Thread: Bombay to Hyderabad avoiding NH9

View My Garage

Bombay to Hyderabad avoiding NH9

For the past few years the stretch between Pune and Hyderabad has been notorious for being bad in stretches. First it was the 4 laning between Pune and Indapur. To avoid that we went via NH4 till Kapurhol and went via Saswad, Baramati etc. to cut across to NH 9 after Indapur. Then the Indapur to Solapur stretch was being widened and we just grinned and bore it. This stretch is now done but some bottlenecks remain like the stretch between Hadapsar to Pune town and Pune town itself, these were overcome by driving that stretch late in the night or early morning. But, right now the NH9 has hit abysmal lows with bad stretches and pot-holes, craters and washed out surface being reported near Naldurg, the complete stretch within Karnataka (about 110 km) is in terrible shape and the stretch between Zaheerabad and Sadashivpet is in shambles. To cut a long story short, the entire length between Naldurg and Hyderabad (about 270 km) is a vehicle breaker and best avoided.

The shortest alternative route did not work out because of bad stretches running up to 20 or 40 km and none avoided the Hadapsar - Pune - Expressway bottleneck.

Last week when I was driving my GTX back home, I tried a rather long alternative and I thoroughly enjoyed the drive. It is mostly 2 laned state highways but if one does not stray, the progress is at a decent pace and more important - easy on the vehicle and driver.

The route is Bombay - Pune - continue along NH4 - Peth - turn left and the phata and proceed to Islampur - Islampur - Sangli - Miraj - Athani - Bijapur - Jevargi - Turn left for Gulbarga (resist all temptaion to take a shortcut as the shortcuts go via cement factories and terrible roads) - Gulbarga Ring road - turn right on to Gulbarga ring road - Ring road Gulbarga - Turn right off Gulbarga ring road onto the Sedam road - Malkhed phata - Sedam - turn right for Vasavadatta Cements - Vasavadatta Cements - Ripponpalli - (border into AP) - turn left at T junction - Kodangal - Pargi - turn left for Vikarabad & Hyderabad - Manneguda - turn right for Hyderabad - Hyderabad ORR (Outer ring road). Depending on the time of the day, either you get onto the ORR or proceed straight to get to Masab tank via Langar Houz.

Here is the map:https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=Bombay,+Maharashtra&daddr=Islampur,+Mah arashtra+to:Sangli,+Maharashtra+to:Miraj,+Maharash tra+to:Bijapur,+Karnataka+to:Gulbarga,+Karnataka+t o:Sedam,+Karnataka+to:Pargi,+Andhra+Pradesh+to:Che vella,+Andhra+Pradesh+to:Begumpet,+Hyderabad,+Andh ra+Pradesh&hl=en&ll=17.401998,78.446503&spn=0.0488 14,0.084543&sll=17.401343,78.414574&sspn=0.048814, 0.084543&geocode=FZATIwEdWAZYBCnB7URmMMbnOzFpjGSNj-2kXQ%3BFbEpBAEdVzJtBCmxw5hGKHXBOzEeZruFEVWuIg%3BFW wtAQEdS8JxBCnrYPCHgQzBOzGz3cHNUx-RNw%3BFXqcAAEdTPNyBClPUAoPyiPBOzFPTAGZIWaQhw%3BFdS 2AAEdDFODBClvcKqYfVXGOzHS6I9OeaHU7Q%3BFUNuCAEd-GWUBClXToJbRcfIOzGf7VdpNuPLRA%3BFewTBgEdclmbBCnJlN FCUhnJOzF-nzabiHc9jA%3BFYcTBgEdF0ykBClBySyNs2PJOzE966nI5RDR3 A%3BFbokCAEdQ0aoBClN93CSnsLLOzGzZEHV4-GHnQ%3BFWMvCgEdTU2tBClPhSjto5DLOzGMGy-Mk0sIIA&oq=Begumpet&mra=ls&t=m&z=14
    I do not honk. I downshift instead.

View My Garage

Re: Bombay to Hyderabad avoiding NH9

Thanks Ravvee for giving such a detailed info on the route.I will be leaving on Monday early morning at 4am from Panvel and should reach Hyderabad by atleast 6-7pm at my decent pace.
    FIAT USERS-Confidence is what you have when you don't really understand the situation.
    SANJEEV HARIKANT
    PALIO 1.2NV SPORTS(NOT YET SOLD)
    PALIO 1.3SDX MULTIJET(NOT YET SOLD)-DRIVING A JET ON INDIAN ROADS
    SIENA 1.2ELPS(NOT YET SOLD)
    FIAT 1100(NOT YET SOLD)
    VESPA 125(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA FZ16(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA R15 VER1(NOT YET SOLD)

View My Garage

If you want phone support while on the road - call!

View My Garage

Ravve,

The route you show looks to be nearly 200 kms more than the route Mumbai-Pune-Solapur-Hyderabad.
    Was a 200 kms extra drive worth than the 20-30 bad roads?
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

Competition Licence
    View My Garage

Thanks Ravvee for sharing the latest condition of the route.

2 years back i had done this route and remember having lot of Fun driving then. The road was at its best condition then. Amazes me how change of governments change road conditions.

BTW: I would suggestion another route as well

Pune-Solapur (NH9)-Akkalkot (15-20kms road in border area is bad)-Gulbarga-from here the rest of the route same as what Ravvee suggested.

View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by neelay2709 View Post
    Ravve,

The route you show looks to be nearly 200 kms more than the route Mumbai-Pune-Solapur-Hyderabad.
    Was a 200 kms extra drive worth than the 20-30 bad roads?
    Yes, it is!!

Quote Originally Posted by prashu_m2 View Post
    Thanks Ravvee for sharing the latest condition of the route.

2 years back i had done this route and remember having lot of Fun driving then. The road was at its best condition then. Amazes me how change of governments change road conditions.

BTW: I would suggestion another route as well

Pune-Solapur (NH9)-Akkalkot (15-20kms road in border area is bad)-Gulbarga-from here the rest of the route same as what Ravvee suggested.
    Pune to Solapur is the problem stretch. That stretch near Akkalkot is a total washout. If one drives till Solapur on NH9 one might as well continue to Pune as the Solapur to Pune stretch is in excellent condition. The whole idea of the alternative route is to avoid the terrible stretches between Hyderabad - Solapur and the one near Akkalkot.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Ravveendrra B; 19-12-2013 at 09:36 PM.