Thread: Power Steering Issue

Competition Licence
    View My Garage

Power Steering Issue

Since purchase in 08/2008, the power steering seemed heavy. The then TASS and now FASS, said everything was fine. About 2 years ago, FASS changed the power steering pump but situation is the same. Hari Prasad from Bangalore with whom on an outing saw the way I had to apply force/effort to move the steering wheel. Please share if you too faced with a similar situation

Sent from my HTC Desire 820 dual sim using Tapatalk
    Pessimist on Quality in India & an Optimist Fiatian

View My Garage

Re: Power Steering Issue

Not faced a problem with the Palio Stile version but I was surprised to hear that the Punto steering is also on the heavier side
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes

View My Garage

No I am not facing such kind of issues with my Palio S10 and Punto 90HP.

Yes Palio's steering is slightly light than Punto. May be 15" and 195 section tyres of Punto makes it heavy.
    Punter

FIAT Palio Adventure 1.6
    FIAT Palio S10
    TVS Apache RTR160

View My Garage

Punter - I was referring to what Tinesh and some others have been saying about the Punto steering over the last few days.

Even I was surprised to hear this about the Punto product line.
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes

D.L.
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amit2301 View Post
    Since purchase in 08/2008, the power steering seemed heavy. The then TASS and now FASS, said everything was fine. About 2 years ago, FASS changed the power steering pump but situation is the same. Hari Prasad from Bangalore with whom on an outing saw the way I had to apply force/effort to move the steering wheel. Please share if you too faced with a similar situation

Amit,
    To check if Pump is the culprit : Jack up your car on the four post and and rotate the steering. Steering effort should be one fourth of the car on road i e around 1 to 1.2 kg. If the steering effort is found to be above 4kg then there is a pump issue.
    For problem identification and solution
    Check for the steering type with FASS, whether it is a bearing bearing or a bush bearing type column. Request replacement of bearings immediately. Then move to SBJ and check for wear and Tear , repleace SBJ's at both end of R & P. Check torque for R & P on both sides during car mounted on 4 post. If found ok then check P.S pump with FASS sample and do a test drive. If there is no issue , then replace pump fitted in your car.
    All these things to be done after ensuring the oil level and quality of oil.
    If there is still an issue check for current caster values with original specs. If you are using oversize tyres kindly revert to originals.

D.L.
    View My Garage

By the way, Does your car pull to one side when the vehicle is going straight. And pl provide your current Tyre size and make.
    MFW friends require your confirmation on the tyre make on the Gen 1 2008 punto, It is the goodyear GP3 if I am not wrong for SDE variant.

Thanks
    Gokul

Competition Licence
    View My Garage

It used to pull to the left but now that issue is not there. Without knowing anything, FASS changed the pump that hasn't brought in any improvement. Tyres are YOKOHAMA A Drive 13/165/R13

Pessimist on Quality in India & an Optimist Fiatian

D.L.
    View My Garage

Dear Amit,
    In an IFS, the castor values do not change, only the camber and toe values change. I want you chack the castor values with originals because, if changed, the torque required to steer automatically changes. This is because of the waer and tear of the suspension bushes and suspension ball joints. This also causes pulling. If you say your car is not pulling now, then pl check for uneven wear (such as crown wear/shoulder wear) on the front tyres. Interested in knowing the Non skid depth values at 4 points in each tyre at outer edge, center and inner edge which makes it 12 points per tyre.

D.L.
    View My Garage

I have not faced any issues my car is in good condition and I love it. Try to maintain your car in good manner by timely service.