Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Basic guide to the In Car Entertainment (ICE) system

View My Garage

Re: Basic guide to the In Car Entertainment (ICE) system

Quote Originally Posted by Finney View Post
    As suggested, will get Pioneer HU, for speakers it should be JBL mostly, however will visit a Audio shop & listen to the speakers of brands you mentioned & decide.
    Finney - Did you get the ICE upgrade done? Somehow I missed this post but when I got my Palio 1.6 in 2008, I had the same combination of Pioneer HU and JBL speakers. It is still rocking to this date. JBLs are pretty good with their bass output but lose out on the details in the low range. Focals have much better range and I have these for my TJet.
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by adityaprashar View Post
    Problem: The original HU has only CD and FM options. I am planning to upgrade HU to get AUX, Bluetooth features and enhance music quality as currently it’s too bad. I tried checking with various mechanics to get Aux port enable but not succeed because its locked from company. Finally, I made up my mind to enhance or change the music player and other related stuff.

I am thinking to go for one of the below options. Request you to please validate for which I should go for (I love to enjoy music at more than decent quality )
    If you want AUX/Bluetooth/USB port, trust me whenI say that you need to replace the head unit (HU).
    By the way, I am not sure about the bluetooth adapter you are talking about in the options below. There used to be a Bluetooth adapter from Blaupunkt that worked with 2009 models of Blaupunkt HUs.

Request you to also please suggest brand and model numbers of components as per your experience.

Option 1:

1. Original HU
    2. A Bluetooth adapter which can plug in with cigarette placeholder (I am not sure whether this type of device will generate high quality music or low quality music)
    3. Crossover Components 6.5” for Front Doors
    4. Coaxial Speakers 6.5” for Rear Doors
    5. Amplifier
    6. Damp mat (I got to know this by reading your article but not sure if I would be installing it or not)

Option 2:

1. Get a new HU with all the latest features (I do not need CD/DVD slot)
    2. Crossover Components 6.5” for Front Doors
    3. Coaxial Speakers 6.5” for Rear Doors
    4. Amplifier 4 or 6 channel
    5. Damp mat (I got to know this by reading your article but not sure if I would be installing it or not)
    If I were you, I would pick option 2 with eyes closed. The only con is that factory fitted HU looks good and chances of its theft are minimal. But other than that, there is no looking back.

You can even skip amplifier to begin with in case you are a casual listener and do not want too many wires running under the carpet. It can always be added later. Amplifier does add lots of quality to the audio but changing the stock HU and speakers alone makes the sound x100 better than factory sound.

Regarding damping (not Damp Mat), its like a good quality SMPS in a desktop PC. One knows its merits only after using it for a few weeks. I do not wish to force a recommendation of Dampmat as there are lots of options at both lower as well as higher price ranges. There are damping materials available in the market from Dynamat, Damp Mat, Stinger roadkill, noise kill, etc etc. I am using Damp Mat and I am very happy with the outcome.

The component speakers that I am using are JBL GTO609c. They offer the kind of music that I like. Please have a listen to the speakers in a shop on a free day. I have listed a few speakers in my last post above few weeks back.

D.L.
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
    If you want AUX/Bluetooth/USB port, trust me whenI say that you need to replace the head unit (HU).
    By the way, I am not sure about the bluetooth adapter you are talking about in the options below. There used to be a Bluetooth adapter from Blaupunkt that worked with 2009 models of Blaupunkt HUs.

If I were you, I would pick option 2 with eyes closed. The only con is that factory fitted HU looks good and chances of its theft are minimal. But other than that, there is no looking back.

You can even skip amplifier to begin with in case you are a casual listener and do not want too many wires running under the carpet. It can always be added later. Amplifier does add lots of quality to the audio but changing the stock HU and speakers alone makes the sound x100 better than factory sound.

Regarding damping (not Damp Mat), its like a good quality SMPS in a desktop PC. One knows its merits only after using it for a few weeks. I do not wish to force a recommendation of Dampmat as there are lots of options at both lower as well as higher price ranges. There are damping materials available in the market from Dynamat, Damp Mat, Stinger roadkill, noise kill, etc etc. I am using Damp Mat and I am very happy with the outcome.

The component speakers that I am using are JBL GTO609c. They offer the kind of music that I like. Please have a listen to the speakers in a shop on a free day. I have listed a few speakers in my last post above few weeks back.
    Thanks a lot for providing your point of view.

Reason why I am thinking for option 1 because I did not want to lose the beauty of original HU and someone told me that there are Bluetooth adapter available in market (you are right , it’s a question that will work with this model of original HU or not)

I Would be great full if you may answer few more queries:

1. Which HU Brand you recommend with in decent range? I see Alpine/ Pioneer/ Sony / JVC / Blaupunkt with versatile price range and confused what to get?
    Reason for confusion is all the brands have similar features but price range is huge e.g. Sony is in decent price range but Blaupunkt is very high range.

2. Is it mandatory to install Crossover Components 6.5” for Front Doors and Coaxial Speakers 6.5” for Rear Doors?
    Can I have Crossover Components 6.5” for all the doors to get much better quality (does it make sense? )

3. Is it true that Amplifier and Sub Woofers should install together?

View My Garage

1. Which HU Brand you recommend with in decent range? I see Alpine/ Pioneer/ Sony / JVC / Blaupunkt with versatile price range and confused what to get?
    Reason for confusion is all the brands have similar features but price range is huge e.g. Sony is in decent price range but Blaupunkt is very high range.
    Regarding brand, my favourite is Pioneer. Reasons:
    - I am not a hardcore music listener so do not go too much into pros and cons of various HUs. Still even for the most serious audiophiles, Pioneer does make a very good HU in the name of 80PR series. But some of my friends call today's Pioneers as "China ka maal" and prefer Kenwood, JVC etc. Be advised that the best quality of a good HU is only brought out if you add equally good quality speakers etc.
    - Finding steering mounted remote for Pioneer is very easy an costs some Rs1200-1500. I prefer to have steering mounted controls so Pioneer is my only option as remote of other brands are not available in Chandigarh. By the way, generic IR steering remotes are also available that work with all brands but feedback suggests that OEM (Pioneer, JVC etc) are the best.

You can find good HUs in 4k-6k range with 2 RCA pre-outs for better amplifier support.

2. Is it mandatory to install Crossover Components 6.5” for Front Doors and Coaxial Speakers 6.5” for Rear Doors?
    Can I have Crossover Components 6.5” for all the doors to get much better quality (does it make sense? )
    You can have component speakers in all four doors but in simple terms, your ears will be too close to the tweeter placed in the rear door. The advantage of component over co-axial is mainly that you can place the tweeters at a separate location in contrast to a co-axial where woofer cone and tweeter are integrated into a single unit. So, mounting component in the front only is the best idea.

3. Is it true that Amplifier and Sub Woofers should install together?
    No. I have not heard this before from anyone. I would prefer if someone having good first hand experience may comment. Basically you can not install sub woofer without amplifier so yes they will install together. :D But you add subwoofer to an amplifier at any time later.

P.S.- Are you the same Aditya Prashar who once met me at a Fiat service centre in Chandigarh? We have talked a few times on phone and at teamfiat.com also regarding AUX wire support in 2011 models. Phone number ending with 8455. Reason I ask is because you sound quite formal while interacting here.
    Last edited by PaddleShifter; 10-04-2015 at 11:47 PM. Reason: added 1 line in second point

D.L.
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
    Regarding brand, my favourite is Pioneer. Reasons:
    - I am not a hardcore music listener so do not go too much into pros and cons of various HUs. Still even for the most serious audiophiles, Pioneer does make a very good HU in the name of 80PR series. But some of my friends call today's Pioneers as "China ka maal" and prefer Kenwood, JVC etc. Be advised that the best quality of a good HU is only brought out if you add equally good quality speakers etc.
    - Finding steering mounted remote for Pioneer is very easy an costs some Rs1200-1500. I prefer to have steering mounted controls so Pioneer is my only option as remote of other brands are not available in Chandigarh. By the way, generic IR steering remotes are also available that work with all brands but feedback suggests that OEM (Pioneer, JVC etc) are the best.

You can find good HUs in 4k-6k range with 2 RCA pre-outs for better amplifier support.

You can have component speakers in all four doors but in simple terms, your ears will be too close to the tweeter placed in the rear door. The advantage of component over co-axial is mainly that you can place the tweeters at a separate location in contrast to a co-axial where woofer cone and tweeter are integrated into a single unit. So, mounting component in the front only is the best idea.

No. I have not heard this before from anyone. I would prefer if someone having good first hand experience may comment. Basically you can not install sub woofer without amplifier so yes they will install together. :D But you add subwoofer to an amplifier at any time later.

P.S.- Are you the same Aditya Prashar who once met me at a Fiat service centre in Chandigarh? We have talked a few times on phone and at teamfiat.com also regarding AUX wire support in 2011 models. Phone number ending with 8455. Reason I ask is because you sound quite formal while interacting here.
    Hi
    yes i am Aditya Prashar. We never met but we had a discussion over whatsapp group Regarding aux at that time. I searched alot for adding atleast aux in HU but not succeed.
    Now i planned to upgrade and came across your articel.

Thanks for your comments. I today visited few shops and tommorow ill also check more and ill share my experience n views.

View My Garage

Can someone let me know the size of speaker will fit in Palio S10.

There is provision to fit speakers near parcel tray.

I dont want to cut the parcel tray of my Palio.
    Punter

FIAT Palio Adventure 1.6
    FIAT Palio S10
    TVS Apache RTR160

View My Garage

A co axial spear of 6" x 9" can fit but the weight will not be handled by the stock parcel tray. For speakers on rear better to go for MDF board.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

I dont want to put speakers in parcel no matter if it is MDF particle board or OEM.

There is provision in Palio to fit speaker near parcel tray and I am ok with the small size speakers.

Can some please share the options available in 5" speakers in market.
    Punter

FIAT Palio Adventure 1.6
    FIAT Palio S10
    TVS Apache RTR160

Competition Licence prabuddhadg's Avatar
    View My Garage

This is almost off topic. I listen to flac files played from my portable music player. It sounds very nice, and anyway, the Linea audio system does not recognise flac files. As a result, my option is the aux in.

While this seems to be a simple set up, I keep facing the problem of the aux cable getting damaged. In a couple of months of getting a new aux cable, I end up losing sound in any one channel of the stereo. I have tried cheap cables, I have tried more expensive cables, but I end up with the same outcome each time. So, is there a particular brand that one of you can suggest that is known to be strong. I confirm that I do not misuse the cables. I don't even let the cable hang from the aux-in jack overnight (which might cause the cable's weight to cause a break in the wires inside).

So, I guess I need higher quality cables. Which ones, is the question.

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
    So, I guess I need higher quality cables. Which ones, is the question.
    I have damaged a few AUX cables in my Palio connected to a Pioneer headset and I have the same issue.
    The quality of the sound is not that great at all.

So anyone has experience with AUX cables which really provide a very good sound input to the head unit?
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes

View My Garage

Hi Prabuddha

I have a Capdase Aux-In cable since the past 3 years and use it regularly to play videos and music from my phone. It has held up really well so far, no deterioration of sound quality or loose connection as such, guess you could give it a try.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee - Sold
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

D.L.
    View My Garage

Hi
    yes i am Aditya Prashar. We never met but we had a discussion over whatsapp group Regarding aux at that time. I searched alot for adding atleast aux in HU but not succeed.
    Now i planned to upgrade and came across your articel.

Thanks for your comments. I today visited few shops and tommorow ill also check more and ill share my experience n views.

Hi All,

Based on our earlier discussion;

1. I finalized head unit for ICE : JVC Cd Receiver KD-R862BT – Rs.6500
    2. I need opinion for component speakers. Although I am more inclined towards JBL CX-650CSI (Rs.6000) but also like to consider Rockford Punch Component P1675-S (Rs.6300). I personally do not know Rockford brand.

Please share your mandate on following points:

• Is there any significant difference in performance of JBL CX-650CSI vs Rockford Punch Component P1675-S?
    • As price looks same for which one I should go for?

View My Garage

In regards to JBL, all I can say they are bright to ears. Performance would be good. Some people like that some like laid back sound. Rockford is also a preferred brand in Fords if I'm not wrong. They are not as bright as JBL.
    What I would suggest you is play the speakers back to back with same music song in closed doors so you'll get an idea which one suits you better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

Competition Licence prabuddhadg's Avatar
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roms View Post
    Hi Prabuddha

I have a Capdase Aux-In cable since the past 3 years and use it regularly to play videos and music from my phone. It has held up really well so far, no deterioration of sound quality or loose connection as such, guess you could give it a try.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/181601516775...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks Romil, though I have just bought the above cable. I shall try the Capdase cable if and when this one goes.

View My Garage

Changed the ICE on my Palio 1.6 Sports two weeks back.

HU : Pioneer DEH-X1790UB (CD player with USB & Aux-in)
    Front Speaker : Component - Blaupunkt GT Power 54.2c (240W)
    Rear Speaker : Oval Co-axial - Blaupunkt Blue Magic QL 690 (300W)

The system sounds pretty good for a casual music listener like me.
    Was tempted to go for JBL GT speakers, but the budget held me back..

One small issue, I feel the front components sound bit less than the rear co-axials.
    Am trying to tweak the Fader setting to balance the same, any other option to rectify this?
    Once a FIATian, always a FIATian!
    2004 - Fiat Palio 1.2 NV - Silver Frost
    2006 - Fiat Palio 1.6 Sports - Canary Yellow (Preowned)
    2014 - Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion - Tuscan Wine