our members recently sold his Punto EVO and bought a Skoda Rapid TDi AT and on the Whatsapp group, he asked questions with regards to the behavior of ATs in various driving scenarios. I posted my views and experiences on how I've lived with an AT over the past year and a half. I think this is the thread to document those experiences as well.

The importance of tip tronic mode - What's surprsing is that Renault has not provided a tip tronic function to provide manual overide for Kwid. Given the fact that an AMT is actually a manual box which is automated and doesn't differ too much from a regular manual gearbox, they should've provided tip tronic facility to shift between cogs. In regular usage, I hardly ever use the tip tronic as the torque converter autobox on my Rapid does that work efficiently (at most times). When I need more power, there is the Sport (S) mode that keeps the transmission in a lower cog for longer. But where you really need a tip tronic / manual mode is while tackling downhill slopes where engine braking is required.

'D' mode is tuned for fuel efficiency in most AT cars and keeps the transmission in the highest gear possible. Thus, while going downhill (say at 30 km/h), the transmission would be in 3rd or even 4th (just the way it is while driving on a regular flat road /plains), whereas if you had a manual box, you would shift to 2nd so that you use the engine braking and not the actual brakes to come down. In D mode, it may actually upshift if the speed increases while going downhill as it cannot differentiate between the road elevation. That's why manual intervention is required and we need to keep it in a lower gear by shifting to tip tronic and selecting a lower gear. In S mode it will remain in a lower gear for longer so we can use that as well but proper manual override will provide us with the engine braking we need. In any case, the brake pads wear out faster because we use them more in an automatic due to lack of sufficient engine braking even on plains, going downhill in D only aggregates the wear.

Here is what the manual says with regards to going downhill -

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-08-17 at 18.42.02.jpg 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	12196

But what about inclines? Does the transmission understand when the car is going uphill? No, It doesn't understand inclines. But the transmission keeps it in a lower gear for more power because it shifts according to the load on the engine and that's what determines the gear selection. So on inclines we are likely to give more throttle inputs. The transmission senses that load on the engine and doesn't upshift quickly.

What about traffic signals? Should we shift to Neutral 'N' or keep the car in 'D' with the brakes depressed? Since the AMT and VW DSG boxes are essentially relying on the clutch for the drive to be engaged, it is advisable to shift to N, atleast at longer stops, else it could lead to increased clutch wear. This is not much of an issue with traditional torque converter AT boxes as they don't rely on a clutch. But I still prefer to shift in N while at longer stops and press the brakes / pull the hand brake.

What's kickdown? If you need sudden acceleration, you will need the transmission to shift to a lower gear. The accelerator inputs determine the load on the engine and send a signal to transmission to shift down a gear (or two if required). When I didn't know this, I used to either shift to manual mode and control the gears or used the S mode for overtaking. But now, all I do is bury my right foot onto the throttle pedal and the transmission 'kicks down' to the gear corressponding to my throttle input. Of course, its not a manual gear box so it will take time to understand what you need, so overtakings will require planning.

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-08-17 at 18.42.23.jpg 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	12197

Do let us know as to how you're coping with your AT box. Your brake pads will wear faster (relatively speaking) as I mentioned before, ATs don't provide enough engine braking as they shift to the highest possible gear and as a result, we rely on the brakes that much more. But that's the compromise we make for convenience.

Good luck on the new journey!
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roms View Post
    Heartiest Congratulations Vijeth For me, its this one line which says its all with regards to this big change -

I love the derriere of the Kwid, it somehow reminds me of a Mercedes GLA. Never driven one though, so can't comment on that. One of our members recently sold his Punto EVO and bought a Skoda Rapid TDi AT and on the Whatsapp group, he asked questions with regards to the behavior of ATs in various driving scenarios. I posted my views and experiences on how I've lived with an AT over the past year and a half. I think this is the thread to document those experiences as well.

The importance of tip tronic mode - What's surprsing is that Renault has not provided a tip tronic function to provide manual overide for Kwid. Given the fact that an AMT is actually a manual box which is automated and doesn't differ too much from a regular manual gearbox, they should've provided tip tronic facility to shift between cogs. In regular usage, I hardly ever use the tip tronic as the torque converter autobox on my Rapid does that work efficiently (at most times). When I need more power, there is the Sport (S) mode that keeps the transmission in a lower cog for longer. But where you really need a tip tronic / manual mode is while tackling downhill slopes where engine braking is required.

'D' mode is tuned for fuel efficiency in most AT cars and keeps the transmission in the highest gear possible. Thus, while going downhill (say at 30 km/h), the transmission would be in 3rd or even 4th (just the way it is while driving on a regular flat road /plains), whereas if you had a manual box, you would shift to 2nd so that you use the engine braking and not the actual brakes to come down. In D mode, it may actually upshift if the speed increases while going downhill as it cannot differentiate between the road elevation. That's why manual intervention is required and we need to keep it in a lower gear by shifting to tip tronic and selecting a lower gear. In S mode it will remain in a lower gear for longer so we can use that as well but proper manual override will provide us with the engine braking we need. In any case, the brake pads wear out faster because we use them more in an automatic due to lack of sufficient engine braking even on plains, going downhill in D only aggregates the wear.

Here is what the manual says with regards to going downhill -

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-08-17 at 18.42.02.jpg 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	12196

But what about inclines? Does the transmission understand when the car is going uphill? No, It doesn't understand inclines. But the transmission keeps it in a lower gear for more power because it shifts according to the load on the engine and that's what determines the gear selection. So on inclines we are likely to give more throttle inputs. The transmission senses that load on the engine and doesn't upshift quickly.

What about traffic signals? Should we shift to Neutral 'N' or keep the car in 'D' with the brakes depressed? Since the AMT and VW DSG boxes are essentially relying on the clutch for the drive to be engaged, it is advisable to shift to N, atleast at longer stops, else it could lead to increased clutch wear. This is not much of an issue with traditional torque converter AT boxes as they don't rely on a clutch. But I still prefer to shift in N while at longer stops and press the brakes / pull the hand brake.

What's kickdown? If you need sudden acceleration, you will need the transmission to shift to a lower gear. The accelerator inputs determine the load on the engine and send a signal to transmission to shift down a gear (or two if required). When I didn't know this, I used to either shift to manual mode and control the gears or used the S mode for overtaking. But now, all I do is bury my right foot onto the throttle pedal and the transmission 'kicks down' to the gear corressponding to my throttle input. Of course, its not a manual gear box so it will take time to understand what you need, so overtakings will require planning.

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-08-17 at 18.42.23.jpg 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	12197

Do let us know as to how you're coping with your AT box. Your brake pads will wear faster (relatively speaking) as I mentioned before, ATs don't provide enough engine braking as they shift to the highest possible gear and as a result, we rely on the brakes that much more. But that's the compromise we make for convenience.

Good luck on the new journey!
    Oye AT Guru

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Whoops! Rome and Rudrah. Thanks for the notes and wishes. And yeah, more interior pics are on the way. Now answering some questions one by one.

Highway Manners: Yet to be tested really. I am yet to touch 80 kmph... Well reached 79kmph you see ;-). Because the engine is still in run in. Renault recommends a max speed of 80kmph during run in.. I think it is 1000 KMS.

Space: Believe me. It is not cramped at all for average indian Adult. I am 5 ft 6 in. I can sit comfortably with adequate head and legroom. It beats Alto hands down especially on comfort, and betters Nano or I guess equals on legroom. Will take pics and attach over this weekend.

AMT - 1: as Roms has mentioned and something I wanted to add earlier, engine braking is next to nil. Brake pads will wear out sooner, but everything comes at a price. Yeah? Renault could have added better brakes.

AMT - 2: Absence of tiptronic is seriously felt. Nano AMT changes to a higher gear when you lift off your foot after achieving suitable speeds. Kwid simply changes at its own predetermined speeds. A slightly heavier foot actually seems to make things easier; I have driven about 400 KMS so far.

Behaviour on Inclines: yet to be really tested. My parking space at apartment is quite high above the ground. Initially I was finding it very difficult to climb up possibly due to a very light foot. Slowly I am learning to overcome this. Also using a handbrake helps.

In the current driving cycle the FE is improving. Yesterday had tough time due to heavy rains and had to wade through water of about half a foot or a bit higher and some deep potholes. The car did quite well. No scraping with two people onboard. Needless to say there was quite a bit of idling. The FE as per MID dropped from 13.6 to 12.8... nothing really to make sense. Today with better flowing traffic the car consumed about 1.3 literature for 20 km. Pretty good eh?

More to follow...

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

And honestly... Autocar reviews are almost always contradictory and biased. The incline where she tests is not at all steep. My parking lot is comparable to an office parking lot exit from basement. If you maintain momentum it's easy. Well as I said I still need to get used to it.

And regarding the audio upgrade... I really don't want even a single screw to be opened unless really necessary. So possibly it will never be done.

Finally the OTR - it came to 529548.
    13k insurance, 5650 approx for accessories (mud flaps, rubber floor and boot mat, side cladding), rest towards road tax (approx 62900) , Rto charges (7700 approx), and showroom price.

Competition Licence
    View My Garage

congratulations Vijethcm and happy miles.

View My Garage

Congrats Vijethcm.

Every car has its pros and cons. Once you have an understanding of it you will drive it accordingly.
    Hope the Auto box has helped you and meets the reason for the purchase.

Enjoy the drive.
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Thank you!
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by neelay2709 View Post
    Congrats Vijethcm.

Every car has its pros and cons. Once you have an understanding of it you will drive it accordingly.
    Hope the Auto box has helped you and meets the reason for the purchase.

Enjoy the drive.
    Indeed neelay. We need to get used to every car 😂. This is my fourth ownership and overall eighth car which I have driven at least for a few hundred kilometres. I can vouch for your statement that every car has its pros and cons. But, I can tell you that the Kwid has more than met it's purpose! My son is very keen to go for a drive as am I all the more. It's a breeze to drive on the crowded roads of Bengaluru. And the icing on the cake is the ICE as it is easy to use!

Thank you for the wishes one and all!
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rudrah View Post
    BTW please post some interior pics as well

First of the lot. The rear seat with the driver seat adjusted for myself (at 5' 6" and slightly long legs and arms) leaves me with a knee room of about six inches. I get about 9 inches of leg room with seats drawn further ahead. Seating 3 at rear will be difficult unless all are medium built like me.

Name:	IMG_20170828_165801896.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	12198

Name:	IMG_20170828_165857647.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	12200

Name:	IMG_20170828_165735749.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	12201

Boot is very spacious. In a few days will post pics with luggage. Apologies for the slippers.

Name:	IMG_20170828_165934370.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	12199
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

A minor update. The car has run about 850 kms in just more than a month. The engine seems to be getting better. I haven't exceeded 80kmph as yet as per the "Running In" instructions.

The FE seems to be getting better too. In worst conditions it has returned about 9 / 10 kmpl (calculated based on MID), when traffic at ORR bottles up and it takes about half an hour to cover a distance of 3 kilometers. Tankful to Tankful during last refill returned about 14 kmpl with a mix of driving conditions like the one stated before, driving through rains on water logged roads. If people have driven on the Marathalli to Silk Board ORR and in the surrounding areas of Bellandur interior roads, they will know the conditions I am talking about. And for these conditions I guess the FE returned is great. The MID showed up a return of almost 19 kmpl during my last trip from HSR Layout to Hesaraghatta Road via the ORR [A total of 43 kilometers taking about 1.5 hour drive]. Not bad in my opinion. Under better conditions my Punto used to return about 15 kmpl overall.

With every passing day, my driving is also becoming more sedate. On some easy stretches of ORR I can maintain speeds of 50 to 60 kmph easily; on the Punto it was a pain as anything below 60kmph needed me to be in 4th gear to maintain a steady momentum. Without doubt, driving a Petrol (as I have always felt) and an Automatic is a breeze.

The Kwid's steering as I mentioned is also reasonably good. Better than the Maruti's and Hyundai's I have driven. It has a big turning radius but it is easy to drive with one hand and still feel the road on your hands (albeit only better than the cars I mentioned; certainly not in the league of Fiat / FORD).

Handling is Neutral. Suspension is on the softer side but easy on the spine; doesn't really pass too many vibrations up the spine.

The MediaNav [ICE] is quite good - this is my first experience with a touchscreen / navigation ICE.
    - I can play songs via Bluetooth and change the songs but can't see a list.
    - USB Folder accepts 32 GB Drive. You can browse the list and select the song you want to play.
    - Navigation requires you to know the address to a reasonable accuracy; you have to select the PINCode, Area, and Street Name at-least. The best part is there is no "GPS Signal Lost" message encountered within the city unlike with the Smartphone navigation. Having said that, the map is not as updated as Google Maps, and while the system makes you believe otherwise through its settings and display, it doesn't really seem to take into account the current traffic conditions unlike Google Maps.
    - Speakers are of average quality; but the ICE has a better capability. I can hear instrumentation in a song which I can normally hear on very good quality earphones.

Seats are comfortable and provides just the right support for my back. But there is a slight flaw either in the ergonomics, OR, my legs. The height of the pedals are a bit uneven. This is a problem I have felt in most cars (Nano, Wagon R, Figo, etc.). In Wagon R, I used to feel that the designer had a shorter right leg, in the Nano it was comparatively better. Palio for me, was the perfect one with its positioning of the pedals, Punto and Linea being the next; that tiny bit of extra travel of the clutch spoiling the comfort, yet better than most other cars I have driven.

And finally, some interior pics:

KWID Branded Rubber Mats; I opted for these instead of the Kwid Branded Carpet Mats (i.e. Fabric ones). By default the fabric mats are provided and rubber mats are charged extra; this was the only item I managed to negotiate in the pricing.

Name:	IMG_20170916_111407329.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	12292

A view of the interiors. Not really claustrophobic.

Name:	IMG_20170916_111511494.jpg 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	12293

Another view of the mats.

Name:	IMG_20170916_111536218.jpg 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	12294

Interior view from rear seats. You feel comfortably spacious. The mix of grey with black does the job. The dashboard feels sturdy. Even better than the Punto. But I am sure at some point rattles will arise.

Name:	IMG_20170916_111600024.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	12295

View of the ICE

Name:	IMG_20170916_111812841.jpg 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	12296

View of the ICE - You can select the source from the dropdown list. Haven't tried the AUX IN as yet.

Name:	IMG_20170916_111817533.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	12297

Another view of the ICE - currently playing song with media background. The ICE can be hacked to play videos.

Name:	IMG_20170916_111834132.jpg 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	12298
    Last edited by Vijethcm; 16-09-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Here is the First Service Report

The first service was due on 9th October (2 months from date of purchase). The car had run 1670 kilometers as on the date of service - October 7th.

Booking of service was via phone as the MyRenault App on the phone was useless. The APP promised a couple of freebies (paint protection and wash); when I mentioned it to the Service Advisor, there was no clear response.

Dropped the car at Silkboard Renault. Requested Engine Oil to be replaced, was given a quote of about 1200 rupees.

Checked out on adding official accessories (Speakers), the only speakers available were Sony XS-XB6941. I am told that SONY is the only approved Renault Vendor, and provides wiring, therefore no wires are cut for installation. However on listening to the demo, I wasn't too convinced with the quality of output (i'm a JBL fan). I was quoted a price of Rs.5,990 (same as per SONY website) and an additional 1,200 for a wooden plank. I wasn't too convinced and dropped the idea at-least for the time being.

DUring the afternoon I called up to inquire for an Engine / Underbody plate. Was quoted 1800 and it was available in stock, gave the go-ahead.

The car was promised around 6:00 PM. By the time the car was delivered it was about 6:45 PM and was dark. I noticed a couple of stains here and there and I was told that there is a restriction on Water Wash so the car was delivered by a simple wipe. No test drives were offered but all documents were presented for signing. Since it was a first service I didn't ask much.

Verified that the engine guard was fixed. Upon starting the car, I did notice that the engine note has become smoother, therefore likely that they indeed changed the oil. [On a side note I read on TBHP of a Baleno user being cheated].

What I wasn't ready for - was revealed in the morning. I was disheartened to see too many stains and tiny scratches on the bonnet, door sills, etc. I really wanted to catch hold of the SA and give him a show-down. But it was my fault to not have observed anything before taking the delivery. Went to a nearby Car Care [Car Laundry] and got a protection was coating done; not that it really shields the car too much but it at-least conceals the existing scratches.

There was no feedback call for a few days and when they did call, I rated them 8 [i.e. Poor]. The caller said that she will arrange for a callback but I'm yet to hear any.

The service center and dealership is under Trident - also a Hyundai dealer. Wonder if the service levels are equally bad for Hyundai centers as well. Honestly, during my visits to the FIAT ASS, I haven't seen the car delivered in such a bad shape, anytime. No doubt the Punto's paint quality was very high (possibly outdone only by VW in its class), and I used to get the Teflon (?) coating done once a year to retain the gloss and also to conceal minor scratches, yet I never saw the car delivered in as bad shape.

Now to some other observations (or discoveries):

1. The car does scrape the mountains on the Bengaluru roads (which they accidentally identify as speed breakers) when the car is fully loaded.

2. My commute has now reversed its direction from HSR Layout to Jayanagar / Banashankari. I need to cross the notorious Silk Board and Udupi Garden junctions everyday. This section of about 3.5 kilometers from Home to the Udupi Garden Junction, takes about 45 minutes on an average. With this, the FE has dropped to single digits as it is largely 1st and 2nd gear driving. Not to mention the craters which have formed on this stretch, once the car did scrape while going in this stretch.

3. One feature I am absolutely liking - when the ICE is playing a song if I want to stop the engine, I can do so without disrupting the song being played. All I have to do is to turn off the key with a quick but light twist. If the twist is heavy or slow, then the ICE stops playing the song.

4. I manage to hear many instruments being played in a song which I normally can hear on very good quality earphones / speakers. I only need to wait for the right person to upgrade the speakers.

Oh! The cost of service came to about Rs.3,200.

Happy Deepavali!
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Ok.. last week saw two firsts:
    1. A highway drive for my Kwid
    2. The first niggle.

Now the story, first the highway drive.

Destination: Madikeri

Journey: HSR Layout > Srirangapatna Bypass > Bylakuppe > Madikeri > Mysore > HSR Layout > Sidedahalli (Hesaraghatta Road) > HSR Layout

Distance Covered: 700 kms in total (tankfull-to-tankfull);

Fuel Used: 39.5 liters

Conditions: About 550 kms of highway, About 30 to 40 kilometers in and around Madikeri (visiting Abbi Falls, town center, etc.) and 86 kms on ORR. Highway stretches included return journey from Mysore in peak traffic with a journey of about 150 kms taking a little more than 4 hours, with some stretches of 2 to 3 kilometers taking half an hour (didn't miss Silk Board Junction!).

My Punto gave me a parting gift by way of a 2 day 2 night Club Mahindra voucher. I opted for the Madikeri stay considering availability and distance.

Started about 7:30 on Nov 24 from HSR Layout and made a stopover at Mandya about 10:00 AM. The morning traffic and a broken down truck on Mysore Road adding about half an hour to the journey. After about 45 minutes stopover at Mandya for breakfast, took the bypass road at Srirangapatna to reach Bylakuppe Namdroling Monastery. We were disappointed as the monastery was closed for renovation. Spent about 45 minutes here exploring whatever was open and pit stop for self and family ;-). Reached Madikeri roughly about 2:15 I guess.. it could be later too but can't remember.

As we started approaching Madikeri the air inside the car also started becoming pure. Possibly no matter whether the car is kept on "Internal Air Circulation" mode or "External", the quality of outside air does matter. Though I suspect that in my Kwid the amount of external air which enters the cabin is on the higher side.

The car through its journey behaved well. A speed of 100 to 110 is maintainable, but Renault does need to upgrade the brake pads. With just about 3400 kms on the speedo, the brakes are already noisy and squeaky (started in Madikeri). The brakes are adequate to stop the car if you are at reasonable speeds, though.

The car took the climb up and down the hills also pretty well. The gears were quite sorted to my utter surprise. The journey to Abbi falls has quite steep inclines and with 2 + 1 onboard, the car redeemed itself without any drama. The car does roll a bit and you need to keep the car at decent speeds (about 35 to 40kmph) on the curves of the hills if you don't want to run into the opposite lane. I call that safe driving... more on this later. But... a big one at that... overtaking is next to impossible. You really need a kilometer long stretch to be empty for a safe overtaking. Well I may be exaggerating a bit but that's the thing. This car is not the one for overtaking. The gearbox simply doesn't understand what it has to do in a overtaking situation. So does the engine tuning I guess. You better stick to your lane until it is really really safe for overtaking

The stay at the Club Mahindra was great, except for the noise of diesel / petrol luggage vans going around the cottages, and the loudspeakers used in the premises for events. They absolutely spoil the tranquility of an otherwise beautiful property.

The roads to Madikeri has its good share of curves, climb ups & down-hill. Maintaining manageable speeds is of utmost importance if you don't want to risk yourselves or other's lives. No matter which vehicle, these roads considering their curves & width dictate speeds to be kept under 45 kmph (I have driven a Nano, Punto, M800 and Kwid over such terrains / roads so I do have decent experience when I say this) to maintain safe driving conditions and keep the occupants of the car comfortable. Overtaking if done on these roads should be only done on straight stretches after giving the drivers ahead a sufficient room for emergencies. During the course of my journey I came across many idiotic drivers who are predominantly non-locals of Madikeri (from other states or cities including our own Bengaluru), or some really college / out-of-college drivers who were too impatient and overtaking in curves, or making attempts to overtake without giving sufficient space to the vehicles ahead. What happens in these situations is that a failed overtaking requires the driver to move to the left lane at short notice forcing the other vehicles also to brake suddenly. I am largely defensive in driving, despite my style of driving there were drivers who created certain close call situations.

To all those reading this post, I urge to show patience on the roads and respect for others (not that you don't do, but similar to Rom's post on child seats for children, this is an aspect which requires re-iteration). You may at the most need an additional 1/2 hour over the entire journey if you show patience, but you will create far lesser degree of risk to yourselves, the occupants of your car, and others on the road including pedestrians.

We surely missed the Punto and its rock solid stability, but the Kwid was good. Lighter steering made it easier for me to drive. Further, the car did scrape its underbody a couple of times despite my best efforts, the softer suspension set-up being the culprit despite the 180mm clearance advertised by Kwid (unladen).

Traffic conditions were largely good allowing me to drive at about 85 to 90 kmph and occassionally exceed 100 kmph (believe me, Mysore Road is that fast or slow). Since I started late in the morning, did have share of traffic signals, slow-moving traffic, and a couple of jams on the way up to Madikeri. The return journey saw me getting stuck at a Flyover construction site near Mysore, and innumerable junctions on Mysore Road. The last leg of the journey (well after return to Bangalore before a refuel) included a trip from HSR layout to Hesaraghatta Road where my parents stay, and back. The way back had a few kilometer long traffic hold-ups due to flyovers on the Hebbal to KR Puram stretch being closed. Despite all this, an overall FE of 17.78 kmpl is respectable.

Now, the second story - The First Niggle:

We returned on the night of 26th November. On the morning of 27th November when I tried to start the car, the car did not crank. It showed up a Red Signal relating to Electrical / Electronic components. I called up the RSA and a flatbed arrived promptly. The car did crank once and they towed away the car to the Renault Silkboard RASC (Renault Authorized Service Center) which is about 1.5 kms away. I got an SMS that the car has been received at the RASC but no calls until evening. When I called up, the Service Advisor mentioned that they could not recreate the problem and therefore I could possibly pick up the car. I asked them to run the diagnostics and find the error as it was a clear error which was seen even by the towing service personnel. I also mentioned about the odour in the cabin and the requested a checkup of AC Filters and the brakepads......

Next day, I received a call saying that they ran the diagnostics and a fault with the Clutch Motor Sensor was found, and they have asked approval from Renault for a replacement. I was told that I have the option of taking the vehicle in the meanwhile, but I refused as I did not want to get stranded again. I re-iterated the need to check the AC Filters and Brake pads. Finally on Friday I got a call that the car was ready and I visited the RASC in the evening.

After a wait of about 20 to 25 minutes the SA arrived and explained that the Clutch Motor had sensor issues and they replaced it under warranty. Also, there was a replacement of Glovebox and Horn Pad based on a company notification based on customer complaints about the Glovebox not closing properly and the hornpad being faulty. I was asked for signatures on the papers which I promptly signed but gave the SA a piece of my mind saying that he is more interested in getting the signatures than as much as offering me a test drive and showing me the car. I also expressed my dissatisfaction over how the ASC had left scratches on my new car the previous time. All the while, I kept asking him only in my mind, "Dude! what about the AC and Brake Pads?". And then, I reached the car.

A routine inspection of exteriors and interiors did not reveal any new scratches. I turned the ignition key on a couple of times and there was no more a warning signal. The SA headed to get a gate pass and I thought I will check the contents of the glovebox. Voila! The box wouldn't open unless pressed a few times. I was about to explode!!! Then called back the SA and the mechanic and got the old glovebox refitted. And drove out.

The Clutch Motor Assembly apparently costs about 15300 rupees. All replacements and fitting were done free of charge.

My trip from HSR to my parent's place and back occurred after the car was fixed. No tantrums thrown by the car. The gear shifts have seemingly become quicker - for those who have driven the AMTs - the nod is less pronounced. The engine seems to have a little more power on hand. But you know!!! The brakes still squeaks because the RASC did not even check it, yet to experience the AC odour though.

Well, to sum the experience, a great trip, a very good car with certain limitations, a pathetic ASC (ala erstwhile Tata ASC - and I told this to the SA).

More to come in the next episode. Happy Driving! Safe Driving!
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)