Thread: Do you UBER?

View My Garage

Do you UBER?

What's UBER?

Wikipedia - Uber Technologies Inc. is an American international transportation network company headquartered in San Francisco, California. It develops, markets and operates the Uber mobile app, which allows consumers with smartphones to submit a trip request which is then routed to Uber drivers who use their own cars. As of May 28, 2015, the service was available in 58 countries and 300 cities worldwide. Since Uber's launch, several other companies have emulated its business model, a trend that has come to be referred to as "Uberification".

Uber was founded as "UberCab" by Travis Kalanick and Garrett Camp in 2009 and the app was released the following June. Beginning in 2012, Uber expanded internationally. In 2014, it experimented with carpooling features and made other updates. By mid-2015, Uber was estimated to be worth $50B. Many governments and taxi companies have protested against Uber, alleging that its use of unlicensed, crowd-sourced drivers was unsafe and illegal. It is estimated that Uber will generate $10 billion in revenue by the end of 2015.
    More here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uber_%28company%29

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	10293

The name does not reveal much about this new taxi business model that is becoming a rage in metros like Mumbai. This isn't a typical radio cab company where one needs to book a cab way in advance and even then, there is no guarantee that a cab will be made available at your designated time and place. This where Uber makes a difference. For starters, the business model is strictly based on the mobile platform and there are no call centres to approach. Same goes for the mode of payment - there is no exchange of physical cash between the 'Riders' and the 'Drivers'. Which means that only the very tech savvy amongst the taxi goers can make use of this facility. I say its a blessing in disguise, given that lesser crowd means better service for now. And how!

Yes, there was a freak case in Delhi where a woman claimed to have been raped by Uber driver Shiv Kumar Yadav in her city and sued the company for negligence in US courts. Now that is indeed terrible. Then again, I guess this attitude of the drivers differs from city to city and a metro like Mumbai is invariably considered to be safer than Delhi. Its also got to do with the fact that unlike radio cab services like Tab Cab and the like, Uber does business with private cab owners to get the job done. So anyone with a 'T' tourist permit vehicle can apply to become an Uber Driver.

Name:	Clipboard06.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	10294

Name:	Clipboard05.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	10295

So you see, its no surprise that the concept is catching on with tourist cab operators and the users of the service alike. The black and yellow taxi cab union even went off the roads and called a strike against the services, because its eating into their business and is getting quite popular with office goers. I find myself becoming a regular user as well. I have used Uber at places where no cabs would ply, at hours where getting a regular cab would be a difficult task, and even when I wish to get a hassle free air conditioned ride for work related matters during the day.

But how does UBER really work?

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	10296

Continued..
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee - Sold
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

View My Garage

UBER - Everyone's Private Driver!

Here's what you need to do in order to start 'riding' on Uber :

1] Download the App on your Android, iOS or Windows Phone Device and sign up as a Rider;

2] There are two modes of payment, international CC or by using the PayTM App Wallet. But it says that the CC mode is only applicable for cards issued outside of India. Which means its for people visiting and wanting to use the service. Thus, PayTM is the defacto mode of payment. PayTM is another great app which lets you pay utility and phone bills, make DTH and prepaid phone recharges and is even connected to the UBER account. So you can fill up some cash by transferring money in your online wallet;

3] Once you know there is sufficient balance in your PayTM account, it should reflect in the 'payment' section of the UBER app as well;

4] Open the app and wait for the map to load and the GPS to figure out your current location. Assuming that's where you want to be picked up from, go ahead and call your cab or physically move around your pick up point on the app if you want it be another pick up location;

5] There are various cab options available that differ in the size of the vehicle and consequentially, the pricing. Uber Go is the hatchback category where you could get a Indica / Swift / Figo and the like. Uber X is the regular sedan category with cars such as the comfortable Indig Manza, Swift Dzire, Renault Scala will service your needs, Uber Black is for those nights when you wish to make a statement or want to carry your family in the comfort of a Toyota Corolla Altis. Uber SUV for me has always been the ubiquitous but practical Innova. so when I know there are more than 3-4 passenger to ferry, this option makes sense. They also have intercity options;

6] Once you choose the preferred category, it lets you know the estimated wait time for cars from various class of cars. The max wait time is always noticed on the cheapest option, understandably (between 5 mins to 15 mins). The second category of sedans is my preferred class since the pricing isn't that much higher and the wait time always seems to hover between 3 to 5 mins. Same goes for the higher categories;

7] Confirming the ride sends out a message to the driver with your details and location and you get his details along with his picture and car's details. I always call up the driver to make sure he knows where I am waiting exactly;

8] If you are travelling through a toll road, like the Rajiv Gandhi Bandra Worli Sea Link, don't pay at the toll both, for the price is added to your final invoice. The GPS keeps a track of your location and figures it out, keeping you out of this hassle;

9] Once you reach your destination, the driver will ask if can end the journey on his phone. That will bring up a fare total and a feedback given on the rider (that means you the rider will need to be well behaved as well for a high rating!). Once he does that, you get pop up on the app with the total amount paid through PayTM and then you can give your feedback on the driver. End of journey!;

10] A detailed email will follow, showing start and end times, route taken, options to get in touch with the cab driver in case you left something behind, etc.

I am not getting into the specifics with regards to the pricing, but rest assured, its not daylight robbery and at times I've found it to be cheaper than using the regular cabs. Plus, there is a base fare that takes care of minimum amount payable. So if you are really desperate and need a cab to drive you say 2 kms, they won't question your distance. Heck, you could travel 200 meters and they wouldn't care as they get their minimum fare. On those nights where drinking is a possibility, I have appreciated how the cab service gets me home without taking a risk. Even at 1.30 am last night, I got an Innova within 5 minutes of booking my cab on the app. Or in the day, when I want to keep traffic and parking out of my way, the cab service wafts me in the comfort of relatively new 'T' badged cars with air conditioning to boot! On a couple of occasions my wife asked me to get her a cab. An Altis for the lady at both times earned me some brownie points and I could track the cab's movement in real time on my phone.

There is also an option to carpool by splitting the fare on the app with another Uber user. But I have not used the same as yet.

Here are the cities where one could avail of Uber's services -

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	10297

At the end of it all, I see a lot of potential for cab services such as these. I am hooked onto it for now as I have had a great experience with polite drivers with decent driving etiquettes at most times. I like what it says on the splash screen when the app starts up on my phone "UBER - Everyone's Private Driver". It does sort of feel that way.

So do you UBER as well? What's been your experience thus far? It will be nice to know

Uber webpage - https://www.uber.com/
    Last edited by roms; 20-07-2015 at 12:35 AM.
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee - Sold
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

View My Garage

Re: UBER - Everyone's Private Driver!

I had used Uber service twice in last two months.Paid through paytm and got discount of 40% on first ride. Very good service. Even toll is paid by driver.
    FIAT USERS-Confidence is what you have when you don't really understand the situation.
    SANJEEV HARIKANT
    PALIO 1.2NV SPORTS(NOT YET SOLD)
    PALIO 1.3SDX MULTIJET(NOT YET SOLD)-DRIVING A JET ON INDIAN ROADS
    SIENA 1.2ELPS(NOT YET SOLD)
    FIAT 1100(NOT YET SOLD)
    VESPA 125(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA FZ16(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA R15 VER1(NOT YET SOLD)

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MULTIJET View Post
    I had used Uber service twice in last two months.Paid through paytm and got discount of 40% on first ride. Very good service. Even toll is paid by driver.
    Sanjeev, even most of the time toll is paid by driver, but they take money from you and hand over to toll collector

View My Garage

just when we thought no issues, someone posted on FB about Uber service:

‪#‎MyStory‬ ‪#‎GeneralAwareness‬

I booked UberGo but this driver, Raju (Cab # KA 51B 7626), having UberBlack accepted the ride. He picked up my elderly parents (both senior citizens), I asked him to switch on the AC and he didn't say anything then.

Later he just started the ride from my place...switched on the engine and killed it right in front of my door. And then, he refused to start the AC!! He told me that I need to pay UberX fare for the AC!! I told him that he has to do as requested to which he abused me in Kannada, made hand gestures and called me "laude ka baal"!!!! My elderly parents were still sitting in the cab all this while!
    When I kept telling him that he has to switch on the AC else, I will take his pictures and send a complaint, he was amused and he literally pushed my elderly parents out of his cab!! My father resisted so he abused even him!!

I didn't want any scene there so I simply asked my parent to step out of his cab and I took his pictures (attached)
    To top it all up, this "uber" experience cost me 50 bucks!!

What If Scenarios:
    After this, I sent you guys a mail at supportbangalore@uber.com with all the 5 pics. Guess what, you guys have a limit to the message one can send, 5MB...
    Tell me, If I would have made a video of this incident, how on the face of this earth, I would have shown that to the "awesome coders" & "ass management" sitting at Uber?

Forget me, if tomorrow any woman passenger faces any kind of harassment and she decides to capture any of it on video, there is NO bloody way your system supports her in lodging a complaint with you!!!

Need I say that you are looking at another social media outburst against you guys?!

via fb/ankur.rastogi.944

Name:	Ube.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	10355

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshb View Post
    Sanjeev, even most of the time toll is paid by driver, but they take money from you and hand over to toll collector
    Ganesh Anna joke maara
    I mean to say even if you are not carrying a single pie than also no need to worry.It reflects in final settlement and paid through Paytm or credit card.
    Guys on a safer side always try to send message of cab registration number to your close friends or family members whenever you are travelling.
    FIAT USERS-Confidence is what you have when you don't really understand the situation.
    SANJEEV HARIKANT
    PALIO 1.2NV SPORTS(NOT YET SOLD)
    PALIO 1.3SDX MULTIJET(NOT YET SOLD)-DRIVING A JET ON INDIAN ROADS
    SIENA 1.2ELPS(NOT YET SOLD)
    FIAT 1100(NOT YET SOLD)
    VESPA 125(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA FZ16(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA R15 VER1(NOT YET SOLD)

D.L.
    View My Garage

Thanks for the Uber service, It's very much comfortable and affordable.