Thread: North Karnataka - the beautiful Badami and Pattadakallu

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

North Karnataka - the beautiful Badami and Pattadakallu

The stress of life was getting to me when suddenly one evening (Aug 11th) I told my wife that we'll go for a long trip. I made the hotel booking at Gadag immediately and on 12th Morning we left to Gadag which would be our base. Took a total of roughly 11 hours for a drive of about 450 Kms from Hyderabad. Slightly bad roads and extend pit stops for the family kept the clock ticking. Actual Driving time was about 8.5 hours - par for course considering the state of roads.

From Hyderabad you have to first go to Mahboobnagar & then Raichur. I missed the bypass road near Raichur and almost entered the town to delay my drive further. The roads around Raichur are quite bad. And the moment you enter Karnataka, you will find a speed breaker every 100 meters if you are driving through a highway-side village. From Raichur went towards Sindhnur, Gangavati, and Gadag finally. Roads were largely maximum of two-lane State Highways, sometimes not more than 40 feet in width. There were a few craters, too. Punto gracefully glided over the roads.

At Gadag: Stayed at Keshav's Clarks Inn. Initial idea was to stay at Hubli Clark's Inn. I've stayed there earlier and was the best bet for family. So when I came to know that they have opened a hotel at Gadag, I took it for two reasons - Cost & proximity to the visiting sites. I spoke to Ajay Kumar - the manager at the Hotel (know him from 2010 at Hubli Clark's Inn) who promptly booked my room. This is a typically 2/3 Star Accommodation and the best you will find at Gadag. Restaurant serves good food and spread is decent. Buffet Breakfast is very limited and was not totally up to the mark. I guess they will improve. Rooms are also quite decent. I had trouble getting hot water in the room and got shifted to a higher floor to get a better hot water supply. A design flaw I suppose.

Day 2: Aihole - From Gadag this place is about 70kms away. Not too much except a few temples in ruins and a typical archeological museum. You have to travel towards Badami (Via Ron) and then take a diversion about 8 kms before Badami. Roads here are strictly single lane once you take the diversion. First pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	8501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.jpg 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	8502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.jpg 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	8503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	8504

Day 2: Pattadakallu: ABout 10 kms before Aihole - A more beautiful place. With lot of historical monuments.

Name:	049.jpg 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	8505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	047.jpg 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	8506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	050.jpg 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	8507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052.jpg 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	8508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	058.jpg 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	8509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	061.jpg 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	8510Click image for larger version. 

Name:	062.jpg 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	8511Click image for larger version. 

Name:	067.jpg 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	8512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	082.jpg 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	8513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	086.jpg 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	8514

Day 3: Badami - since we started late on Day 2, we could not cover Badami. Good that we did not. This place has two separate hillocks with monuments and you need at least 4 hours to cover everything. Not to mention the energy to climb up some steep steps. There are some good cave temple carvings.

Name:	091.jpg 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	8515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	109.jpg 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	8516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	114.jpg 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	8517Click image for larger version. 

Name:	115.jpg 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	8518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140814_143055.jpg 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	8519Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140814_143325.jpg 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	8520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140814_143331.jpg 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	8521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140814_143443.jpg 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	8522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140814_143700.jpg 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	8523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140814_145357.jpg 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	8524

Day 4: It was a trip back to Hyderabad since we didn't want to drive to Hampi and come back. I took a different route hoping for some better roads (through Gajendragarh). Halted to buy some Mishra Peda and the shopkeeper asked me to take the route via Kushtagi & not ILkal. Mistake! Not sure if I missed some trick or was purely mislead by the GPS. I took a right from the National Highway to connect to a SH. Highway it is not even for the Horses. First few kilometers was on a asphalted road; then for a few kilometers was through gravel but roads did exist. Then the nightmare of driving through about 25 to 30kms of craters - really didn't know it would be so much. The belly scraped three, four, maybe five times. Average speed came down to less than 30kmph. This stretch took nearly 1.5 hours I think. at least 1 hour. Then once I did hit the Lingasugur Raichur highway, I pushed down the pedal. Just after I entered Telangana Border a chicken ran across the road to hit my car and blew off the Tow Hook cap and left a minor crack in the bumper. Apart from this again lost my way (I'm an expert at this) while entering the ORR at Hyderabad and did two rounds before hitting ORR. Yet, the journey time was lesser this time. The drive back was slightly exhausting but I think some of the snaps reveal how beautiful the trip was!

Cheers!
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)
    4) Punto 1.3 Active (54000 kms Sold)
    5) Renault Kwid 1.0 EASY-R (New Arrival)

View My Garage

Re: North Karnataka - the beautiful Badami and Pattadakallu

Thanks for sharing this travelogue Vijeth

I love to experience different cultures, arts, food and scenery so this was a sight for sore eyes.

I am glad to see that some of the rock carvings are still holding good and I wish that all Indians care for their rich ancient history as treasure trove which needs to be nurtured for the generations to come.

I always feel disappointed that the invaders of the past plundered this rich country but even now the country's rich heritage is plundered by local tourists (more than foreign tourists) by taking away personal trophies from such places or carving their names in the rocks and stones. What a shame and I hope we really change this mindset from our generation and pass it on to the next generation.
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes

View My Garage

Wow Vijeth, nice travel log and pictures, you have written this travel log right on time, its like just for me my family too planning to go to Badami, Hampi for Diwali vacation and your travel log is boon for us. I might call/trouble you if we decided to go ahead with this place.

i am happy to see that our historical monuments are kept nicely in Karnataka, which is missing in Maharashtra state...

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Sure GB. Happy to help. Let me know when you are planning to go and we can connect :-).
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    I love to experience different cultures, arts, food and scenery so this was a sight for sore eyes.

I am glad to see that some of the rock carvings are still holding good and I wish that all Indians care for their rich ancient history as treasure trove which needs to be nurtured for the generations to come.

I always feel disappointed that the invaders of the past plundered this rich country but even now the country's rich heritage is plundered by local tourists (more than foreign tourists) by taking away personal trophies from such places or carving their names in the rocks and stones. What a shame and I hope we really change this mindset from our generation and pass it on to the next generation.
    Sid. I cannot differ from what you have mentioned here. It is really painful on how the rich architecture and cultural heritage is literally being plundered and washed down the drains. Badami was no different. So wee the other two places. Not to mention the gross neglect of facilities provided by the Government. I think all we can do is teach our kids and set a good example with a hope that others follow suit.

ALso nice to know about your interests. If I had known my interest before College I would've tried my luck in NDTV Good Times :-). Jokes apart I like travelling and exploring different cultures and food (veggie!) and the natural beauties. I think we should plan for a road trip sometime!

Cheers!
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vijethcm View Post
    Jokes apart I like travelling and exploring different cultures and food (veggie!) and the natural beauties. I think we should plan for a road trip sometime! Cheers!
    MFW already has an all-India road-trip planned for the first week of November.

Will surely let you know if something else can be planned and we can do it together
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes

View My Garage

Brilliant write up, Vijeth

Have always been fascinated with our rock sculptures. What an art, hats off those who spent their life making such for ages and ages to remember!

These are the pride of our Country and we should take care to preserve it. Unfortunately the Govt does not give much focus to preserve on timely basis which kills it to extinction. Lets hope the new initiative taken by the current Govt "Swachh Bharat or Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (Campaign Clean India)" also helps to preserver our beauties and culture for the future generation.

Thanks for sharing this travelogue and pictures with us.

Cheers~
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

Nice pics of the visit. Surprising that there are hardly any tourists in your snaps. Its best to visit places when the crowd is thin. Karnataka is really beautiful.
    I believe things have improved at tourist and heritage sites with regular guards posted. Also with the fact that the tourists bring much needed cash and the foreign ones the foreign currency.
    As Subodh rightly pointed out that its the local tourists who treat these places with disrespect. I always ensure that while visiting a tourist place I always use the dustbin. If one is not available i carry it to the hotel room in a plastic bag and then dispose it. I also drive extremely slow while passing a village we have to take care of their safety as they have the first right to their surroundings and we have to respect that.
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

View My Garage

Good pics and nice travelogue.
    @Neelay- you always drive slow in village as well as city.
    FIAT USERS-Confidence is what you have when you don't really understand the situation.
    SANJEEV HARIKANT
    PALIO 1.2NV SPORTS(NOT YET SOLD)
    PALIO 1.3SDX MULTIJET(NOT YET SOLD)-DRIVING A JET ON INDIAN ROADS
    SIENA 1.2ELPS(NOT YET SOLD)
    FIAT 1100(NOT YET SOLD)
    VESPA 125(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA FZ16(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA R15 VER1(NOT YET SOLD)

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Hi Neelay.. this is really thoughtful. Even I do almost everything what you say you do.... respect the place, the surroundings, carry the waste to the car and then to the Hotel, even when people insisted that I discard waste into a gutter.. almost everytime. Only one thing I did not like earlier was to go slow. But now I tell myself that the villagers have their first rights... though I do get irritated when people driving their vehicles resemble a snail or an elephant walking :-). Once I nearly knocked out an old lady who instead of walking on the footpath chose to walk on the road and I had to avoid an oncoming Sumo in my friend's weak-braked M800. From then I drive slow inside a Village.

And yeah... I visited during the Monsoon so there were lesser tourists. I like it that way too! And then, Karnataka is really really beautiful during Monsoons. With the monsoon clouds in the backdrop lot of places look gorgeous!
    Vijeth
    1) Yamaha RXG (Sold)
    2) Tata Nano (Sold)
    3) Palio NV 1.2 (Sold)

D.L.
    View My Garage

Its Wonderful location in India, This post very useful before traveling to North Karnataka - the beautiful Badami and Pattadakallu