Thread: Emergency Braking....... your thoughts please

Marshal
    View My Garage

Emergency Braking....... your thoughts please

Team,

I did a long drive--Bangalore--Thanjavur--Bangalore over the last weekend covering about 1000kms. I always have a early morning start to beat the traffic and getting out of Bangalore is a breeze. Covered a distance of 420 kms in less than 7 hrs.

With the MJD, on a divided highway, my cruising speed is between 100-120kmph (well, the MJD refuses to go slower ), depending on traffic and conditions tho. As I was nearing Salem, I was about to overtake a truck which was on the left lane. Behind this truck was a ancient looking Matador goods carrier (mini truck/ van). I did use the horn to indicate my intentions to overtake the truck when all of a sudden the Matador decides to overtake the truck and enters the right lane with me about to pass......

Well, I lived to tell the story, the brakes worked with a lot of screeching and burnt rubber and the car moved a few inches towards the divider, my heart skipped a beat or 2, but thankfully no damage done. The Yoko A drives have done about 30k kms, has quite some rubber and grooves left and the Palio's brakes have never failed me.

Some queries:
    1. What is the best technique for such emergency braking (I could not think of pumping the brakes or downshifting as there was no time to react).
    2. I could feel the marginal drift/ skid when I applied the brakes but the car stood its ground and did not swerve. I held the steering firm tho. Cant imagine the consequences if I were in a light car.
    3. Any brake/ alignment related components to be checked/ replaced after the harsh braking.
    4. I am on a new set of rotors and brake pads and I guess this saved the day for me.

Any pointers are most welcome!!

View My Garage

Re: Emergency Braking....... your thoughts please

Hi Doc,

I think most of us here would have done what you did. Downshifting could have been the other possible option but it depends on how much time you had to do that and since you mentioned this part already, looks like this was not an option for you at that time.

Since you mention that you are on new rotors and brake pads, I don't think you did any damage. They are designed to withstand such pressures occasionally. A proactive urgent braking exercise can help you to check if they braking is still the same for you as it was before the incident. I doubt the brake pads would be much impacted here.

Also do a cursory visual check on the tyres and you should be fine if everything looks OK there.
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes

D.L.
    View My Garage

My two bits first gear then brake . Practice this while you drive around city in corners . With practice you will also learn that sometime you can turn without braking if you are in the correct path and at the apex you can throttle and zoom .Actually gear and brake gives you more control .and most importantly never declutch while braking . I mean that your leg off the clutch pedal while u start to brake . I don't know if I have conveyed properly ,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D.L.
    View My Garage

Also it is the nature of matadors to behave like morons on a highways --lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L.Lr.
    View My Garage

Two years ago I faced the similar situation while travelling back from Ahmadabad in my 2002 Palio (without power steering). It was around 7:30pm in evening and I was travelling at a steady speed of 90kmph. Being a GJ highway I was extra cautious as the GJ drivers are very rash. At one point of time I was over taking a truck before a small bridge and suddendly the driver changed the lane and came towards me. Thanks to Almighty Allah, my reflexes that I pulled into 3rd and at the same time pumped brakes twice to make the car to a screeching halt. There was a thick smoke of burning rubber as the tyres were hardly 800kms used at front. I was saved by cms. on both sides as the bridge had a wide opening for me to go into the ditch. Later I cut into the trucker cabin to catch hold of the driver, then I came to know that a local rickshaw shopped without any prior signal. But this was a the worst incident in my 18yrs. of driving other than a brake fail of my 1956 Dodge.

Marshal
    View My Garage

What I have understood was Diesel engine do have lots of engine braking than petrol. VTS is a kinda guy where he didnt replace his brake pads for some thousands of kms. All he uses was the poor ugly stick..lol I meant the gear.

View My Garage

Yes, those close shaves at high speed are quite scary.

What you did was about all you could have done. As pointed out, practice shifting down quickly in normal situations. If you get into the habit and your left hand moves instinctively to shift down while braking you will stop in a shorter distance. On ghat roads wherever possible, I brake using only the accelerator and gear. This gives much better control and prevents brake fade.

Cheers,
    I do not honk. I downshift instead.

Marshal
    View My Garage

Thanks friends for sharing your experiences. As most of you said, the mind has to get tuned to shifting the gear automatically, the same way as we hit the brakes.... Will work on the same for better management of panic situations.....

Ravvee, good to see you back after a period of hibernation......

At this grand old age of 45 yrs, I am in the process of learning swimming and I realize how difficult it is to teach an 'old dog a new trick'..... Anyways, have to work on the gear shift to control speed rather than depend solely on brakes.....

Cheers