Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Useful Apps for Smartphones

View My Garage

Re: Useful Apps for Smartphones

I use Wisepilot and bought offline maps for 10 years and navigation for one month which is pretty cheap though.
    Punter

FIAT Palio S10
    TVS Apache RTR160

View My Garage

Yeah, I finally got the hang of it and now use it quite regularly. Its good.
    Cheers
    Ashutosh R Joshi
    Palio 1.2, Twilight Blue, 85,000 kms, Oct 2001
    Palio S10 (sold on 29 Sept 2013)

View My Garage

Did anyone try the new launcher for android namely Aviate Beta Launcher? I must say I'm pretty much impressed with it.

As of now, the launcher can be used only if you get invited by someone who use the launcher or else you should enter you email ID after downloading an app and wait until you become the first person in the waiting list. :(

Sadly, the five invites I had is exhausted. Anyway, if you inbox me your email ID, I could get someone from my circles to send you one.

Watch this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVDEq...e_gdata_player

Currently, I'm impatiently waiting for the Cover Lock Screen to be launched.

Sent from my Elife E3 using Tapatalk v4.1.4

View My Garage

Glympse : Glympse is the easiest way to safely share your location with someone in real time. No sign-up needed and no new social network to manage. Recipients receive a link allowing them to view your ETA and location in real-time for the length of time you choose.When the timer on your Glympse expires, your location is no longer visible. Best of all, recipients do not need any special software to view a Glympse. Send a Glympse via SMS, email, Facebook or Twitter, and recipients can view it using any web-enabled device. You can also send a Glympse to your Evernote account to save that journey.

I had used this recently and found very useful to let others know your location, especially in unknown places.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.glympse
    Linea 1.3 MJD E Pack. 75K, going steady and strong.

View My Garage

Guys, can anyone suggest a good anti-virus software for Android phones?

And I'm willing to pay for it too Should be reliable and worthy.

I forwarded a zip file from my mobile to my office mail id and it rejected saying found to be infected :( BTW since this is a Android phone, it usually is free from virus attacks so i'm not sure if it would ever be really infected with viruses?
    Last edited by Rudrah; 30-01-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!
    2008 Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Formula Red
    2014 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 150 (Sold)

View My Garage

I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security for PC since the past couple of years. They do have an internet security app for Andriod:

Kaspersky Internet Security for Android

Costs INR 600/-. Don't know of any alternatives for Android as I don't use one. But yes, Android is susceptible to malware attacks as it is an open source mobile OS. That's also one of the reasons why I chose the closed source Windows Mobile 8 OS and I am yet to come across reports mentioning malware attacks. Infact, there are no known anti virus applications available for the OS as yet.

"Windows Phone Store
    Other smartphone platforms have proven that malware can be installed by users from an app store. Microsoft uses a carefully architected Store submission and approval process to prevent malware from reaching the marketplace. All Windows Phone apps submitted to the Store are certified before they are made available to users for downloading and installation. The developer is validated and the certification process checks Windows Phone apps for inappropriate content, Store policies, and security issues. This process plays an important role in protecting Windows Phones against malware. In addition, Microsoft scans all apps for viruses before publication. Although most malware exists on the Internet, apps that are developed in unmanaged environments with minimal security precautions could be unwitting transmitters of malware. Apps are also signed during the certification process, which is required for apps to be installed and run on Windows Phones."

More here - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jibranj/arch...y-matters.aspx

Anyways, coming back to the topic, have quite a lot of useful WP8 / Nokia proprietary apps that I need to make mention of, some of which have been 'life savers'! I know most here are on the Android bandwagon (the only other WP8 user I know here is Ravvee), but life is more interesting with different flavours...isn't it? In another post....
    Last edited by roms; 30-01-2014 at 02:34 PM.
    The Italian - 2007 Canary Yellow Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport a.k.a The Bumble Bee
    The Czech/German - 2012 Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI Automatic
    The French - 2013 b'twin ROCKRIDER 5.0

View My Garage

Hello...woh din durr nahi jab Windows 8 will be attacked (Kidding )

Yes, the more open nature of the Android operating system makes it more susceptible to the kind of malware that we've grown accustomed to dealing with on Windows PCs. However with the way Mobile OS are designed there are bleak chances of viruses hitting in but malwares can through unknown Apps.

There is still no history of Android system getting attacked by any viruses but can't say in future because of the Open source nature of it. Google also has a security tool that verifies all apps that goes for approval to launch in their Play Store.

While researching, I found a couple of good articles on whether to install Antivirus on Android phones:
    Do you need antivirus on Android? We ask the experts | Digital Trends

Android OS does not need Antivirus Software

I'll research more on this and get back to you on this
    Sinfully Sexy, Shamelessly Raw, Explicitly Powerful. Nothing better than the Palio 1.6 Horse!

Seeded Driver
    View My Garage

Nice thread, but the list is getting scattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudrah View Post
    Android OS does not need Antivirus Software
    I agree, as it is based on the linux platform, and being a open source most of the security issues have been taken care.

I have the below in my phone

1. WithU
    2. FindMyPhone (Ios)
    3. Whatsapp
    4. Instagram
    5. Bookmyshow
    6. HDFC Bank
    7.Tapatalk
    8. Gasbuddy (for iOS) and aCar/Fuel (for Android)
    9. Google Drive
    10.Camscaner
    11. Waze
    12. Norton (for Android which gives features like locate by sending a message, sim change notification, erase by message etc)

View My Garage

When surfing on other forum I came across a app named GREENIFY which controls your games/applications running in background like whatsapp,facebook,candycrush,etc. If you are busy with meeting or driving than just freeze those apps and when free just click on app and press play button, the app starts again. It is helping me a lot and my battery consumption is reduced.
    FIAT USERS-Confidence is what you have when you don't really understand the situation.
    SANJEEV HARIKANT
    PALIO 1.2NV SPORTS(NOT YET SOLD)
    PALIO 1.3SDX MULTIJET(NOT YET SOLD)-DRIVING A JET ON INDIAN ROADS
    SIENA 1.2ELPS(NOT YET SOLD)
    FIAT 1100(NOT YET SOLD)
    VESPA 125(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA FZ16(NOT YET SOLD)
    YAMAHA R15 VER1(NOT YET SOLD)

View My Garage

Some of the apps that I've on my mobile that I found very useful:

1. Visit a City - (Came across this App while planning a Europe trip)
    2. RailEurope - (Same as above + helped to book passes)
    P.S. The above 2 needed only if incase you're planning a international trip

3. Camscanner - helps you scan & save your docs on your mobile
    4. Shazam - listens to music played outside and let you know which one is it and its details
    5. Tapatalk - for forums inclusing ours
    6. Amar Chitra Katha - some free along with paid stories that I used to read during my childhood days
    7. Amazon Prime
    8. Netflix

View My Garage

Reviving the thread with few worthy finds

1) Google Opinion Rewards :

Once you clear the initial steps, you'll get surveys based on your location. The surveys are usually a set of very few questions about a company, Google products etc.

The average earnings per survey is ₹ 10. If you always keep your location services on, you might get a notification asking you to review the hotel or restaurant you went recently on Google Maps. The review based surveys have higher pay out ~ ₹ 30.

You get paid in Google Play Credits and you can use it for purchasing apps, Google play music subscription etc.

PS : I've close to ₹ 200 now

Link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.paidtasks

2) Terrarium TV

One of the best apps out there for streaming & downloading movies and TV Shows. It's not available on Play Store for obvious reasons.

The app contains ad and could be annoying if you don't have an adblocker

Link - https://terrariumtv.com

3) Xodo PDF Viewer

I've tried almost every PDF viewers before zeroing on this one. This works out to be the ideal one for me ; it works flawlessly for textbooks that run in to thousands of pages.

Features include multiple document tabs, option to rotate, delete, rearrange and export specific pages

Link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...odo.pdf.reader

4) Nova Launcher + Sesame Shortcuts

The combo takes searching to the next level (supports contact search). Just for instance, to text a friend on WhatsApp : tap the home button, type in your friend's name in the search bar and directly open WhatsApp text window. Makes life much easier.

Links :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oilsw.launcher
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...esame.app.edge

Sent from my OP3 using Tapatalk

D.L.
    View My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by neelay2709 View Post
    you can feed in new destinations. I feel the sygic navigation by map my india is the best. But I use waze even when I am going home as it shows if the route i will be using has traffic snarls. Sometimes i re-route based on the icons on my route. also if I am stuck in traffic i can update the status for other users who may use the route.
    Google Maps gives the traffic info also rt? Yellow, Blue, Red highlighting.. What does Waze do more? I saw few of my friends in Malaysia using Waze. I thought it was a local app.

View My Garage

Waze has been developed by an Israeli company later taken over by Google.
    But i think you need internet to be on the whole time (not sure)
    Nice app though. You can even get touch with other wazers on your route via chat
    Neelay Shirali
    Mumbai
    Palio1.2 nv Sports
    My Stairway to Heaven

View My Garage

1. UTS - Unreserved ticketing system for Railways
    2. Zomato
    3. EPFO - where you can check your PF balance

View My Garage

Nova Launcher Pro and Poweramp Pro is available for just ₹10. Easily worth the money :D

Sent from my OP3 using Tapatalk