Thread: Lineat-Jet : Guidance requested for Items Replacement while 3 rd Free Servce

D.L.
    View My Garage

Lineat-Jet : Guidance requested for Items Replacement while 3 rd Free Servce

This is from the “Owner’s Handbook” of Linea T-Jet.

Backside of the 3rd Free Service Coupon, enlists the job to be done while the free Service.

Confusions are for The following.

As per 13:
    Is it required to replace the Spark Plugs, if there is no Problem at all?

As per 14:
    Is it essentisl to change the Power-Steering Oil?

As per 15:
    Should one replace Timing Belt every 4-5 years?

As every item/consumable in the car is company filled/fitted/installed and does not give any trouble, despite that, these are required to be replaced or changed by material/item with after sales available material/item?

Please guide me in the issue as the 3 rd Free Service is being due on 12-06-2016

Thank to all in anticipation.

Navin Talati / 01-06-2016

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linea T-Jet Replacements in 3 rd Free Service.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	11149

View My Garage

Re: Lineat-Jet : Guidance requested for Items Replacement while 3 rd Free Servce

I would follow the owner's handbook in this case.
    Punter

FIAT Palio S10
    TVS Apache RTR160

View My Garage

Re: Lineat-Jet : Guidance requested for Items Replacement while 3 rd Free Servce

I would agree with Punter. There is a reason why they mention 'X' number of kms or 'Y' years, whichever comes earlier. I had a similar dilemma recently, my Skoda Rapid is 4 years old but has done only 20k kms. The service manual suggests change of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) every 60K kms or 4 years, whichever is earlier. It also states change of spark plugs every couple of years. Now the ATF and its filter / strainer together costs 10K.

At first, I was considering delaying the gear oil replacement. But then, if we want to keep our cars in top condition, we need to give it the best and change the replacement items at stipulated intervals. So ultimately took the plunge and changed it. Also changed the VW NGK branded spark plugs even though visibly they seemed okay. The brutal weather and driving conditions in our Indian cities also mean that the wear and tear on consumables is higher.

So yes, to buy peace of mind while driving on the road with family, I would suggest you replace all consumables as mentioned in the handbook.
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

View My Garage

Unless the service guys confirms and shows you speicifc part/consumables physically that it has still more life into it then you are good to continue else best to go as per the manual suggests. When its a Fiat, better not take risk especially when Fiat services is going towards a dead end
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

Navin,
    Its always better to stick to the owners manual given by the company, unless you have vertical expertise in the particular domain. The auto components are very stringently designed and can be used even after the end of the stipulated life, but the performance surely degrades and this can crop up as an deterrent while claiming warranty in case something goes south.
    Regarding your query, yes the spark plugs and timing belt needs to be changed at due intervals, regarding the Power Steering Oil, do check it yourself if possible. Hydraulic Power Steering is a closed loop system and the nothing really happens to the oil except for drop of Viscosity, VI, and formation of traces of Moisture. A mere physical & visual check of the oil is enough to gauge its approximate condition.

Hrushikesh.