Thread: The ICE Dilemma

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

The ICE Dilemma

Nearly a year and half into the ownership of the Punto 1.3 Active, I started feeling the need to have an Aux In or USB on my car's ICE. I do buy CDs for the Classical Stuff. But the filmy stuffs need to be on MP3. So writing a new CD was nearly impossible; not to mention the wear and tear.

To overcome this limitation, I opted to go for an FM Modulator about a couple of months ago. All was going fine. With the help of some rendering, the overall sound quality seemed better. Then I committed the blunder of playing the song via a chip and trying to charge my mobile using the USB port of the modulator. It went bust!

Then again, I bought one more piece of the Modulator but it went bust within 10 days. The Modulator switches on but transmission went weak, weaker, and gone!

In a recent visit to the FASS to check wheel alignment, I asked the advisor if they can upgrade the ICE with that on the Dynamic or Emotion model. They said, "NO. You can get it done from outside if you want, but then you would lose the warranty." Is it so?

Is there any solution for this? I am a little scared to lose the warranty by either getting the ICE opened for hacking or for replacing it. On the other hand I don't want to keep trying a new FM Modulator every month only to see it go bust! What to do?
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)
    4) Punto 1.3 Active (54000 kms Sold)
    5) Renault Kwid 1.0 EASY-R (New Arrival)

View My Garage

Re: The ICE Dilemma

I think you will have to read the warranty clauses to be sure. Please note that guys at the FASS themselves would not have read it. I am sure they will not give you in writing what they claim.

You may check some points on warranty on this link.
    http://www.motorbeam.com/2014/01/tip...rers-warranty/
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Thanks Neelay. Time to get that Owner's manual / warranty book out and read. In the meanwhile I bought a few blank CDs :-).

What I wonder though is why does not the Dealership think about adding these services? I have seen Maruti Dealers stocking up speakers and Head Units to be fitted on the cars they sell. Surely you make the customer happy and also earn some money out of it.

Surely, I don't even need another company's Head Unit. They could fit in something from the older Emotion or Dynamic with a USB option. Right? No. They won't as much fit in fog lamps or a rear wiper, leave alone a music system upgrade. Why? [This is just a rant and does not need reply on this thread! If you do have ideas of what could be the best solution I have, do respond!]
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)

View My Garage

I think the maruti dealer will tell you that he will honour the warranty only if you buy and install the stuff from his dealership only.
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

D.L.
    View My Garage

@Vijethcm, maintain a good rapport with the SAs and manage to never piss them off. I am suggesting you to go for a HU upgrade, anything you like with a USB, or intermediate or audiophile depending on your budget, taste, liking. Make sure you dont splice exisiting wiring. Get a good installer who can manage things without splicing a single wire, might involve laying some more separate wiring for the speakers (or amps should you choose to). Keep the OEM headunit safe in a bubble wrap and a cardboard box somewhere safe you could use it later in case there are some warranty issues, where dealer/company might want to escape liability. If everything is done properly there is no reason anything should be remotely damaged due to aftermarket headunit install.

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Hi asimpleson. Thank you.

The first part of your advise - "maintain a good rapport with the SAs" - there is little I think which I can do on this! [I've pissed off a few of them already]. The rest I will keep in mind as and when I decide to upgrade. I am indeed worried about manhandling of the car and splicing of wires which I see people normally do in many of those shops. Will look for a professional installer when I choose to go for the replacement; for now I wrote a few CDs and enjoying the new songs.
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Well. What I haven't updated in my previous threads is that I found a decent solution to the dilemma mentioned earlier. I risked a thousand INR to buy this product MAX BT FM Transmitter about December 2015.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_35.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	11599

Product Name: MAX BT FM Transmitter
    Bought on: Amazon
    Price: About INR 1120 (all inclusive)

The player is still working (Touch Wood!) after about 8 months and worth the thousand I spent. On the performance of the product:

The product plays via USB & Bluetooth (connects to your Bluetooth phone). You can stream music, receive calls, and charge your phone (I have used this feature less than a handful times as I fear it might blow the fuse).

The quality of the music streamed is acceptable. If the phone has a good media player, your ICE will sound better than your stock HU on the pre-Evo models. You can toggle between songs using the + or - key on the device itself. You cannot shuffle songs on USB though - it will play sequentially.

The product has been worth the life alone and has given me the flexibility to changes songs at will and receive those calls (from wife ;-) when on the move to the extent it is not a lengthy conversation; I pull over if the calls are expected to take longer. I am using Jet Audio player on my android for quality rendering.

Signing off and hope some of those Active or Dynamic Punto users who are still sticking on to their Stock CD/FM head units get a chance to overcome their compromise!

Vijeth
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)

View My Garage

Thanks for sharing this, Vijeth. Somehow i didnt understand the way it connects to listen music as i see it connects to the charging point.
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Hi Rudrah

Indeded I think I did not mention clearly. Here is what it does:
    1. Plug the device into the charging point. Device displays FM transmirting frequency.
    2. Switch on the Head Unit and tune to the frequency displayed by the device. The HU can now receive FM transmission from the device.
    3. If you plug un USB to the device and click on Play button - it transmits music via FM and plays via HU.
    4. For phones - switch on the bluetooth and pair it with the device. Now any call or music via the phone is transmitted via FM and played by the HU. The phone should have bluetooth streaming as an option.
    5. Phone can be connected via Aux cable as well to the device but I found it buggy.

Hope it is now good!

Regards

Vijeth

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vijethcm View Post
    Hi Rudrah

Indeded I think I did not mention clearly. Here is what it does:
    1. Plug the device into the charging point. Device displays FM transmirting frequency.
    2. Switch on the Head Unit and tune to the frequency displayed by the device. The HU can now receive FM transmission from the device.
    3. If you plug un USB to the device and click on Play button - it transmits music via FM and plays via HU.
    4. For phones - switch on the bluetooth and pair it with the device. Now any call or music via the phone is transmitted via FM and played by the HU. The phone should have bluetooth streaming as an option.
    5. Phone can be connected via Aux cable as well to the device but I found it buggy.

Hope it is now good!

Regards

Vijeth
    Thanks bro, got it Very much handy one..
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!

View My Garage

Thanks Vijeth,
    i ma not much of an audiophile, so the ease of playing songs through USB and Mobile phone is a better prospect for me, i have tried those cheap FM modulators earlier and was not satishfied with its performance, will try this product out. Surely we base model users need something to upgrade to. I have found out, that even if we change the Head unit to an aftermarket one without splicing any of the wires, the electrical warranty remains intact. This was confirmed by Torrid Fiat, Fiat dealer in the past and FASS at present. I also found out that Fascia plates are available to bridge the gap between the after market HU and the centre dash, these fascia plates also helps the aftermarket HU to blend into the Dashboard and does not looks like out of the planet.

Hrushikesh.

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Hi Hrushikesh

Changing to a aftermarket HU is indeed a good option if you can find an installer who can keep the wires and dashboard intact. And of course willingness to spend a few big ones considering the remaining life of the car.

All the best for whichever way you choose to upgrade!

Vijeth

View My Garage

One of our member on our Forum FB group had changed the headunit to a touchscreen type if i'm not wrong. It was perfect finish job. Need to dig out that post.

View My Garage

Someone on MFW FB group posted something related to this..not sure if this is helpful