Thread: All Subjects - Incubator and Miscellaneous Sections Explained!

View My Garage

Lightbulb All Subjects - Incubator and Miscellaneous Sections Explained!

The forum always had a residuary section called the "All Subjects - Incubator". Its description said it all "Post about anything here. Marshals will move it to the relevant Forum / Sub Forums". If members were unsure of which section of the forum a certain thread was to go, they could simply start the thread in the Incubator and the marshals would move it to its designated section.

Now, however, the description of the Incubator Section is altered and we also have a new residuary Section called the "All Subjects - Miscellaeous". Following are the intended purposes of the two sections:

1] All Subjects - Incubator

Lengthy, detailed threads such test drive and initial ownership reports, certain tech threads, travelogues, meet reports, etc require some effort on the part of the thread composer and patience on the part of the readers. In our busy lives, it does get difficult to compose entire threads in a single sitting. At times, the thread composer may take a few days or even weeks to compose his / her thread plainly due to the lack of sufficient time. Then there is also the added task of interspersing the thread with pictures to compliment the write up.

Thus, while composing a lovely write up can be a self rewarding and satisfying experience, composing certain long threads requires the right mind set to be able to focus on the details with regards to the various facets of the write up.

Further, when a write up takes more days than one to complete, some thread starters like the fact that their posts get encouraging comments from fellow members before they can continue with their write up. After all, who wouldn't like a 'Pressing the F5 / Page Refresh button for the next post" comment?

However, certain thread posters do prefer that their flow of information and continuity in posts remains intact before fellow members get to see and comment on their thread. Some might find that visually more appealing as well. It is with such members in mind that we started contemplating on a separate section dedicated to creating threads in privacy. Forum member PaddleShifter's feedback in this regard really pushed us to give it a serious thought!

As its description goes, the "All Subjects - Incubator" is meant for those who wish to create their reviews, travelogues, meet reports, etc in privacy. Following are the features of this private section:

- All members are entitled to create threads and posts in the Incubator;

- There is a time limit of 45 minutes to Edit posts or even Delete the relevant posts after composing them. Marshals can be approached to take the necessary action with regards to the post(s) beyond the stipulated time;

- Members will not be able to see any other threads that are being created by fellow members in the Incubator Section. Only Marshals have visibility permissions in the Incubator in order to assist thread owners;

- Once the write up is composed, thread owners can either approach Marshals by sending a PM or post their last reply on that thread mentioning "Thread complete. Please move this to the _________ section".

Again, the Incubator section is a choice that is given to our members. Members can very well continue posting and composing new threads directly in the relelvant sections of the forum if they wish to.

2] All Subjects - Miscellaneous

The description given to the 'erstwhile' Incubator Section is now given to this new section. If a member is unsure of where a thread should go on the forum, please do post it in this section and it will be moved to its rightful destination on the forum.

We hope that these two sections on the forum help in improving user experience!

Thanks again PaddleShifter
    Last edited by roms; 23-09-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee - Sold
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

View My Garage

Re: All Subjects - Incubator and Miscellaneous Sections Explained!

- There is a time limit of 45 minutes to Edit posts or even Delete the relevant posts after composing them. Marshals can be approached to take the necessary action with regards to the post(s) beyond the stipulated time;
    All members posting in the Incubator Section now get even more freedom to post in privacy!

The time limit of 45 minutes to edit and / or delete your posts in the Incubator Section is done away with altogether. Thus, you can now alter or delete your posts at any given point in time in the Incubator Section and you no longer require Marshals to edit your posts.

The said ability to edit/delete posts without any time restriction is available to all members levels - from L.L.R level to Seeded Drivers

We hope the added convenience helps our members in penning their threads in complete privacy. However, please do not keep us waiting too long for that perfectly scripted thread!
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee - Sold

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roms View Post
    However, certain thread posters do prefer that their flow of information and continuity in posts remains intact before fellow members get to see and comment on their thread. Some might find that visually more appealing as well. It is with such members in mind that we started contemplating on a separate section dedicated to creating threads in privacy. Forum member PaddleShifter's feedback in this regard really pushed us to give it a serious thought!
    Hey I thought i had told you about allowing people to build up the thread and allowing only viewing and allow comments only after a final publish.
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by neelay2709 View Post
    Hey I thought i had told you about allowing people to build up the thread and allowing only viewing and allow comments only after a final publish.
    Yes Neelay, and I remember that your suggestion worked out well when I was drafting the Punto EVO TD thread .

However, there is a practical limitation here. Only Moderators can lock threads and continue posting on any thread. Thus, once a member's thread is locked, the thread owner himself will not be able to post further on the said thread, unless the thread is opened for posting again. And opening the thread would allow everyone to post on that thread.

Unfortunately, the vBulletin forums do not allow exceptions where we allow only the thread poster to continue posting on a locked thread. So the only option was to open a new section for building threads in privacy, one where members cannot view threads other than those started by them alone.

View My Garage

It is worthwhile to mention that with this change the following will happen:

1) Competition License members and Seeded Drivers will be able to edit their older posts in different sections of the forum without any time limits.
    2) All other members can edit/delete their posts only in the Incubator without any time limits

Hope this clarifies
    Last edited by roms; 22-11-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes