Thread: Made The Move - To Analog Music

View My Garage

Made The Move - To Analog Music

I had a lot of music on my hard disk - in excess of 500 GB - but i lost it somewhere. Unfortunately that is how we value music today. Actually. It has no value since its just a download away. A few years ago i was listening to Boney M on mp3 format. Even though the sound was crystal clear i still felt there was something missing. The music didn't take me back to my childhood. It didn't remind me of my trips with my dad to the local HMV shop where we browsed through stacks of LPs on wooden shelves and gauged the music inside based solely on the design of the covers and sleeves.

I had read somewhere that records were coming back in circulation. Hence, started to do some basic research. With manufacture of LPs and players being minimum the prices for hardware and software is high. Coupled with the extra care required with regards to the upkeep of the vinyls themselves as well as the needle which picks up the music from the tracks, vinyl collecting and listening to them is a bit tedious and expensive pass time.

This isn't my hobby but just a temporary bug so i went along with it. I saw some turntables at Rhythm house - a denon and a lenco. Both basic entry level, cheap and plasticky. However, recommended for anyone trying out vinyls or who already has old vinyls handed down from dad/grand dad. Researched on the web and came across 2 models - The Pro ject debut carbon and the Rega RP1. Both these are highly recommended by experts and produce the sound quality like the expensive TTs. These are available in Mumbai but are expensive compared to the cost abroad. I zeroed in on the Pro ject Debut Carbon DC USB Phono. Thankfully this model got released during the span of time I was researching on TTs.
    Why I chose the Pro ject?

1. Highly recommended by audiophiles
    2. Great sound
    3. Simple and elegant design
    4. Superb built to last quality
    5. Good re-sale value
    6. A DC motor – this was important as I was importing it from USA and even though I have a 220 to 110 volt step down an AC motor would spin at a different speed in India due to differential power cycles. USA runs @ 60Hz and India @ 50 Hz
    7. USB – I can connect this model to the PC and convert analog to digital mp3.
    8. Phono – This model has a built in phono stage and can be directly connected to the AUX inputs. A TT requires that the amplifier has a “Phono” selection. The sound from the TT is at a very frequency. “Phono” amplifies the sound coming from the TT before it reaches the speakers. New amps do not have this selection and we usually have the Aux option. One would need to connect the TT to a phono sound stage to amplify the sound and then connect to the Aux of the amp. This means purchasing another unit, need for more wires, more mess and more power sockets.

Placed the order in Amazon.com and my BIL brought it down with him on his subsequent trip. Total cost $499 only. Same model costs in excess of INR 50K here.

Last edited by Rudrah; 04-11-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Video formatting
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

View My Garage

Re: Made The Move - To Analog Music

Sounds interesting Can you post some pics of your setup?

Sorry but i've no idea about this, those discs are called vinyls right? Do they come for all latest songs or like if a CD has mix of songs, do they also come in the same format?

Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

here goes.....

The Turn Table without the platter

The motor, drive belt and sub platter

The motor pulley close up

The Platter

The tone arm

Carbon fibre tone arm

The Stylus - The main part which picks up the sound from the Vinyl

Tracking weight: This is to balance the tonearm so that a proper weight is exerted by the stylus (pin) on the vinyl

Anti-skate: this small weight tied to the tonearm with a thread provides a counter force (outward) to the tone arm moving into the Vinyl centre. This is to prevent the stylus sliding to the center of the vinyl.

- - - Updated - - -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg  

Last edited by neelay2709; 04-11-2016 at 10:20 PM.
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

View My Garage

Dear All,

Recently bought the Elac B6 Debut bookshelf speakers from Amazon.com. These are rated as the best (subjective) entry level speakers. Usually priced @ $250+ i got them @ $199. These have been designed by Andrew Jones who is very well known in audio circles. Got this as i wanted to set up a 2.0 system to go along with my turntable. For some time they have been lying in the box since i don't have the space to set it up. However, got to set this up yesterday for a party as my AVR konked on me. For an entry level speakers they sound amazing.

Two way speaker. 6.5 inch driver woofer

With the front grill. i prefer without the grill look.

Temp set up with Dayton audio mini amp

Mini amps to pair with the speakers:
    Left one is SMSL and the right one is Dayton audio. Both have a small antenna for bluetooth connectivity.
    For size comparison i have placed my wallet next to them.

Final setup with the SMSL for the party for some chillout lounge music

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/elac-debut-b6-review/
    https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...r-andrew-jones
    http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=95
    http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php...er-supply.html

- - - Updated - - -

Dear All,

Recently bought the Elac B6 Debut bookshelf speakers from Amazon.com. These are rated as the best (subjective) entry level speakers. Usually priced @ $250+ i got them @ $199. These have been designed by Andrew Jones who is very well known in audio circles. Got this as i wanted to set up a 2.0 system to go along with my turntable. For some time they have been lying in the box since i don't have the space to set it up. However, got to set this up yesterday for a party as my AVR konked on me. For an entry level speakers they sound amazing.

Two way speaker. 6.5 inch driver woofer

With the front grill. i prefer without the grill look.

Temp set up with Dayton audio mini amp

Mini amps to pair with the speakers:
    Left one is SMSL and the right one is Dayton audio. Both have a small antenna for bluetooth connectivity.
    For size comparison i have placed my wallet next to them.

Final setup with the SMSL for the party for some chillout lounge music

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/elac-debut-b6-review/
    https://www.soundandvision.com/content/man-mission-speaker-designer-andrew-jones
    http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=95
    http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/dayton-audio-dta-2-1b-100w-class-d-2-1-amplifier-with-bluetooth-and-power-supply.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg   1.jpg   6.jpg   5.jpg   8.jpg  
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

Competition Licence prabuddhadg's Avatar
    View My Garage

Are you using these speakers with your turntable? Is this Bluetooth only or are you using cables to connect?

View My Garage

These are not BT speakers. So hooked them to the SMSL AD18 (mini amp) using cables sourced from MX. Also using banana plugs at cable ends.
    My TT is hooked to the mini amp. So can hear TT as well as music from phone.
    The amp has a Bluetooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20180623-WA0032.jpg  
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven