Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: Whitey arrives - the Kwid 1.0 AMT

  1. #16
    Seeded Driver
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    242
    View My Garage
    Rep Power
    158

    Re: Whitey arrives - the Kwid 1.0 AMT

    It's been long since I found enough time to login to this forum... and I do have an update.

    After the service incident mentioned in the previous post wherein the SA had not checked for the brake noise, I got a call from the dealer asking for feedback. I explained that the experience was less than satisfactory along with reasons. I was then asked to take the car to the RASS on a day of my choice and that they will attend to the complaint. I drove in on a particular day and explicitly told the service desk that I don't want to deal with the SA who had previously handled my case. I was promptly assigned a new SA who listened to my complaint and later took me along for a test drive.

    Once we finished a brief test drive, the SA acknowledged that there is indeed some issue and said that the resolution will take some time. I said that I am okay to leave the car for a couple of days so far as they resolve the complaint. Finally after about 4 days the car was returned to me with the issue resolved. I was told that they replaced the brakepads under goodwill, and adjusted the calipers, all free of cost.

    The car has since not troubled me and I am happy to say that finally I was well... happy with the way the case was dealt with by the RASS.

    To be continued....
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)
    4) Punto 1.3 Active (54000 kms Sold)
    5) Renault Kwid 1.0 EASY-R (New Arrival)

  2. #17
    Marshal Rudrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Navi Mumbai
    Posts
    2,068
    View My Garage
    Rep Power
    402

    Re: Whitey arrives - the Kwid 1.0 AMT

    Quote Originally Posted by Vijethcm View Post
    Ok.. last week saw two firsts:
    1. A highway drive for my Kwid
    2. The first niggle.

    Now the story, first the highway drive.

    Destination: Madikeri

    Journey: HSR Layout > Srirangapatna Bypass > Bylakuppe > Madikeri > Mysore > HSR Layout > Sidedahalli (Hesaraghatta Road) > HSR Layout

    Distance Covered: 700 kms in total (tankfull-to-tankfull);

    Fuel Used: 39.5 liters

    Conditions: About 550 kms of highway, About 30 to 40 kilometers in and around Madikeri (visiting Abbi Falls, town center, etc.) and 86 kms on ORR. Highway stretches included return journey from Mysore in peak traffic with a journey of about 150 kms taking a little more than 4 hours, with some stretches of 2 to 3 kilometers taking half an hour (didn't miss Silk Board Junction!).

    My Punto gave me a parting gift by way of a 2 day 2 night Club Mahindra voucher. I opted for the Madikeri stay considering availability and distance.

    Started about 7:30 on Nov 24 from HSR Layout and made a stopover at Mandya about 10:00 AM. The morning traffic and a broken down truck on Mysore Road adding about half an hour to the journey. After about 45 minutes stopover at Mandya for breakfast, took the bypass road at Srirangapatna to reach Bylakuppe Namdroling Monastery. We were disappointed as the monastery was closed for renovation. Spent about 45 minutes here exploring whatever was open and pit stop for self and family ;-). Reached Madikeri roughly about 2:15 I guess.. it could be later too but can't remember.

    As we started approaching Madikeri the air inside the car also started becoming pure. Possibly no matter whether the car is kept on "Internal Air Circulation" mode or "External", the quality of outside air does matter. Though I suspect that in my Kwid the amount of external air which enters the cabin is on the higher side.

    The car through its journey behaved well. A speed of 100 to 110 is maintainable, but Renault does need to upgrade the brake pads. With just about 3400 kms on the speedo, the brakes are already noisy and squeaky (started in Madikeri). The brakes are adequate to stop the car if you are at reasonable speeds, though.

    The car took the climb up and down the hills also pretty well. The gears were quite sorted to my utter surprise. The journey to Abbi falls has quite steep inclines and with 2 + 1 onboard, the car redeemed itself without any drama. The car does roll a bit and you need to keep the car at decent speeds (about 35 to 40kmph) on the curves of the hills if you don't want to run into the opposite lane. I call that safe driving... more on this later. But... a big one at that... overtaking is next to impossible. You really need a kilometer long stretch to be empty for a safe overtaking. Well I may be exaggerating a bit but that's the thing. This car is not the one for overtaking. The gearbox simply doesn't understand what it has to do in a overtaking situation. So does the engine tuning I guess. You better stick to your lane until it is really really safe for overtaking

    The stay at the Club Mahindra was great, except for the noise of diesel / petrol luggage vans going around the cottages, and the loudspeakers used in the premises for events. They absolutely spoil the tranquility of an otherwise beautiful property.

    The roads to Madikeri has its good share of curves, climb ups & down-hill. Maintaining manageable speeds is of utmost importance if you don't want to risk yourselves or other's lives. No matter which vehicle, these roads considering their curves & width dictate speeds to be kept under 45 kmph (I have driven a Nano, Punto, M800 and Kwid over such terrains / roads so I do have decent experience when I say this) to maintain safe driving conditions and keep the occupants of the car comfortable. Overtaking if done on these roads should be only done on straight stretches after giving the drivers ahead a sufficient room for emergencies. During the course of my journey I came across many idiotic drivers who are predominantly non-locals of Madikeri (from other states or cities including our own Bengaluru), or some really college / out-of-college drivers who were too impatient and overtaking in curves, or making attempts to overtake without giving sufficient space to the vehicles ahead. What happens in these situations is that a failed overtaking requires the driver to move to the left lane at short notice forcing the other vehicles also to brake suddenly. I am largely defensive in driving, despite my style of driving there were drivers who created certain close call situations.

    To all those reading this post, I urge to show patience on the roads and respect for others (not that you don't do, but similar to Rom's post on child seats for children, this is an aspect which requires re-iteration). You may at the most need an additional 1/2 hour over the entire journey if you show patience, but you will create far lesser degree of risk to yourselves, the occupants of your car, and others on the road including pedestrians.

    We surely missed the Punto and its rock solid stability, but the Kwid was good. Lighter steering made it easier for me to drive. Further, the car did scrape its underbody a couple of times despite my best efforts, the softer suspension set-up being the culprit despite the 180mm clearance advertised by Kwid (unladen).

    Traffic conditions were largely good allowing me to drive at about 85 to 90 kmph and occassionally exceed 100 kmph (believe me, Mysore Road is that fast or slow). Since I started late in the morning, did have share of traffic signals, slow-moving traffic, and a couple of jams on the way up to Madikeri. The return journey saw me getting stuck at a Flyover construction site near Mysore, and innumerable junctions on Mysore Road. The last leg of the journey (well after return to Bangalore before a refuel) included a trip from HSR layout to Hesaraghatta Road where my parents stay, and back. The way back had a few kilometer long traffic hold-ups due to flyovers on the Hebbal to KR Puram stretch being closed. Despite all this, an overall FE of 17.78 kmpl is respectable.

    Now, the second story - The First Niggle:

    We returned on the night of 26th November. On the morning of 27th November when I tried to start the car, the car did not crank. It showed up a Red Signal relating to Electrical / Electronic components. I called up the RSA and a flatbed arrived promptly. The car did crank once and they towed away the car to the Renault Silkboard RASC (Renault Authorized Service Center) which is about 1.5 kms away. I got an SMS that the car has been received at the RASC but no calls until evening. When I called up, the Service Advisor mentioned that they could not recreate the problem and therefore I could possibly pick up the car. I asked them to run the diagnostics and find the error as it was a clear error which was seen even by the towing service personnel. I also mentioned about the odour in the cabin and the requested a checkup of AC Filters and the brakepads......

    Next day, I received a call saying that they ran the diagnostics and a fault with the Clutch Motor Sensor was found, and they have asked approval from Renault for a replacement. I was told that I have the option of taking the vehicle in the meanwhile, but I refused as I did not want to get stranded again. I re-iterated the need to check the AC Filters and Brake pads. Finally on Friday I got a call that the car was ready and I visited the RASC in the evening.

    After a wait of about 20 to 25 minutes the SA arrived and explained that the Clutch Motor had sensor issues and they replaced it under warranty. Also, there was a replacement of Glovebox and Horn Pad based on a company notification based on customer complaints about the Glovebox not closing properly and the hornpad being faulty. I was asked for signatures on the papers which I promptly signed but gave the SA a piece of my mind saying that he is more interested in getting the signatures than as much as offering me a test drive and showing me the car. I also expressed my dissatisfaction over how the ASC had left scratches on my new car the previous time. All the while, I kept asking him only in my mind, "Dude! what about the AC and Brake Pads?". And then, I reached the car.

    A routine inspection of exteriors and interiors did not reveal any new scratches. I turned the ignition key on a couple of times and there was no more a warning signal. The SA headed to get a gate pass and I thought I will check the contents of the glovebox. Voila! The box wouldn't open unless pressed a few times. I was about to explode!!! Then called back the SA and the mechanic and got the old glovebox refitted. And drove out.

    The Clutch Motor Assembly apparently costs about 15300 rupees. All replacements and fitting were done free of charge.

    My trip from HSR to my parent's place and back occurred after the car was fixed. No tantrums thrown by the car. The gear shifts have seemingly become quicker - for those who have driven the AMTs - the nod is less pronounced. The engine seems to have a little more power on hand. But you know!!! The brakes still squeaks because the RASC did not even check it, yet to experience the AC odour though.

    Well, to sum the experience, a great trip, a very good car with certain limitations, a pathetic ASC (ala erstwhile Tata ASC - and I told this to the SA).

    More to come in the next episode. Happy Driving! Safe Driving!
    Hey Vijeth, its always so good to read your posts and really happy to see that even though you have sold of your Punto and moved to Kwid, you haven't stopped updating your experiences here. Thanks much, buddy

    We've always been open to multi-brand cars to be shared here. Good you made it worthy!

    Hope we cross our path and see each other soon
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

  3. #18
    Seeded Driver
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    242
    View My Garage
    Rep Power
    158

    Re: Whitey arrives - the Kwid 1.0 AMT

    Thanks Rudrah. Sure. I will hope someday I can make it to one of the MFW meets 😀.

    Btw... I had one more thing to share with the readers here, it is about the flawed AMT.

    It so happened that one fine Sunday my cousin called up to check if we can go for an outing with our kids. We decided Planetarium would be a good place. As it turned out, when my cousin visited the planetarium, it was closed. Then he called up at 2:00 PM. "hey Vijeth. Let's go to Nandi Hills!

    Now, I have stayed in Bangalore for say 25 years but never visited the Nandi Hills 😱! As soon as my wife said yes I confirmed the trip. Started from HSR Layout at 3:00 PM, picked them up on the way at Gangenahalli at 4:00 PM, and there we were on the top of the hills at 5:00 PM.

    Nandi Hills has its share of sharp steep and narrow roads and one needs to be good at driving on these roads to avoid scary situations. Knowing the AMT on the car, it was imperative that I maintain a good momentum for the car shifts at innopportune moments causing a near stall situations on very steep inclines. Not having a sports mode or manual mode ( unlike Tata AMTs) is a serious disadvantage.

    To my luck (or the lack of it), I was stuck behind a possibly new Brezza and possibly a new driver, who was himself tailing I think a Wagon R. Due to high traffic o could not overtake on whatever little straights I have (overtaking in curves is a strict NO!). As it had to happen, the two cars ahead especially the Brezza were struggling to get ahead. Possibly they were shifting too early to a higher gear. About twice my car came to a near stand still and I had to use the handbrake to prevent rolling backwards.. making me look like an absolute fool to the driver's behind me 😜.

    So anyone reading this post be aware of the glitches with AMT!

  4. #19
    Marshal Rudrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Navi Mumbai
    Posts
    2,068
    View My Garage
    Rep Power
    402

    Re: Whitey arrives - the Kwid 1.0 AMT

    Quote Originally Posted by Vijethcm View Post
    Thanks Rudrah. Sure. I will hope someday I can make it to one of the MFW meets ��.

    Btw... I had one more thing to share with the readers here, it is about the flawed AMT.

    It so happened that one fine Sunday my cousin called up to check if we can go for an outing with our kids. We decided Planetarium would be a good place. As it turned out, when my cousin visited the planetarium, it was closed. Then he called up at 2:00 PM. "hey Vijeth. Let's go to Nandi Hills!

    Now, I have stayed in Bangalore for say 25 years but never visited the Nandi Hills ��! As soon as my wife said yes I confirmed the trip. Started from HSR Layout at 3:00 PM, picked them up on the way at Gangenahalli at 4:00 PM, and there we were on the top of the hills at 5:00 PM.

    Nandi Hills has its share of sharp steep and narrow roads and one needs to be good at driving on these roads to avoid scary situations. Knowing the AMT on the car, it was imperative that I maintain a good momentum for the car shifts at innopportune moments causing a near stall situations on very steep inclines. Not having a sports mode or manual mode ( unlike Tata AMTs) is a serious disadvantage.

    To my luck (or the lack of it), I was stuck behind a possibly new Brezza and possibly a new driver, who was himself tailing I think a Wagon R. Due to high traffic o could not overtake on whatever little straights I have (overtaking in curves is a strict NO!). As it had to happen, the two cars ahead especially the Brezza were struggling to get ahead. Possibly they were shifting too early to a higher gear. About twice my car came to a near stand still and I had to use the handbrake to prevent rolling backwards.. making me look like an absolute fool to the driver's behind me ��.

    So anyone reading this post be aware of the glitches with AMT!
    hehehe while reading I was assuming either the breeza tailed back towards you or you rear ended someone on the steep inclines

    I very well remember Roms guiding me about the same AMT feature and how manual options are important in such cases. During my last test drive of the new Ford Ecosport AT T+ variant having a Torque Converter, we questioned about this a lot to the SA guy on this, as the lower variant - Trend+ doesn't have a Sports mode nor it has a Manual mode but it has a L mode that he said will take care of 1-3 gear shifts scenarios. The SA guy assured that Ford has configured the D mode and L mode to handle such cases like you experienced. Else you either end up using the handbrake more often.
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

  5. #20
    Seeded Driver
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    242
    View My Garage
    Rep Power
    158

    Re: Whitey arrives - the Kwid 1.0 AMT

    It's turning out to be a little nightmare now owning the AMT Kwid. Add to that my momentary loss of composure and it's really too hard to digest the events in the past week or so.

    The moment of brain fade came when I was driving towards Silk Board from HSR. A BMTC Volvo bus was trying to push to the right lane from the left lane without any regards for the vehicles adjacent. I honked and foolishly, did not yield. It resulted in my first ever brush with another vehicle bar those mirror touches one is used to in India. It left quite a bit of scar on my ego, and the car. I've always been proud of my defensive driving; surely that was not the day to be proud of. A little damage to the panel next to the wheel arches was the visible result. Neither I nor the bus driver chose to take things too far bar a few chosen words while stopping at the signal.

    What happened next between Monday to Wednesday now takes the cake.

    Monday, April 16th:
    I had a co passenger from Quick Ride - a ride sharing app. As I was a couple of kilometres from the destination, the gears started slipping and the vehicle gave out continuous beeps. It would self correct and then repeat. I took a video, and got the vehicle towed away from my office.

    Tuesday, April 17th:
    Collected the car back at 6:30 PM and reached Forum PVR for a movie with family. The clutch slippage was readjusted and a software update was carried out as per the SA - free of cost under warranty, and a gift box containing two coffee mugs was provided. After a couple of calls from office which spoilt my movie experience, somehow sat through the movie and reached the parking lot at about 9:30. Aaarghh! I had left the lights on and as expected the car wouldn't start. Called up the RSA again and got the car started.

    Wednesday April 18th:

    Two minutes and Two accidents! Are you serious?

    In order to avoid the Silk Board junction I sometimes take the route under the electronic city flyover. Due to the ongoing Metro work and mismanaged traffic, ran into a long wait at the signal under the flyover where I need to take a U Turn. Finally when the lights went green and I started, this Auto cut in from the left and braked suddenly as the traffic ahead also stopped. My car kissed, literally, the Auto. A two wheeler banged into the rear of the Auto. The Auto driver however chose me for the abuse. After trading a few words, he got moving and so did I, only for a Swift DZire taxi to cut into my lane, again from the left. Possibly I was distracted or whatever, I bumped into him. I had no space as I was in the right most lane. Somehow got rid off the taxi driver too ( the Auto driver ran back trying to take advantage of the situation) and I drove off. While waiting at the Udupi Garden signal, I heard a tap on my car. I saw a well dressed person who to my relief mentioned that I have a flat tyre. Pulled over after the signal and changed the tyre. That was when I surveyed the damage. It turned out that apart from a scratched bumper and lightly hanging plastic cladding, the left fender had got pushed in jamming the left front door. With a heavy heart, I drove the car back to the RASS.

    I lodged in insurance claim - for both the damages - as per advisor's advise 😁.

    And, I wait for the car. sigh!
    Last edited by Vijethcm; 22-04-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Incomplete post updated

  6. #21
    Marshal Rudrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Navi Mumbai
    Posts
    2,068
    View My Garage
    Rep Power
    402

    Re: Whitey arrives - the Kwid 1.0 AMT

    Quote Originally Posted by Vijethcm View Post
    It's turning out to be a little nightmare now owning the AMT Kwid. Add to that my momentary loss of composure and it's really too hard to digest the events in the past week or so.

    The moment of brain fade came when I was driving towards Silk Board from HSR. A BMTC Volvo bus was trying to push to the right lane from the left lane without any regards for the vehicles adjacent. I honked and foolishly, did not yield. It resulted in my first ever brush with another vehicle bar those mirror touches one is used to in India. It left quite a bit of scar on my ego, and the car. I've always been proud of my defensive driving; surely that was not the day to be proud of. A little damage to the panel next to the wheel arches was the visible result. Neither I nor the bus driver chose to take things too far bar a few chosen words while stopping at the signal.

    What happened next between Monday to Wednesday now takes the cake.

    Monday, April 16th:
    I had a co passenger from Quick Ride - a ride sharing app. As I was a couple of kilometres from the destination, the gears started slipping and the vehicle gave out continuous beeps. It would self correct and then repeat. I took a video, and got the vehicle towed away from my office.

    Tuesday, April 17th:
    Collected the car back at 6:30 PM and reached Forum PVR for a movie with family. The clutch slippage was readjusted and a software update was carried out as per the SA - free of cost under warranty, and a gift box containing two coffee mugs was provided. After a couple of calls from office which spoilt my movie experience, somehow sat through the movie and reached the parking lot at about 9:30. Aaarghh! I had left the lights on and as expected the car wouldn't start. Called up the RSA again and got the car started.

    Wednesday April 18th:

    Two minutes and Two accidents! Are you serious?

    In order to avoid the Silk Board junction I sometimes take the route under the electronic city flyover. Due to the ongoing Metro work and mismanaged traffic, ran into a long wait at the signal under the flyover where I need to take a U Turn. Finally when the lights went green and I started, this Auto cut in from the left and braked suddenly as the traffic ahead also stopped. My car kissed, literally, the Auto. A two wheeler banged into the rear of the Auto. The Auto driver however chose me for the abuse. After trading a few words, he got moving and so did I, only for a Swift DZire taxi to cut into my lane, again from the left. Possibly I was distracted or whatever, I bumped into him. I had no space as I was in the right most lane. Somehow got rid off the taxi driver too ( the Auto driver ran back trying to take advantage of the situation) and I drove off. While waiting at the Udupi Garden signal, I heard a tap on my car. I saw a well dressed person who to my relief mentioned that I have a flat tyre. Pulled over after the signal and changed the tyre. That was when I surveyed the damage. It turned out that apart from a scratched bumper and lightly hanging plastic cladding, the left fender had got pushed in jamming the left front door. With a heavy heart, I drove the car back to the RASS.

    I lodged in insurance claim - for both the damages - as per advisor's advise ��.

    And, I wait for the car. sigh!
    Oops looks like you had a worst nightmare all at once in a week! :(

    BTW what was the root cause of the clutch sippage for a new vehicle? Have you checked if this has been experienced by other Kwid owners too?

    I hope your car comes back in good shape as Day 1, all you can do is keep all the bad experiences behind and drive positively. When we keep thinking about it, we tend to make more mistakes!

    Cheers~
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

  7. #22
    Seeded Driver
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    242
    View My Garage
    Rep Power
    158

    Re: Whitey arrives - the Kwid 1.0 AMT

    They weren't really forthcoming in the reply. They mentioned that they flashed the software and adjusted the slippage as part of the continuous upgrade program. Nevertheless things are working fine as of now.

  8. #23
    Marshal Rudrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Navi Mumbai
    Posts
    2,068
    View My Garage
    Rep Power
    402

    Re: Whitey arrives - the Kwid 1.0 AMT

    Quote Originally Posted by Vijethcm View Post
    They weren't really forthcoming in the reply. They mentioned that they flashed the software and adjusted the slippage as part of the continuous upgrade program. Nevertheless things are working fine as of now.
    Great
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •