Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: So the Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX decides to stay back!

Competition Licence prabuddhadg's Avatar
    View My Garage

Re: So the Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX decides to stay back!

Hi Abhijeet. You are right. This is Charkop Sector 8.

Well I have no plans of selling this car.

I know its a completely illogical thing for me to do. I am the only driver in the house and we have a Tjet and this Petra. In fact I had initially planned on selling it. But the offers I got did not exceed a lac. I thought I would sell this superb car, get some cash that I would spend in a few weeks, and then? Would I not regret not having it around?

So I spent quite a bit of cash and got the seats done and the body repainted. It is also mechanically sound. BTW, after looking everywhere for the electrically operated outside mirrors, I finally bought a pair from Ebay UK (from a seller in Germany who stocked these mirrors made in Spain). The mirrors are meant for left hand drive cars, but I am fine with that. It works just fine.

So, to summarise again, Abhijeet, no, no plans to sell.

D.L.
    View My Garage

Dear Prabuddha,

Very nice post & the newly Painted Petra looks neat. Its very inspiring to see your persuasion in getting the mirrors to preserve the originality.
    Also the trouble in getting the steering wheel...[luck favors the brave ]
    The Petras/Siennas/Unos/Palios are in a different league.

Best of Luck....
    Jeetu
    Palio Stile 1.3 MJD
    Palio Adventure 1.6

View My Garage

Hi Jeetu,

Thanks for those kind words. A clean and shiny car that runs smoothly is something I have always striven for, though I must admit I have been more focussed on it being mechanically sound rather than shiny. This is the first time in 10 years that I got the Petra repainted all over.

I got the mirrors mostly because I am supremely lazy and I hate leaning over all the way to adjust the left mirror when I park in a tight spot or near a low object.

Regarding the steering wheel I am still looking (though just as lazily as usual) for someone who will stitch a leather cover for my old steering wheel. Basically the one Mr Deshmukh gave me is old and not in top shape.

I agree these old Fiats are hugely engaging to drive. Your Adventure would be right up there on that list.

D.L.
    View My Garage

Hi Prabuddha,

Absolutely spot on...the Adventure with independent rear suspension gives a very different feel.

I think I can help you with the steering cover. http://www.hidenation.com/#!/page_Portfolio and click on 'Accessories'
    They also do a pure leather steering cover. The representative for Pune is Mr. Vishwanath. M +91 95033 30395
    Haven't checked the price.
    Just check if he takes care of Mumbai or he will guide you accordingly.

Hope it goes well.

Cheers......

View My Garage

Finally, the time has come. I have been managing to look after the Petra and drive it regularly. However, since I got the Linea Tjet remapped, its performance and even very low end torque has improved. So, I have generally been very satisfied with the Linea and the Petra seems to have become a tad bit less attractive. Plus, I am the only one in the family who drives.

So, I have decided to let the Petra go. I have driven it for almost 13 years and over 119000 km. Its been a wonderful experience.