A good upgrade.
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

D.L.
    View My Garage

Re: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The Story Of My Pre-worshipped Car

A very good Upgrade...Keep it Up Cheers....

View My Garage

Wow nice upgrade Raaj!! You will feel the difference straight away. Just follow few things and your Mich will last for at least 40-45kms.
    Make sure that you are doing alignment and rotation in every 5K kms and wheel balancing in every 10K kms. My punto is running on Xm2 and can tell you nothing beats Michelin. So congrts on a good choice.

I have owned 1.9D, This was my first Fiat and i still miss this car. Few months back the second owner had put it on a sale once again as he upgraded to s-cross and i was once again tempted to pick her up but i refrained myself. It's gem of a machine ONLY if you take a proper and timely care of her. Other wise it will haunt you even in our dreams. So make sure that you stick to 5K kms oil drain interval and nothing will happen to this beast. Few points which i would like to put down based on whatever you have shared are as follows,

- 1.9 D goes till 170 but progress after 155-160 is slow

- My 1.9 D was on 5W-40 but i think you should not try synthetic oil now as it's a thinner oil and you can experience multiple oil leaks. So stick to normal oil. Just make sure that you are using an oil from good brand. Shell works the best.

- Engine check error is because of Fuel pump error. It wont go away by clearing it using ECU scanner. YOu need to change the rotor sensor which sits on fuel pump and it will be a costly affair. At least 24K to fix it and another 1-2K for mechanic to remove the Fuel pump and refit it. As per as i know the only place where you can get this rotor sensor changed is in Mumbai, Andheri. Delphi service center. But i think now even they dont have these sensors in stock.

- If you want to prolong the life of this senor make sure that you always do a tankful from reputed pump. good quality fuel will extend it's life.

- Never allow diesel level to fall below half mark. the moment it's half empty do a tankful.

- AC not working!! mostly the AC compressor has gone bad and replacement is not easy and will be a costly affair. couple of folks had tried to fix some after market compressor but not sure if it really worked.

- Make sure you change the Diesel filter after every 15K kms.

I am already missing my beast

Take a look at this..
    http://www.myfiatworld.com/showthread.php?t=546&page=2
    Last edited by ne@fiat; 14-12-2016 at 03:52 PM.

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rudrah View Post
    Lovely upgrade bro
    Thanks very much Rudrah.

Quote Originally Posted by neelay2709 View Post
    Comfy ride assured by the XM2s.
    A good upgrade.
    Thanks a lot Neel.

Quote Originally Posted by jeetu rane View Post
    A very good Upgrade...Keep it Up Cheers....
    Thanks very much Jeetu.

Quote Originally Posted by ne@fiat View Post
    Wow nice upgrade Raaj!! You will feel the difference straight away. Just follow few things and your Mich will last for at least 40-45kms. Make sure that you are doing alignment and rotation in every 5K kms and wheel balancing in every 10K kms. My punto is running on Xm2 and can tell you nothing beats Michelin. So congrts on a good choice.

Thanks a lot for your kind wishes. Yes, Mich is great tyres and am already enjoying my ride. But suspension and ball joints got weak. Hence, iam planning to change the whole suspension kit. That's my next project. Probably in next 15 days.

I have owned 1.9D, This was my first Fiat and i still miss this car. Few months back the second owner had put it on a sale once again as he upgraded to s-cross and i was once again tempted to pick her up but i refrained myself. It's gem of a machine ONLY if you take a proper and timely care of her. Other wise it will haunt you even in our dreams. So make sure that you stick to 5K kms oil drain interval and nothing will happen to this beast.

Yes, It's real beast. Good to know you were enjoyed it too. Had it been the service and parts were available with FASS with normal prices, this would have got even more attention. Anyways, thanks to 99rpm, at least we are getting the right spares, albeit at too heavy premium price. Perhaps Benj/BMW like prices. LOL.

1.9 D goes till 170 but progress after 155-160 is slow
    In my experience, I touched 135 kms speed at once. I couldn't dare to push after that since it doesn't have ABS/Airbags. However, any car would be safe at 100 or 120 considering our Indian roads.

My 1.9 D was on 5W-40 but i think you should not try synthetic oil now as it's a thinner oil and you can experience multiple oil leaks. So stick to normal oil. Just make sure that you are using an oil from good brand. Shell works the best.
    Thanks very much for this very valuable suggestion. I switched to 15W-40 of Shell Helix which had costed me Rs.1000/-. The engine sounds a little harsh comparing to synthetic oil. Iam planning to use Petronas Vision 15W-40 from the next service onwards.

Engine check error is because of Fuel pump error. It wont go away by clearing it using ECU scanner. YOu need to change the rotor sensor which sits on fuel pump and it will be a costly affair. At least 24K to fix it and another 1-2K for mechanic to remove the Fuel pump and refit it. As per as i know the only place where you can get this rotor sensor changed is in Mumbai, Andheri. Delphi service center. But i think now even they dont have these sensors in stock.
    Iam pretty sure it wasn't Fuel Pump error as there wasn't any indications nor any power failure. It was due to some mishap and instant error while some electric work done by our local electrician. Perhaps, an ECU error. I have to show it in FASS.

If you want to prolong the life of this senor make sure that you always do a tankful from reputed pump. good quality fuel will extend it's life.Never allow diesel level to fall below half mark. the moment it's half empty do a tankful.
    Yes, In most cases I fill atleast half of the tank and always use the ESSAR diesel near to my house. If iam out of station, and can't find ESSAR, then I prefer HP.

AC not working!! mostly the AC compressor has gone bad and replacement is not easy and will be a costly affair. couple of folks had tried to fix some after market compressor but not sure if it really worked.
    Yes, it surealy a costly affair. For now, iam not considering since Iam going to buy Urban Cross Abarth Tjet. But surely, I will consider this AC replace/repair in future.

Make sure you change the Diesel filter after every 15K kms.
    The original filter is very costly. Do you know any after market filters fits for Palio D?

I am already missing my beast

Take a look at this..
    http://www.myfiatworld.com/showthread.php?t=546&page=2
    Just read that heart felt thread. Iam very sorry. I must say any available diesel car in Indian Market come closer to this beast as we get fantastic ride both on city and highways. I can say, iam proud owner of 1.9, although its getting too many troubles to me.
    My Ownership thread: 2004 Fiat Palio 1.9 D: The Story Of My Pre-worshipped Car

Proud owner of two endangered species i.e. Fiat Palio D 1.9 & Urban Cross Abarth :)

View My Garage

Hey Raaj,

Whats the update on the Urban Cross TJet? I guess you can wait till next or so where you would get in discounted price (hopefully)
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

Hey Raaj,

Whats the update on the Urban Cross TJet? I guess you can wait till next or so where you would get in discounted price (hopefully)
    Thank You Rudrah.

Yes, Iam waiting for the discounts on Urban Cross (hopefully, they offer for Tjet edition) and in the meantime, hope they won't raise the price of it like of other car makers. The problem with Urban Cross Tjet, if it's basic price crosses 10 Lakhs, that would attract different tax system. Hope they are not fool enough to raise the price of it.

Regards,
    Raaj.

Proud owner of two endangered species i.e. Fiat Palio D 1.9 & Urban Cross Abarth :)

View My Garage

Car started to show some heavy smoke and other engine problems, mainly losing power etc sometime around in February 2017. Though, I bought Urban Cross Abarth, I wanted to run this car too. Hence, gave it another try with all new setup.

Updates:
    - Installed New Front Suspension including Lower arms stabilizer bar bush kit
    - EGR Cleaning
    - ECU reset
    - Replaced Diesel Tank
    - Replaced with New Alternator, Belt
    - New Timing Belt
    - Replaced Tensioner Pulley
    - New Water Pump
    - Replaced with decently maintained Radiator
    - General Service with Petronas Vision Engine Oil
    - Installed New Air Filter /Fuel Filter
    - Changed all fluids, coolant
    - Bumper & Fog lamps installation
    - New Number Plates
    - Few other things...

My special thanks to our forum member Micki9559 for his kind involvement to make this beast back into good condition. Without his support and help, this wouldn't have happened. Thank you my friend.

However, few things are still need a concern.
    - AC is not working. I'm thinking to install Swift AC in it. But not yet finalized. Let's see how it goes.
    - Complete body paining
    - New seat covers should be installed once all things done

Now some pictures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20161230_204613.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	12401

Name:	Airf.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	12404

Name:	P_20170103_071507.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	12403

Name:	P_20161230_212908.jpg 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	12402

Name:	P_20161230_204757.jpg 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	12410

Name:	IMG-20170718-WA0014.jpg 
Size:	282.3 KB 
ID:	12416

Name:	IMG-20170716-WA0013.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	12415

Name:	IMG-20170712-WA0074.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	12414

Name:	IMG-20170710-WA0153.jpg 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	12413

Name:	IMG-20170710-WA0126.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	455.6 KB 
ID:	12412

Name:	IMG-20170710-WA0026.jpg 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	12411

Name:	IMG-20170807-WA0054.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	12408

Name:	IMG-20170711-WA0052.jpg 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	12407

Name:	IMG-20170710-WA0053.jpg 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	12406

Name:	IMG-20170708-WA0040.jpg 
Size:	521.4 KB 
ID:	12405

Name:	IMG-20170807-WA0057.jpg 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	12417

Name:	PalioUC.jpeg 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	12409

View My Garage

Great work but looks like almost a restoration of major components. Changing the AC would be another major work.

Did you got all the OEM parts?

I assume that mickie did all these work, great work
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!

View My Garage

Great work but looks like almost a restoration of major components. Changing the AC would be another major work.

Did you got all the OEM parts?

I assume that mickie did all these work, great work
    Yes, all are original parts and most of them are sourced from 99rpm. And I forgot to mention, I changed headlights too with new ones.

This restoration project costed real heavy money, infact I might have got another decently maintained Palio for these expenses. But my heart didn't let her go.

There's one very good mechanic by name "Saudagar" in Dharwad. He did all this work, but Mickie had supervised it.

My next project will be fixing AC in it and then Painting and seat covers to complete this restoration.

View My Garage

Good job so far!

Since you're restoring most of all critical components of the car, might be good if you take care of the body rusting and all rubber parts too, to have extended a longer life. With the expenses, you would want it to run for atleast another 5 years?

View My Garage

Good job so far!

Since you're restoring most of all critical components of the car, might be good if you take care of the body rusting and all rubber parts too, to have extended a longer life. With the expenses, you would want it to run for atleast another 5 years?
    Thank you Subhodh. At the time of painting work to be done, I will take care of body rusting and rubber parts.

Yes, my plan is to keep it as long as possible, atleast as long as the parts are available. IMO, Palio 1.9D or any Fiat cars are least expensive when it comes for maintenance provided parts are working properly. Just a proper service and chalte raho... But when some parts go kaput, its real pain to procure them as you know they are damn costly and 99rpm is unreliable too.

Just spending all these expenses for the sheer driving pleasure. And not to forget, the mileage iam getting in this car is simply magical. For a pure city drive, iam getting nearly 550 kms with one full tank. And on highway drive its easily gives 900 plus. What more you can expect from a 13 year old car?

View My Garage

Some more repairs

Car was doing fine until a mad evening. I parked the car for some shopping for a while, and when started, the gears weren't engaged. And then, I sensed some smoke smell. I immediately opened the bonnet, and for my horror, the fire on engine bay.

I called my mechanic and towed the car to his garage. Next morning, the list was endless. Transmission case, clutch control shaft, Clutch plates were broken. Also Armature and battery cables were burned.

I ordered Transmission Case, Shaft and cables in 99rpm. They took nearly two months and still failed to deliver the items, saying not available.

Finally through a kind friend, I managed to find the items on scrapped car and could able to restore the car. Also replaced the gear lever base support. Let the pictures speaks the story.

Name:	1Fire on Enginebay.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	12801

Name:	2BrokenShaft.jpg 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	12802

Name:	3Broken.jpg 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	12803

Name:	4BrokenTrans.jpg 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	12804

Name:	5Armature.jpg 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	12805

Name:	6Clutchkit.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	12806

Name:	7Clutchset.jpg 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	12807

Name:	8Starter cable.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	12808

Name:	9Transmission case.jpg 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	12809

Name:	10Car ready.jpg 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	12810

View My Garage

Re: Some more repairs

Raj thats horrific to see fire in engine bay. Do you carry fire extinguisher in your car? How did you controlled fire?

Happy to see car is back on road and you are enjoying diesel torque after enjoying petrol rush power from mighty Scorpion.
    Punter

FIAT Palio Adventure 1.6
    FIAT Palio S10
    TVS Apache RTR160

View My Garage

Re: Some more repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Punter View Post
    Raj thats horrific to see fire in engine bay. Do you carry fire extinguisher in your car? How did you controlled fire?

Happy to see car is back on road and you are enjoying diesel torque after enjoying petrol rush power from mighty Scorpion.
    Hi Kedar, yes that's very unfortunate incident. I don't have fire extinguisher in my car. I had stopped the fire with road side dry sand.

I like the low end torque of Palio 1.9D which gives great kicks to me. Happy to be the owner of two awesome endangered species.