Thread: Punto 1.3 Active - 45000 km Service Report

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Punto 1.3 Active - 45000 km Service Report - Final Report

Dear All

Have been off social media due to multiple factors and a slightly delayed report. End of June got the third free service done at AV Motors Sanathnagar (the service indicator came up a couple of times).

All figures approx:
    Regular Service - 6800
    Wheel Alignment - 930
    Wipers - 1600 (helped during heavy monsoon in July)
    Front suspension arms - 4800

Total approx - 13500.

Now stabilizer link rods are up for change as per a FNG during a check for knocking noise on bad roads. Expected to cost another 2500. The car has indeed taken some abuse especially by the test drivers for checking a noise in the initial 1000 kms of ownership which turned out to be a problem with struts of boot lid. I have crashed a few potholes.

Otherwise the car has held good - now at 46500 kms in less than 3 years. A puncture failed to notice resulted in driving car for about 1500 kms on highway. It was too minor to be able to detect when driving and during air topup :-(. Slightly higher tyre wear in outer part of left front. The only niggle is wheel alignment and slightly higher tyre wear. The Turanza AR 20s have held up well in the past 18k kms.

No pics sorry!. In October will move back to namma Bengaluru for good and car usage will reduce then possibly. Signing off until then!

Vijeth
    Last edited by Vijethcm; 01-08-2017 at 11:32 PM.

View My Garage

Re: Punto 1.3 Active - 45000 km Service Report

Why did you change the Front suspension arms? Any prob with the suspension?

Welcome to Namma Bengaluru, do PM your no once you reach here.
    Once a FIATian, always a FIATian!
    2004 - Fiat Palio 1.2 NV - Silver Frost
    2006 - Fiat Palio 1.6 Sports - Canary Yellow (Preowned)
    2014 - Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion - Tuscan Wine

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Hi Finney

Thank you. On the suspension - I used to get a clunk followed by a thud every time I went over a bump or entered a pothole even at near zero speeds and slight bounciness. - the car laboured over bumps than glide. I didn't mention this to the SA when I left the car for service. When the SA called to check if I want to replace the arms I asked why? He said that due to broken bushes in the arm the car makes a thud when it enters a pothole. It correlated with my experience. Even though I first said no to replacement I changed my mind later. I got back the old parts and then all the clunks and thuds disappeared and car glided rather than climbed over the bumps.

Unfortunately now I hear some knocking sounds and the car is not gliding over bumps anymore. Two FNGs had two different diagnosis - first one said stabilizer link is the culprit; second one said no mechanical issue but some loose part in the dashboard or engine bay. Will show to a third and possibly FASS to make up my mind on this.

Note: I normally slow down well to go over the bumps and potholes. But there are instances when I do abuse the car's mechancals. This might have lead to the wearing out. Though I really believe the test drivre abused the car in its initial life when searching for that knocking sound which was found to be coming from the boot lid strut.

Regards
    Last edited by Vijethcm; 21-08-2016 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Updated info

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

After much thought today I gave up the idea of visiting the MRF franchisee nearby for wheel alignment and balancing and went to Vecto Motors. Some interesting things to note:

1. Alignment and balancing now costs close to 1550 including taxes (655 alignment + 690 balancing + 214 for weights). About 5 months ago AV Motors in Hyderabad had charged only 1100 for alignment and balancing. No charge for weights. They had even reversed the treads at my request.

2. Had asked for a general check-up today which revealed known issues; brake pads were replaced, chose to postpone replacement of strut mounts and battery. Interestingly brake pads now cost 3590 including taxes as against about 2500 I was charged about a year and half earlier at AV Motors. Addl. 630 charged for labour.

3. General check-up was charged rs. 862 incl tax today. AV Motors had charged Rs. 517 (when strut mounts issue were diagnosed) and rs. 954 (during paid service for replacement of swing arms) respectively on two separate occasions despite job codes being same; realised this only today.

4. Consumables roughly rs. 200 on different occasions. Total hole in pocket today was rs. 6800; approximately re. 0.80 per km from last service while the next service is still due only after another 6 months. My usage has reduced after relocation to Bangalore but the flyover joints are causing injury to the car.

5. For the first time today I felt being fleeced by FASS; especially considering the increased charges within a span of 6 months.

6. Pure coincidence that in an Autocar survey Fiat was next only to VW as much as I can recollect in terms of costs of spares. Ford was the lowest with Swift a place higher than Ford.

7. Was told that as part of general check-up they clean filters and top up oil. No clue if they did it as I didn't bother to open and see the air filter. Vehicle surely seems to be better. And as always puts a smile on face when driving. Wonder what's the fuss about the engine being long in tooth as quoted by some car review magazines or portals. The 1.3 mjd is surely better than all other diesels if not as powerful in certain bands.

Signing off with season's greetings to all!

Vijeth

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Finally, my body caught me out. Today let go off my dream car with a heavy heart. Driving with a heavier steering no longer seemed feasible. Needed two hands even on simple turns at times, and it hurt. So let it go :-(.

Sold via Cars24. Got 3lacs. Experience was quite good. Am told will get gift vouchers worth 24k. LoL! Only when it materialises shall I believe it.

Next on cards - Alto K10 Automatic. A car I hate. But mind over heart it will be this time. Ruled out Kwid. Didn't like the idea of spending 5 lacs on road and having to adjust the mirror from outside. Nano was closer to heart but ruled out again for practicality. Don't want to spend more bucks on a car again. My heart will not go on!

Hope it gets a good owner...

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vijethcm View Post
    Finally, my body caught me out. Today let go off my dream car with a heavy heart. Driving with a heavier steering no longer seemed feasible. Needed two hands even on simple turns at times, and it hurt. So let it go :-(.

Sold via Cars24. Got 3lacs. Experience was quite good. Am told will get gift vouchers worth 24k. LoL! Only when it materialises shall I believe it.

Next on cards - Alto K10 Automatic. A car I hate. But mind over heart it will be this time. Ruled out Kwid. Didn't like the idea of spending 5 lacs on road and having to adjust the mirror from outside. Nano was closer to heart but ruled out again for practicality. Don't want to spend more bucks on a car again. My heart will not go on!

Hope it gets a good owner...
    Ohh thats sad to hear buddy :( Surely it would have been a tough decision but one can't compromise on health just like we don't over safety of our life when we buy a car. Truly the Fiats are very heavy to handle on regular city driving, be it with steering or clutch. The new generation Punto Evo clutch is somewhat lighter. Steering feedback remains the same.

BTW how much otherwise you were getting a quote for your Punto? Hope they don't gift back your Punto as gift

Next on cards - Alto K10 Automatic. A car I hate. But mind over heart it will be this time.
    seriously? That too after owning a Fiat!

If Kwid is not a option then i'm curious to know why an Alto K10! There are few ATs in that segment, even I was searching for my FIL but in used car market. I had narrowed down to :

1. Celerio
    2. Hyundai i10

Then there are others which are slightly costlier:

1. Hyundai Grand i10
    2. Tata Tiago (should be cheaper among all)
    3. Honda Brio
    4. Figo
    5. Honda Jazz

If under tight budget, you can look for the Tiago AMT or a Celerio IMO
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

As always! I did what I always do! I don't follow the herd. And I didn't this time, either.

I just couldn't convince myself to buy a Maruti. Yet I went to their showroom only to be told that my colour choices will take longer. I walked up to a nearby Renault showroom. Realised additional 50k buys additional space, a touchscreen infotainment system supporting Bluetooth calls and audio streaming, and above all a comfortable ride. So booked the Renault Kwid AMT RXT. Costed 5.2x on road. No discounts. No freebies. But a spin on the car and it didn't feel like a big compromise as it would have with Alto. I am happy. Wife is happy. 😁

@Rudrah - if they gift me back the Punto I will be in a dilemma again 😂

View My Garage

As always! I did what I always do! I don't follow the herd. And I didn't this time, either.

I just couldn't convince myself to buy a Maruti. Yet I went to their showroom only to be told that my colour choices will take longer. I walked up to a nearby Renault showroom. Realised additional 50k buys additional space, a touchscreen infotainment system supporting Bluetooth calls and audio streaming, and above all a comfortable ride. So booked the Renault Kwid AMT RXT. Costed 5.2x on road. No discounts. No freebies. But a spin on the car and it didn't feel like a big compromise as it would have with Alto. I am happy. Wife is happy. ��

@Rudrah - if they gift me back the Punto I will be in a dilemma again ��
    WTF Congratulations! Did you booked the climber edition? Look cool.

BTW didn't you thought to look on the Tiago AMT? The Tiago looks a wonderful car in and out. The reviews on the Tiago AMT seems to come out very good.
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Hi Rudrah. No. Not the Climber edition. Already I was on a stretched budget (saving for a house&#128521. That's the primary reason didn't check out on Tiago. Tiago would be close to 6.5 on road.

View My Garage

Hi Rudrah. No. Not the Climber edition. Already I was on a stretched budget (saving for a house��). That's the primary reason didn't check out on Tiago. Tiago would be close to 6.5 on road.
    Oh :( Yes the Tiago would be 1 Lakh more to Kwid but its a bigger car, comes with fantastic harman music system, safety features - dual airbags with ABS, more powerful engine, spacious and better build quality.

But I understand your priorities and so with your thoughts

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

😀. If I had a better budget would have gone for the Nexon! Drool!

But yeah. I agree on what you said About Tiago. My brother in Hyderabad bought one after selling his Figo. Similar issues with him; has left knee problem. He was luckier though, his Figo fetched 3.5 lacs after 68k KM's. It was about 15 days younger thany Punto. It's another story that I turned back a customer 2 months ago who was willing to pay 3.5 for my Punto.
    Last edited by Vijethcm; 04-08-2017 at 07:13 AM.