Thread: Top 4 reasons to buy the new Abarth powered Fiat Avventura

View My Garage

Cool Top 4 reasons to buy the new Abarth powered Fiat Avventura

Attachment 10605

If power figures of 140bhp and 210Nm of torque aren’t reasons enough for you to consider the new Avventura with the Abarth tuned engine. Here are four other reasons that make this an interesting proposition for a price tag of Rs 9.95 lakh (ex-Delhi).

Performance: Standalone the power figures are impressive. But what makes them even more interesting is the fact that no other car under Rs 10 lakh, apart from its sibling, the Abarth Punto, has a similar rating be it a crossover, hatchback, sedan or even an SUV. The 1.4-litre T-Jet turbocharged engine from the Linea has been retuned and the crossover gets to 100kmph in under 10 seconds.

Ground clearance: The 205mm ground clearance is on par with that of the Renault Duster and more than all the crossovers and entry-level SUVs including the Volkswagen Cross Polo, Toyota Etios Cross, Ford EcoSport, Maruti S-Cross and even the Hyundai Creta.

Looks and size: With the boot mounted spare tyre and the black body cladding, the Avventura looks bigger than the other hatchback-based crossovers in India. Though technically it is still a hatchback, finding gaps in city traffic is so much easier than in any other car.

One of a kind: There are no performance oriented crossovers in India. And ones that pump out decent amount of power are all diesels. The Avventura, then, is the only option in the mass market, if one is looking for a petrol vehicle that has decent power and yet offers ground clearance to go over all the bad roads in India.

Source: Carwale.com
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

Re: Top 4 reasons to buy the new Abarth powered Fiat Avventura

Those are some good reasons for considering the 'powered by Abarth' Avventura, esepically if you don't compare it to the Abarth Punto. However, from whatever I've read, the only 'real' advantage of the Avvy over Abarth Punto is the ground clearance. The Abarth Punto rides at a lowly 155mm, which is 10mm down from the pre-2012 Puntos and Lineas that had a ride height of 165mm. We've had a first hand experience of how the long wheel base coupled with 165mm of ground clearance becomes a cause of worry when the vehicle is fully loaded and goes over bigger humps / pot holes. Given this, the Avvy is the more practical of the two. And a sub 10 second timing for the 0-100 is rather special as well. So a standalone option, the Avvy definitely makes a case for itself.

But, it pales in comparison in other areas when compared to the Punto Abarth. The Punto will be more focussed for handling with the stiffer dampers and low ground clearance, it should have slightly better steering feel and response, better acceleration (faster to reach the ton). And there is no real space advantage of one over the other. Plus, the boot mechanism and the rear mounted spare wheel may look good, but are cumbersome to operate in real world situations.

If it were me, I would choose the Abarth Punto any given day. Then again, this depends on priorities and if someone wants a fast practical hatchback that has road presence, then the Avventura it would be. In any case, Fiat has finally decided to give the Avvy an engine that it deserved from the very start.

On a related note, what really gets my goat is the fact that Fiat seems to be on a suicide mission yet again. There isn't a single dealer allocated to sell the Abarth brand in Mumbai or even Navi Mumbai. So unfortunately, we can't even take a test drive if we wish to. Worse, if someone wants to buy the vehicle, they just can't say 'Here Fiat, just shut up and take my money!', because Fiat wont oblige
    Last edited by roms; 28-10-2015 at 04:08 PM.
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee - Sold
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

View My Garage

Since Abarth Punto is not available in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai, I've no clarity on Avventura Abarth. Is it also gonna be available with limited cities?
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

I guess it depends whether you often drive on good roads or bad roads. For bad roads & Indian Highways I would go for the Avventura.

Just as a case - on my recent trip back from Goa, an Avvy guy passed me in my Punto. By the looks of it, the car was comfortable with almost any road, looked big, and stable. And then.... with a spate of road bumps and diversions coming up around the township where I live, two days ago I went over what looked like regular 2.5 inch cement bricks & bumps trying to take a diversion and it hit the engine guard. Hit, it did take and caused increased vibrations as it was touching the base of the engine (probably the oil sump). Lucky me that it did not get damaged and could be bent to remove the contact and now the vibrations are gone.

What I intend to say is that due to the slightly softer suspension even a 185mm GC did not help my Punto. What would happen if a lower slung car was to take such a diversion? Something like Avvy would simply glide over such obstacles.

PS: I don't have the vitamin M otherwise even a week before I went to Goa, my heart was all sold out for an Avventura in the Service Center....
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)
    4) Punto 1.3 Active (54000 kms Sold)
    5) Renault Kwid 1.0 EASY-R (New Arrival)

D.L.
    View My Garage

Was waiting to test drive the Abarth Punto. Yesterday got a call frm Fiat that they dont have demo vehicle for Mumbai. I told them they dont even have a showroom for Mumbai. Its sad really sad. Bloody sack the Fiat India CEO . How can you not have a functioning showroom in a city like Mumbai.

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
    Was waiting to test drive the Abarth Punto. Yesterday got a call frm Fiat that they dont have demo vehicle for Mumbai. I told them they dont even have a showroom for Mumbai. Its sad really sad. Bloody sack the Fiat India CEO . How can you not have a functioning showroom in a city like Mumbai.
    I'm surprised to know how come Fiat ppl didn't first acknowledge that there is no dealer in place first to give you a Test drive

So what was their reply in the end, will they send it over from Pune?

View My Garage

I tend to agree with Vijeth and Roms here. It really depends on what you want out of your ride. While a sub 10 sec clip to 100 kph is really awesome stuff, I am not sure if you can really throw the Avventura around bends like the Abarth. But the Avventura was perceived as sluggish due to the additional weight and I guess the T-Jet will make mends here.

I am keen to see who will be the first one in the forum to get the Abarth. Is it you or Roms in Mumbai?

cheers,

Ram
    If everything is in control, you aren't going fast enough.

View My Garage

While I wanted to have the focus more on the Avventura on this thread, I cannot stop myself at despairing how Mumbai has lost out on a decent showroom and that too when it is so close to Pune which is the cradle of FIAT in India

If this happens in Mumbai, I have fingers crossed for those in remote parts of India. What will they do with an Avventura which will be good for the countryside if there are hardly any service stations
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes

View My Garage

Sid- it is ironical that how the cradle and the grave are so close to each other..

I really don't understand how an automaker can ignore a market as Mumbai which has both the moolah and the enthusiasts. Something is really wrong higher up there at FIAPL.

regards,

Ram
    If everything is in control, you aren't going fast enough.

View My Garage

Mnemonic & Sid, the situation with Fiat in Mumbai has gone from bad to worst now. All dealers have stopped functioning with Fiat. Its only RS Motors I guess now is the only available authorised Fiat service center! Can you imagine the gravity of the problem with Fiat here?

Couple of days back, got to know from our Pugger Mohit Sampat who owns a Palio as well as Linea MJD residing in Vashi, was told from Balaji they are no more authorised service center. So after he got in touch with Mangesh from Fiat, he was told there is one new assigned at Panvel!!

Tragic situation in the times when Fiat is launching cars with sporty engines!

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
    Sid- it is ironical that how the cradle and the grave are so close to each other..
    Very well said Mnemonic!!
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes